Finally, she's here! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went in Saturday evening for monitoring as a compromise to no induction. But I ended up changing my mind (I wasn't pressured at all) and decided to do the induction. I was paranoid about the GD. Also it didn't hurt that my OB was coming on to be the supervising OB that evening, so if I had to do it, I wanted it to be with her around. We started the induction with a foley cathether, and got to 4cm an hour after it was installed. My OB (and the one on call before her) were really gung ho about not using the cytotec, which made me happy. I was able to walk around etc with the foley. I got pretty crampy and they didn't expect me to go to 4cm that quickly. I was also at 50% effaced and -4 station (whaaaaat?). So then we had to start on the pitocin, which I didn't expect to do that quickly. That was around 11:30pm on Saturday. I was stuck in bed with that because they couldn't get the telemetry monitors working (surprise!) and honestly I ended up not wanting to move around too much. I sent DH out to get some food for himself around 9am, and my water broke promptly thereafter. The pressure was starting to get pretty intense. After 2-3 hours of that I went to fentanyl, which was great for all of 20 minutes, and then I got an epidural. I was crying and puking before the fentanyl and I do not regret the decision. I was on pitocin for well over 12 hours before getting an epidural and it was excruciating. I was having triple contractions with no chance to recover from them. DH was so good and wanted me to try more hypnobabies scripts (not because he didn't want me to get pain relief, but probably so I wouldn't be mad at him later!). After 17 hours total on pitocin, with some decelerations of baby's heartbeat (not a surprise!), I was 5cm, -3, 80% effaced. I made the decision to do a c-section and I have ZERO regrets! I seriously believe that this baby was NOT COMING DOWN.

My baby Allegra Faye was born at 6:14pm on Sunday December 14, 2008! She weighed 9 lbs 3.3 oz, 20.5 inches long, and a head circumference of 34.5cm!!! I incubated a hugely giant baby!

Unfortunately the c-section has caused some breastfeeding problems - she lost 14 oz in her first day and we HAD to supplement (14 oz is acceptable after a week, but not one day). She was dehydrated and just lost way too much weight. I am offering both breasts at each feeding (she hates the right one), feeding through a syringe, and then pumping. We pretty much just have to wait it out until my milk comes in. So that was an unfortunate consequence of the c-section (didn't get that initial bonding time), but also could be just because she's humongous and I'm not really producing colostrum, just a bit of milk. She didn't even sleep at all until we gave her a formula feeding. It was really a relief. I am still upset at giving her formula at all but I'll get over it.

The OBs signed my discharge orders Tuesday morning (1.5 days after my section! Apparently this is unusual, but I feel pretty darn good), but we only came home today because we wanted to make sure things were fine with baby. I am happy to report that she's doing great, just wanting my milk to come in SOON. The same thing happened to my friend that had a GD baby and she went to EBF as soon as her milk came in so I am hopeful.

One thing I found out is that GD goes away slower for c-sections and non-diet controlled GD. But I just realized I ate like 3 slices of pound cake (yeah, sue me, I wanted some flour and sugar in the worst way) and my BS isn't too high, so it's going away!

ETA: breastfeeding issues have nothing to do with c-section. she's tongue-tied, just like me! (i didn't know - but i knew my mom was unsuccessful feeding me). working with the LCs @ kaiser and hoping to improve soon!
#2 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! I'm glad you're feeling well - please take it easy and go gentle on yourself and enjoy your babymoon.

Also, might I suggest that in the coming months you spend some time processing your birth experience? (don't we all process them for the rest of our lives????) Sounds like you had quite the different experience than you were expecting, and while you feel peaceful about all the decisions made and are happy with the outcome, this may still be a lot to sit with and process.

Motherlove Herbals - More Milk Plus is a really wonderful supplement to take if you're trying to get your milk supply up. You can find it in many health food stores or online. http://store.motherlove.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Best wishes to you and thanks for posting your birth story. Hoping I'll have my own to post soon!

Mama to Noah Jude, 8/17/01, Emerson Lily, HBAC 8/3/03-8/3/03, Beatrice Ruth, homeborn 2/6/05, and Winter Juno Lucine, 12/22/08.:
#3 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM

Wow ... Congrats to you Mama ... soooo strong !!

Keep up the good work .. and enjoy this time with your babe ! Good luck !
::::

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
#4 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Congrats! Glad everyone is doing well.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#5 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Congratulations! :

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#6 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Congratulations! :
#7 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Welcome, baby! :

Mama to my sweet toddler DS1 (12/19/08), new arrival DS2 (04/18/11) homebirth.jpg  and married to my best friend for 6 years. 
#8 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Such great news! Congratulations!!! I, too, did not have the birth I expected but looking at my sweet little one reminds me that flexibility is key when raising her, right? That said, I do hope you find peace with the decisions you made during your labor. I just know that you did EXACTLY what you needed to do for you and your baby.

:::

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#9 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Congrats, Brandy!! I was hoping that's why we didn't hear from you...you were having a baby! :

Welcome to the world Allegra! I love that name I have a cousin named that and always loved it. I'm happy you are home and everyone is well and good luck w/ the bf'ing Hope all goes well and I can't wait to see some pics
#10 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 02:38 PM

congratulations! enjoy your babymoon!:
#11 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM

Congrats!!! Enjoy your little one!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#12 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 PM

Congratulations!
#13 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 PM

:

Congratulations! Love the name.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page