If you are using CDs... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind are you using and loving? How big is your LO and what size are they in?

My stash is waiting for me at our new house and I can't wait to start using it. I got a variety of kinds to try since I didn't CD with Nolan. I'm hoping Keller will fit in them. He is almost 11 lbs at 5.5 wks, and I got size smalls and a bunch of BG one size.
#2 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM

They're so gonna move this thread!

I bought pf and thirsties covers which ds outgrew at about 3 weeks. :

We are battling bad yeast right now so I'm using sposies until that clears up and I can figure out what kind of dipes I'm gonna buy next. I liked the pf with covers for the most part but he is a frequent wetter and he was wet ALL THE TIME. Plus he's growing fast and I don't want him to outgrow another stash so quickly.

I'm thinking of trying BG one size too- the cost up front is a little steep though.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM

Im using BG 3.0 one size on my DD, she is 5 weeks about 9 lbs now .. and I absolutely LOVE THEM ... they are great, so soft, fit her well (even on the smallest button they fit well, a little bulky with the newborn insert but she will grow into them well I think) ..and the covers dry quick on the line .. of course where we live is very hot, all the time .. but I think anywhere they would dry quite fast .. no rashes etc .. GREAT dipes .. oh yeah and soooo easy to use and put on .. even for the people who may change your LO and dont want to deal with the whole cloth thing .. they wont know the difference .. :

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
#4 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that's awesome that the BG fit! That gives me hope. A big chunk of my stash is BG and I think they'll be pretty DH friendly.

I hope they don't move this thread. It's about what our babies, who are all about the same age, are wearing. It's about me living vicariously through you all!
#5 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 07:05 PM

We're mostly using PF's and Thirsties covers. We have a considerable amount of PF's so it's working nicely. We also have Happy Heinys sherpa fitted diapers (only 4) and I love those when DS is particularly fussy along with a few pockets (BG 2.0, and Drybees). I have a Loveybums diaper as well that I love to use and I generally use these diapers when I'm out and about since it's easier to change than a prefold. My DH is a PF junkie!! He's really good at doing them and we've found that we love using them in general for all of our diapering though we like the pockets for going out. Our stash was really put together before we had Rohan.

We're also battling thrush, but we always wash our dipes with vinegar as a mild disinfectant and we're due for a sanitize cycle (we have a HE front loader) the next time we wash. We love using cloth and it isn't nearly as cumbersome as the sposie companies make it out to be. It's great and I love that it's natural for our baby.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#6 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Ohh yeah .. I think the BG will totally fit your babe ... they, IMO, really are wonderful .. and yes they will be SUPER DH friendly .. its a breeze to change!

MOODYRED01 ... IMO they are totally worth the money up front .. that is if you have it .. i dont know how you feel about used dipes .. but have you tried to look for some on diaperswappers.com ? That can certainly save you a lot of money, and sometimes you can find brand new dipes for cheaper than store price .. I would totally check there first .. and then decide .. you may even be able to find a BG stash for cheap if you find you like them after trying it out ! Good luck, hope you find some that work for your babe

#7 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 08:29 PM

We're using a mixture of newborn/infant prefolds and fittedswith newborn proraps, small swaddlebees fleece wrap, small babyology longies, and a small stacinator wool cover. He's got skinny legs so if I use the small prorap it usually leaks.

I can't wait until I can afford to size up with some small fitteds for him. I also need some more covers for sure.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#8 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 PM

I LOVE the BG one-size. I can't say enough about them. I tried several varieties of covers and pocket diaps and these are by far my favorite. They fit her from the first week on. For night I added a doubler to make sure she doesn't leak. She's 10 lbs and 7 weeks now. I just bought my second batch of 12, so I'm using them exclusively now. Seriously can't rave enough about them.

BTW, I got them on sale at Nicky's for 14.95 each. I don't think they're still on sale, but keep an eye out for deals if you go with them. I think I googled "bum genius package".

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#9 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Doublers- Do I need to stock up on some for the BGs? I just have the inserts that came with them. Do I need more?

I have a Cottonbabies GC that a lovely, sweet friend gave me as a baby gift. The store is local for me for the next week, so it is burning a hole in my pocket!
#10 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Doublers- Do I need to stock up on some for the BGs? I just have the inserts that came with them. Do I need more?
I stuff them with an extra infant PF at night, just in case.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#11 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 10:40 PM

I don't really love the BG inserts. They start to stink after a while, IMO. Stuffing them with prefolds works fine, though. I like BGs pretty well. I need a few more, though -- I only have seven. Also, this baby poops all day long. He's never done! I've been using pampers part-time just because I don't have enough diapers in his size to keep up with him! Maybe I should just order one BG every couple of weeks for a while until I'm happier with my stash.

BGs are the best night-time diapers ever. Nothing else has strong enough elastic to prevent overnight newborn blowouts, in my experience.
#12 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 PM

Prefolds and Thirsties covers for nb/small sizes...will switch to *******'s Pants pockets for mediums (my fave dipe, and I've tried lots!), and fitteds w/ wool for night. May get some fitteds and wool for day as well.
#13 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 AM

My baby is 9 lbs 10 oz now. He is in x-small prefolds and x-small thirsties covers right now. We could probably move up to small prefolds but just haven't yet.

#14 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post

I have a Cottonbabies GC that a lovely, sweet friend gave me as a baby gift. The store is local for me for the next week, so it is burning a hole in my pocket!
If I were you I wouldnt buy extra NB inserts .. not really needed, IMO .. the ones that come with each dipe are fine .. I really only use the extra inserts at night as well .. not really needed during the day when you change more often .. so now you have more to spend on your stash .. And you can certainly use pf's with them as well ... or any liner for that matter .. hemp ..etc..

#15 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM

For now I am using fitteds/covers from andromedasattic.com (lilired). I ordered newborn size assuming she'd be about the same size as Ellie (just over 7 lbs), but here she is over 9 lbs and 2 weeks old before I ever got started. They fit good now but I'm sure aren't going to for long but that's ok, I didn't order a ton.

I used BG with Ellie and never needed doublers, but I use sposies at night. I just always found that no matter what kind of CD I used, they slept longer in sposies. And that was more important than cloth to me.

I only have 6 BG and a bunch of medium fuzzi bunz that have seen better days. I'm kind of trial running CD'ing this time around because I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to keep up with it. I want to at least part time but I'm not sure I'll be as dedicated as I was with the other two.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#16 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 10:31 PM

I love cloth diapering! I can't believe it, but we've basically become the spokespeople for it with our friends and relatives (we know a lot of pregnant women right now!). We have all ones and prefolds and, surprisingly, we prefer the prefolds with Thirstee's covers. Evangeline still fits in the newborn size but it's getting tight so we have her in smalls as well (from Green Mountain diapers).

We have a stash, too, of Kissaluvs and I L O V E those, too. I would be happy to have a whole weeks' worth of those, but I'll take the half dozen that we have.

We have the cutest woolen covers and I can't wait until Evangeline is big enough to fit them!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#17 of 29 Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 AM

Ollie is 3 weeks old and probably over 9 lbs now. We're exclusively using infant prefolds folded newspaper style with bummis and gerber (believe it or not) covers in size small. We only have 1 gerber cover, but I really like the leg gussets on it. I'm planning on ordering a few of the bummis with gussets and velcro and maybe some thirstees to try.

My older DS was and is still in CDs as well. We used KL0's on him during the newborn time and then switched to pockets and prefolds. We have quite a few AIOs for him as well, but I hate the longer drying time on them. We also have a few BG 2.0s. They're ok. I haven't tried them on Ollie yet, but we don't use them much for either boy. Are the 3.0s really that much better?

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#18 of 29 Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM

What exactly is BG?

I used prefolds, snappi and dappi nylon diaper covers. I have some of the other velcro covers (pro-raps, etc.) but honestly they don't work that well for me. Out of the diapers I've tried it seems like only the pull on covers keeps the poop from blowing out onto the clothes through the legs/top.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#19 of 29 Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
What exactly is BG?

I used prefolds, snappi and dappi nylon diaper covers. I have some of the other velcro covers (pro-raps, etc.) but honestly they don't work that well for me. Out of the diapers I've tried it seems like only the pull on covers keeps the poop from blowing out onto the clothes through the legs/top.
Bum Genius? They're all in ones. No covers or snappis. I don't use them, but I've looked at them. heehee.

Covers are hard. The covers that worked with DD, I don't believe will work for DS. He has chicken legs and the proraps are working wonderfully. Not a single blow out *knock on wood*. DD had a little more chunk on the bottom 1/2 and thirsties seemed to work well for her (until they started leaking like crazy).

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#20 of 29 Old 01-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
What exactly is BG?

BumGenius. We use the BumGenius 3.0 pocket diapers (one-size fits all). They also have all-in-ones.

