Liberty Ann's birth story - 12/30/08 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*Pretty long, sorry *

So little Lib was due 12/20 and decided to delay her arrival just a bit. Worked out well for us though! Her timing was perfect!!
My mom arrived Christmas Day and the 26th we went in for a little check-up. Had to stay hooked up to the monitor for a while but everything checked out fine. Talked to my ob and found out she was going to be gone the entire week, I knew her vacation was coming up but didn't realize it was going to be that long! I have really loved her pre-natal care so I was disappointed but not devastated. She advised me to start a little blue cohosh, RRL tea, and EPO. So we grabbed some lunch, walked around, and went to the health food store to pick up that stuff.
Nothing happened the whole weekend (maybe a couple of tiny contrax) but Monday morning I woke up at 4am with good contrax coming every 8-10 minutes. They petered out though so DH left for work and mom and I went in again to have the baby monitored. She checked out fine and I had a few more contrax while on the machine. Also had some bloody mucus that morning and every time I used the bathroom.
We went back to the mall, had lunch, and walked a bunch more. Skip forward to Monday evening and around 6ish the contrax started up again and didn't go away but got stronger and more organized. DH came home around 7 and we ate dinner, I sat around, and we watched Planet Earth. We tried to get a movie on PPV (Baby Mama) but it wouldn't work!
Went to bed around 10 and tried to sleep but the contrax just got stronger and closer together. DH really started to track them at this time. Finally they were around 8 minutes apart then got stronger and were only 6 then 5 minutes apart. When they jumped in intensity I started throwing up. Blah! But it made me feel a lot better!
We had planned to go to the hospital at 4-1-1 so we stayed at home until after midnight when DH decided it was time to go! That car ride was brutal! I threw up again and felt every tiny bump in the road.
Got checked in around 1:30 and the nurses were awesome! They mostly left me alone and kept the lights dimmed and the distractions at a minimum. We had sent them a birth plan and I talked to the maternity consultant ahead of time so they were prepared for us.
When we checked in I was at 4cm. and just kept laboring until around 7 when they checked me again. The nurse had some difficulty measuring me and said I was around 6cm and 100% effaced. I just kept moving from the bed, to the chair, to my ball, and to the shower. The shower was incredible! So worth it! In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to get to the hospital was because I knew they would have continuous hot water!!
DH jammed my birth ball into the shower and I sat on that and ran the hot water all over me, it was fabulous.
The contrax were pretty intense but I just focused in on them and repeated "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13) and it really helped me!!
We got a new nurse around 7:30 and she was amazing!! Really helped a lot as things got more intense. I got back in the shower around 8ish and we think that's when I went through transition. I had four really intense, strong contractions and that's when I first doubted whether or not I could really do this. My mom then stuck her head in the shower and said the nurse told her that a hot shower had the same effect as demeral. (sp?) that really renewed my resolve and encouraged me a lot. Then when I was getting out, I asked DH if I was going to be able to "do this". He grinned really big and said, if you can't do it then no one can! Again, so helpful!! My mom and DH were amazing! All I had to do was say one word and they would massage wherever I needed it or hand me water or ice or apple juice. Stayed hydrated helped me a lot too.
Just before 9 the doc came in and checked me and I was ready to go!! : Could not believe it! I had made it!! Well, almost! Still had to push that baby out! He said my water was bulging and that it would be easier to push if he broke it so I said go ahead! Interesting sensation!!
This is when my mom and the nurse really stepped up! Dh had no idea what to do or tell me so he just provided support and that was awesome. But our nurse and my mom kept trying different things and giving me lots of great advice. It took me about an hour to figure out how to push and then it was a lot more effective. It really helped me to sit on the toilet and push and then I kneeled by the bed then got on the bed and pushed "froggy style". Then about 11:15 the doc came back and I *finally* pushed her out at 11:23!! She came out screaming and they put her right on me and she started trying to nurse! It was so amazing!! She latched on right away and sucked for about an hour.
She weighed 7lbs. 7 oz. *and we were in room 7 * and was 21.5" long! Just perfect! I was sure she would weigh more, especially being 10 days "late" but there ya go, she just needed more cooking time!
The hospital really was a great experience. I was so comfortable there and the nurses were never bothersome or irritating. They never recommended any pain relief to me and were only encouraging. Our second nurse was incredible!! She provided so much support for us! And she told us later that she had picked us because of what we wanted so she was ready for a "difficult" couple.
I had a 1st degree tear so that's been a bit annoying but things are almost back to normal! I was so incredibly pleased with our experience and really had a dream birth. (besides pushing for 2 1/2 hours!! )
The Bradley Classes were amazing, really helped me a ton!! And I could not have done it without my precious DH and my mom. They were great!!
Libby is doing fantastically! She nurses like crazy and is already chubbing up! Speaking of, its time for her afternoon lunch!!
Love to you all, I've enjoyed this DDC so much these past few months! Thank you all for your support!! Hugs and kisses to those still waiting! Your LO's will be with you soon!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page