Kaius Tristan Ross has arrived! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I don't post very often, but I wanted to share my birth experience with you wonderful ladies.

Labor started with contractions 10 min. apart at 7am on Dec. 26th. My SO and I got super excited, so we spent the day walking around the mall and IKEA. By 1am, I was having to concentrate through contractions that were 4 min. apart. We called our midwife (we were planning a birth center birth) and she suggested we try and stick it out for another hour in the tub before heading on down to the center. My contractions got 3 min. apart during that hour and were fairly intense. When we arrived at the birth center, I was only 1cm dilated and not even fully effaced!!! I hadn't been able to sleep the night before, so at this point I was running off of 2 hrs of sleep in over 24 hrs. She offered me some Nubain (?) so that I could sleep a few hours at the birth center in the hope that we'd see more progress in the morning. Around 6am, I got checked again and could be stretched to 2cm :-( After walking the stairs and doing some squatting exercises to try and get the baby to drop further, we were sent home with an anti-nausea medicine that was supposed to help me sleep a few more hours. It totally didn't work, and my water broke at 11am. My contractions had varied between 10 and 4 min. apart ever since they first started and NOW they decided to become irregularly spaced. I spent the rest of the day trying to relax through the contractions when they did come and cleaning the house trying to get things moving quicker. By 6pm, the contractions were still far apart and I was only 3 cm dilated and fully effaced. We were sent to the hospital for pitocin to augment the labor by our midwife. The thought was, that I just needed something to jump start labor and if we tried castor oil first, I might be too exhausted to push. The midwife thought that I would have a long time of pushing since the baby was still ridiculously high at this point. Also, all of my labor was back labor, so I was already exhausted before we'd even hit active labor. My So and I agreed, so we started pitocin at the second lowest dose and 3 hours later, I was trembling, having no break between the contractions and feeling pushy. The midwife rolled in all the stuff to catch the baby while I rotated my pelvis while draped over the birth ball trying to move baby down further. Talk about some intense pressure and way more pain than I expected from labor :-) After I'd felt like this for what seemed an eternity, my midwife finally checked me and I was only at 7cm. We hit the shower for some pain relief, but after another hour, I was still at 7cm. At this point, my SO and I were feeling the pressure for the epidural from both the midwife and our nurses. With my SO's help, I was able to refuse it although it was SOOOOOO tempting. Instead, we had them turn off the pitocin entirely and leave us alone for the next several hours while we really got down to business trying to relax me through contractions. I started feeling pushy about three hours later and just started pushing. lol, I was afraid the midwife would tell me I couldn't push like the last time I had felt this way, so I just told Nick that he couldn't get her unless a head was coming out. Luckily, the midwife wandered in about 4 pushes later and could show me his head in this HUGE mirror they rushed in for us. About a half hour later, our baby boy came earthside screaming. He was SOOO alert and seemed to recognize both of our voices. I tore only slightly and we were able to leave the hospital 8 hrs later. He was born at 4:53 am on Dec. 28th weighing 8lb 7oz, 22" long. He's ADORABLE!!

Thanks for letting me share :-)

My baby is a TODDLER?!!! 12-28-08       toddler.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifblogging.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 AM

Old 01-03-2009, 01:29 PM

great story! welcome sweet baby!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM