Anyone else have another babe with food allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HX:
DS had major food allergies that appeared ( at least to me noticing) around 6-8 wks. This set me off on a huge and long road to figure this out and learn about them. I was able to figure out what was bothering him, with some help (muscle testing with DC) though after trying months of various elimination diets on my own. Someone then told me about their luck with muscle testing (I hadn't heard of this before) and so then that's when we did it. Anyway, I took all the foods out of my diet and things were great. Fast forward several years and most of the allergens he has outgrown, he still has 3 major ones and occasional flare ups with others but so easy.
I have some friends with kids that also have food allergies/intolerences to various degrees so it's nice to know people irl dealing with things.
---
So, I knew I may experience this with DD. I had heard that the possibility and severity can be greater with subsequent kids. But, I was hoping that I had helped my system along with what I had been doing so I was really hoping it wouldn't be difficult. I did however partake in some of my favorite things at the end of pregnancy well knowing they might be off my eating list for a few years (because of extended breastfeeding). Well, day 2, when my milk came in the eczema started in DD as well as many other allergy symptoms that were much worse than what DS had experienced. I felt so sorry for poor hurting DD. Luckily I learned things with DS so I took her for muscle testing right away. I got a huge laundry list of foods that I have taken out of my diet. The list is so long (20+) things and difficult, and mind you I was used to avoiding a lot with DS. It has made things a little better but still dealing with eczema on and off and other symptoms. I really think she's ultra sensitive and while I cook totally from scratch most of our food some I don't so that's what I think may be bothering her. I also have to get a few foods tested that weren't the first time around. Right now I'm collecting my list of things to be further tested. This is so much harder in terms of getting my babe symptom free than it was with ds. I'm thinking it's because her list is so much longer and her sensitivity is much greater. She's still so young though so it does make me nervous.
Anyway, just wanted to vent and to see if anyone else has another babe with allergies and how they compare with your other kids with allergies.

x-posted in allergy section.

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 AM

I do. So far I know that milk is a problem (really I should have known better then to ever go back on it in the first place, but I do love it so). I know there are other things bothering her too, I just haven't figured out what yet. When we had ds1 in for allergy testing of the 36 food groups that they tested for, he showed allergies to all but one (sugar. go figure!). DS2 tested positive for all but 3. DS3 hasn't been tested, but was born with an allergic rash all over his face. With taking out all of their major allergens for a long period of time, we seem to have gotten most of their symptoms under control. And now we start the process all over again with a brand new person!

I forgot about muscle testing. That's a great idea. It's a shame we don't have any money for that right now.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM

Holy COW 20+ foods! You are a great mama for working through this with your babies. I don't know about muscle testing but am off to investigate it.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 PM

Yeah, me. DD started showing signs at 3 months and went in to develop intolerances to dairy, wheat, tree nuts, coconut, and eggs. She is also sensitive to the naturally occurring food chemicals salicylates and amines. At 3 she still hasn't "outgrown" anything and has added oats to the list of things she reacts to, and she also has persistent digestive problems in spite of all the gazillions of things I've done to try to help her.

I figured I had a good chance of having another baby with food chemical sensitivity since it's usually genetic, but was hoping to avoid another LO with food intolerances. I did a whole bunch of things to try to heal my gut, none of which appeared to do anything at all, and I took lots of probiotics before DS was born and gave them to him from birth. Apparently it was pointless, because he has reflux and so far I know he reacts to chocolate (food chemicals), sulfur containing vegetables, and dairy I've eliminated the natural food chemicals that DD reacted to as well as gluten, oats, eggs, nuts, and legumes. We'll see how many other things he reacts to once I'm done trialing. I think the list of things I can eat contains about 20 foods.