#21 of 29 Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
Covers are hard. The covers that worked with DD, I don't believe will work for DS. He has chicken legs and the proraps are working wonderfully. Not a single blow out *knock on wood*. DD had a little more chunk on the bottom 1/2 and thirsties seemed to work well for her (until they started leaking like crazy).
Yeah, as a result of a lot of people giving me some old diaper covers/buying a few different ones to try on ebay I've discovered the only ones that I've never had a leak on have been the pull on covers. Even the few all in ones that I have (which I use basically as a last resort or when DH does diaper changes) leak. Disposibles of course leak poop all the time.... So far, through four kiddos I've had the best experience with the pull on covers. Irony being those are the cheapest ones!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#22 of 29 Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM

I'm using a combination of things. I love using fitteds and prefolds with interlock or knitted wool, and I have some fuzzi bunz and BG for going out; and at night, I use my fitteds with a thirsties or wool cover and she sleeps in a fleece sleepsack.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#23 of 29 Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM

We are using g-diapers as covers with prefolds inside. Also a couple of drybees ..all size small. I have several BG and happy heiny pocket diapers that were my older daughters. I haven't used them yet because I thought they would be too big. They are supposed to be one-size fits all though, so i guess i should try them.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#24 of 29 Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM

We're using Baby Kanga one size pockets. Sophie was 10lbs 12.5 oz. at almost 4 weeks.
#25 of 29 Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM

We're just using prefolds and covers and it's really been great...he was in the orange edge newborn size until probably about 6 1/2 weeks, then we switched to the yellow edge ones, which are still a little big at 8 1/2 weeks, but are working out pretty well (he's about 11 1/2 lbs at this point).

Our covers (I think we have 8 or 9 total in small) are all from Blueberry and Swaddlebees, my favorites are the minky wraps and the merino wool covers, which we use at night. We also have a few of their other covers, and even when DS has had a total blow out from the diaper, all of the covers have always contained it. I think there's been one where a little escaped up his back, but it was a ridiculous amount of poo to have come out of such a tiny being, and I think I could have had the cover on tighter...anyways, I can't recommend their covers enough :

We also have 5 of their AIO one sizes for babysitting, since I generally can't part with DS for long these have only been used once when we went to the AFC championship game, but they worked out well, esp considering that the friend watching him is completely critical of all of my granola tendencies, including CDing

Judy treehugger.gif wife to Brandon 7.15.06 -- Mama to Micah Rowan 12.08.08 -- EBF, babywearing, selective/delayed vax (none so far) -- expecting baby #2 in March 2012 and planning a homebirth!

#26 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 AM

We're using the BG 3.0 and I love 'em!
#27 of 29 Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I can finally join in on the CD discussion! What is working for us right now is Thirsties Fab Fitted and Thirsties covers. I love them! I'm selling off the other stuff in my stash and just going with these for now. I'm keeping my BG though and will try them again when he gets a little bigger. I'm using disposables at night still, and will probably continue to for a while, if not always. I have some prefolds that I'm going to try out as well, if I can find the darn snappis.
#28 of 29 Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM

WE're using lots of different stuff, but I seems to like the PFs with covers best... Bummis original covers, g diapers covers, and fuzzi bunz as covers. I bought a ton of imse vimse and I have to admit I'm not too fond, he's always leaking out of them. I bought mostly an assortment of smalls to see what I like and he's still "in" them, thinking I might order bumkins for sz med or thirsties or the covers on gmd.

Lea RN, Wife to Josh (5 years), Mama to DS1 (19 mos)
#29 of 29 Old 02-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We're using a mix of a whole bunch of stuff, courtesy of a friend. My favorites are the fitteds under a wool cover though. Actually, my absolute favorite diaper is a contour with two sewn in liners. It dries super fast, and the contour part of it allows to completely customize the fit. I ordered a few more KL contours, two to fit her now and for a bit longer, and then a bunch for when she's bigger. I like the contour aspect of them, and I got them on sale, but they don't dry very fast (my main complaint with the Kissaluv0 we have). We *love* the Stacinator wool covers. The aristocrat cover we have is growing on me. We only use it at night cause it's so bulky, especially over a prefold. We also have a few TinyTush diapers, and they dry really quickly. They worked really well until about a week ago, when we started getting leaks nearly every time. Not sure what happened there.
Anyway, back to schoolwork! Break time is over! It is incredible how much longer writing a paper takes when you have to do it while bouncing a baby on a ball with breaks to read her a story, change a diaper, giggle with her... I feel terrible about neglecting her while I work.

For greater things are yet to come...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page