does your cat know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for those of you who have just had our babies, or those mamas who've done this before, did your cats act differently around the time right before you had your LOs? My cat is not a lap cat by any means, though she does't mind hanging out with me from a close distance. Lately--as in the past couple days--she's been VERY clingy--wanting to nap right next to me so that shes touching me, sitting next to me and staring at me... It sound kinda silly but I wonder if she knows something about the timing this LO has in mind?

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 12:03 AM

I don't know but my cat has been super-clingy these last few weeks too. She was like this with my first, too. DH jokes that she knows the "new pet"'s coming. (We referred to DD1 as the "new pet" in the beginning. The dog and cat were our babies. Now they're just pets.)

But once DD1 was born the cat wouldn't have anything to do with me for the better part of two years. In fact, it was only after DD1 weaned (at 25 mos.) that the cat would even let me pet her. It's funny that she's clingy now that DD2 is almost here.
#3 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 AM

My cat used to try to climb in the toilet to smell my pee when I was pregnant with ds! It was like he couldn't get enough of it, it was freaky. He didn't care about it before, so I think he knew.
#4 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 AM

My cat ALWAYS slept at DH's feet - except when I was pregnant! Then, the closer I came to birthing, the more he would lay on me to sleep!

FWIW - once your LO comes home, ignore your cat unless your LO is in your arms or your nursing. It sends a very strong message about where your LO ranks in the home order and will make it more likely that your cat will accept/respect him/her.

Good Luck!

Daughter of the King, wife to a loving husband, mommy to DS 10/26/05, DD 9/16/07, and my precious gone to be with Jesus 12/09.
#5 of 8 Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 AM

A few months after I first found out I was pregnant, so probably well into my 2nd trimester our cats started peeing outside their litter box! It was so awful! We tried everything but finally had to move them outside. I'm hoping that after the baby is born we can move them back in. They're doing ok outside mostly because my DH built them an awesome little house and put a lightbulb in it to keep them warm. Anyway, I miss my kitties.
My dog is fine though. She's always high maintenence and hasn't really seemed to notice my huge belly. I think she'll love the baby, she adored my nieces when they came. And yes, she's our "first-born" child.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#6 of 8 Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 PM

My cats didn't do anything different that I noticed before I went into labor. Though they were pretty freaked out by my moaning and such once I was in labor. Though, not nearly as freaked out as they were when we brought our baby (who promptly began crying) home.
#7 of 8 Old 12-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Out of our five animals only one cat really noticed Evangeline's arrival. I thought that was insane! She won't sit near the baby but will come and sit on my other side if I'm holding Evangeline to one.

The other cat is doing her best to IGNORE this new intruder. I woke up one afternoon from a nap on the couch; Evangeline was on my tummy and the cat was on her back!!!!! Aye yay yay.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#8 of 8 Old 12-20-2008, 06:54 PM

My cat wouldn't leave my side. He stuck close by and sat on me or next to me whenever possible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page