I am glad I had DD first so I would know what to do for DS--I'd never have figured out the sulfur-containing vegetable reaction if I hadn't known about food chemicals already. His reactions are much clearer and quicker than hers, so at least from that standpoint it's easier to figure out what he's reacting to. And DH can see that he has reflux (wouldn't ever admit that DD had problems), so hopefully I won't have as much of a never-ending battle this time about avoiding foods. I just hope he doesn't end up reacting to a bunch of foods that DD can eat, or I'll be making separate meals forever.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 AM

Well, I'm still not sure about how to tell the difference between allergies and sensitivities, but I have noticed that ds is a lot more sensitive in general to the food I eat. He has been the most "colicky" of my 3 babes, and so far I have cut out soy and dairy from my diet (he is ebf) with good results. My mom is dairy sensitive, so does make sense, but I'm kind of sad because I love dairy and as a (mostly) vegetarian for the past 15 years it has been a major part of my diet and my family's (my older kids are completely veg). I have actually started eating poultry again, I just really need some protein. I am wondering if I need to try eliminating other things, too, though
I'm reluctant to give up wheat and nuts at this point. He doesn't really show any major allergy symptoms (no rashes, etc.) but he still gets a lot of gas and often wakes himself up screaming w/in a few minutes of falling asleep. Any suggestions?
I was having major issues with too much foremilk and a forceful letdown which my midwife thought might be contributing to his fussiness, but the overproduction seems to be easing up now, thank goodness. Sorry if it's TMI but his poops seem to be getting darker and stickier and less frequent as time goes by.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 PM

O is my second dairy-intolerant baby. My firstborn never had these issues, but the second one had me off of dairy, soy, nuts, and peanuts for quite a while as her digestive system toughened up. Odin at six weeks started to show the same symptoms, so I immediately removed all dairy from my diet and he's now starting to get better, fortunately. I suspect he doesn't have a true allergy, just as L didn't, but will grow out of it in a few months. We'll see, though.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM

I have lots of food allergies and each one of my children has something. I don't know about the baby yet as my kids don't tend to show symptoms until they start solids. My breastmilk is pretty allergy tolerant since I can't have dairy, soy, red meat, peanuts, or corn syrup. Although ds2 has an egg allergy but didn't show symptoms until he ate egg. I am hoping if katara has an allergy it is to something that one of us is already allergic to and not something new.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Starfish11: As for the muscle testing, it is totally unbelievable and dh thought we were totally wasting our money and time. However it did work for us. I was so greatful too after spending months doing various elimination diets w/ ds and getting no results (it's b/c I wouldn't suspected foods such as rice, apples...just to name a couple strange ones).
With dd (the newborn) I had it done right away when I saw her allergies started right when my milk came in. Although, I still haven't gotten her to baseline yet (totally symptom free) despite me avoiding the 20+ things.
It may be b/c one of the items is iodine and seriously, everything you don't make yourself totally from scratch has salt (i.e. iodine in it) and that's the only thing I'm not totally hard core about. BTW, I use sea salt w/out iodine. I also have a hard time believing she can't have iodine since your body does need a little. I do have to get several spices individually tested to see which ones in the mix, that she tested positive for, are out so maybe that's it. It's still frustrating when I'm avoiding all this stuff and she still has major eczema etc.
caedmyn- I was sorry to hear you're dealing with this again too, although certainly not surprising we are. I remember you from other posts with our first babes. I hope you are finding more foods to add into your mix. Having only 20 foods to pick from, bummer.
I'm not doing a set & structured food rotation system (although I know I should I just don't have the strict energy to follow that right now) but I do try to rotate things the best I can. I've also been so hungry since having dd (just like ds) and I think the feeling of what I can't have makes me eat what I can have even more. I'm for sure still baking, just all gluten free now and I rotate sweetners.
I still worry about dd though b/c her symptoms are so much worse than ds, even with all the elimination (although much better than not eliminating - I can only imgaine how dd would be now if I didn't start the elimination right away) and she's only 2 months old.
done w/vent...nak

Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 PM

BakingMama--I read somewhere that the salt used in processed foods is NOT iodized, only table salt is. I don't know if that's true or not. Avoiding foods definitely makes me eat more, too. I still have trouble refraining from binging on foods, a problem I never had prior to all the food restrictions when I was nursing DD. I did a dairy trial last week and ate most of a half gallon of ice cream the first day : Oh well, it'll probably be the last ice cream I eat until I'm done nursing as DS did react to dairy. I'm doing an egg trial right now and the first two days he was fine but today his reflux is worse. I don't know if it's the eggs or the cleaners I was using yesterday when I cleaned an apartment...I wore gloves, though. Every other food I've tried he starts reacting within about 12 hours so I'm not sure he'd have such a delayed reaction to eggs.

I hope you get all your DD's trigger foods figured out soon. It took me forever to figure out the cause of DD's eczema and hers was pretty minor. I can't imagine dealing with full-blown eczema.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1044332
This is the post that I talk a little about it.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 PM

It seems that I am joining you all. Just got back from a WBV and she wants me to eliminate dairy since my older DS is allergic. Keller has eczema and the red diaper rash. I was so hoping we'd have a "normal, healthy" kid this time around. At least we know how to deal with it, but still, I'm a little sad about it. I know there could be so many other things wrong, and in the big picture a dairy allergy is minor, but I was hoping we wouldn't have to face this again.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 PM

I just popped in here to say hi and this is the first thread I came across. Maya is having horrible allergies. I never dealt with this with either of my other kids. She has an appt with the Gi coming up and the dr keeps pushing formula. I can't seem to get her totally baseline for more then a few days because stuff keeps sneaking in. Right now, I know she has a milk allergy, and a tomato allergy. I have also cut out soy (I'm 99% certian this is an issue but my trial today accedently involved eggs too....) eggs, and rice. Its soooooooo hard for me. I cook a lot from scratch but dang it some days I'm just tired! and i can't even make like sandwhiches for dinner. The weird thing is she is not really fussy at all and she is gaining well......
Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

caedmyn: sorry your ds reacted to the dairy. i bet the tub of ice cream was good though and at least it's not in the house anymore.

i still haven't gotten dd to baseline. her face, neck and scalp are never clear, always in various stages of more eczema and healing eczema. she's got it other places but her head is the worst, poor pumpkin. although, she is usually always in a good mood and super social and verbal which is totally amazing. and while i'm still off the 20+ things it has to be several things i'm eating... maybe oats, tomatoes & probably some other things too. it's so hard to pinpoint b/c of not getting to baseline. i really need to go back to get the spices and other things that weren't muscle tested, tested. i've started to collect things in a bag i want to get tested. i also know that muscle testing is 100% but i was just hoping it would go as well (in terms of avoiding foods brought us to baseline) as it did with ds.

meetoo: that's great you can get to baseline, if even for a few days. btw, what's the symptoms you're seeing. that's crazy the dr. is pushing formula. my opinion that it would certainly make anything worse, worse, worse. basically the choices are soy and milk which a baby with allergies/food sensitivities shouldn't have. most dr.s just don't get it, and in fact make things worse. be very careful at the gi appt. granted i don't know your dc's issues but they may really want to do things or px things that really aren't necessary and could be very harmful/traumatic.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingMama View Post
meetoo: that's great you can get to baseline, if even for a few days. btw, what's the symptoms you're seeing. that's crazy the dr. is pushing formula. my opinion that it would certainly make anything worse, worse, worse. basically the choices are soy and milk which a baby with allergies/food sensitivities shouldn't have. most dr.s just don't get it, and in fact make things worse. be very careful at the gi appt. granted i don't know your dc's issues but they may really want to do things or px things that really aren't necessary and could be very harmful/traumatic.
Maya is having varying degrees, of green, muscusy, and blood stools. I consider her "ok " if i can get her yellow and mucusy. Anything with out blood is good by me. Maya needs to see a GI because we do need to rule out any other issues, and her sythoms are quite severe IMO. It may warrent some invasive testing at some point . I'm not going to be bullied into formula or tests I don't think she needs. But we do need to get the bloody stools to stop. She also has some skin issues but those do seem to be improving with my diet
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
Maya is having varying degrees, of green, muscusy, and blood stools. I consider her "ok " if i can get her yellow and mucusy. Anything with out blood is good by me. Maya needs to see a GI because we do need to rule out any other issues, and her sythoms are quite severe IMO. It may warrent some invasive testing at some point . I'm not going to be bullied into formula or tests I don't think she needs. But we do need to get the bloody stools to stop. She also has some skin issues but those do seem to be improving with my diet
How long have you been off dairy? I've read it can take up to 6 weeks to get completely out of your system. My DD had blood in her stool from dairy when she was nursing and it didn't go completely away until I started giving her probiotics (even after I cut out dairy for months). I gave her Solaray BabyLife which is dairy free.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
How long have you been off dairy? I've read it can take up to 6 weeks to get completely out of your system. My DD had blood in her stool from dairy when she was nursing and it didn't go completely away until I started giving her probiotics (even after I cut out dairy for months). I gave her Solaray BabyLife which is dairy free.
Hmmm I think its been like 4 weeks.......Its hard because inthe begining stuff kept sneaking in. Right now I generally do not see blood. If I do have been able to trace it back to a food. the last time some soy snuck by me. she still has mucusy poops but it does eem to be getting better(yellow and a little mucusy vs bright green and bloody and mucusy). I want her to see the GI(well actually I wanted the allergest) because she has had a lot of bloody stools. It was/is not a once in a while thing. If I eat any offending foods they get blood within a few hours. If dairy sneaks in the turn green right away, get bloody and also acidic almost. they give her HORRIBLE rashes. Like almost burns I'm going to look into that probotic. Where did you order yours from? Did you find it local?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM

nak

We are on a dairy and wheat/gluten-free diet. DS3 has the most noticable reactions, but all 4 kids react.
I can't believe how much softer my older ds's skin has become.

I think there's still something I'm missing though, ds3 still has stinky gas sometimes. And ds1's skin feels a bit bumpy on his back.
Not sure if it's more food sensitivities or something they're not getting diet-wise.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm... I'm not sure. Maybe you guys can help me figure it out?

I have no food allergies, just a tragic sensitivity to chocolate (gives me migraines). DH was sensitive to dairy when he was a toddler but can eat it without a problem now.

DD was a very fussy baby - she had horrible reflux and we treated her with Zantac. She was born at 37 weeks and had been IUGR so that may have contributed. Later she was diagnosed as being allergic to wheat, soy, and corn when she was a year old. She had a nasty eczema rash that had been around for a little while. We eliminated everything containing these products and their derivatives (boy was that challenging) and by 3 years old she had outgrown the allergies. Come to find out, research has shown a correlation between Zantac use and food allergies! The medication can prevent proteins from being broken down fully and so the individual's system begins to recognize them as foreign, hence the allergy that develops. Interesting.

DS is a very mellow, easy baby. Much different experience. Born at 39 weeks, nice healthy size. He has been gaining very well and thriving. No reflux, rarely gassy. However, he did develop an nasty eczema rash at about 10 weeks. I noticed that it flared up shortly after I started eating walnuts. So, I immediately eliminated tree nuts. It was so bad that I had to treat it with hydrocortisone. The rash has gotten much better - not on his face anymore but it is still on his elbows. We have always used dye and fragrance free everything so I don't think that's the cause. Could he really be allergic to nuts or could this just be a phase like the pediatrician thinks?

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a homeschooling SAHM to Annabelle 8/02 and Willem 12/08!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Tell me what you all think. I am on day 10 of a DF diet. Keller's skin is noticeably better. It is soft again like a baby's skin should be! However, he still has some rough red splotches, especially on his arms, and still has a red rash on his anus. Do you think it hasn't been long enough to get completely better, or do you think there could be something else he is allergic to?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Tell me what you all think. I am on day 10 of a DF diet. Keller's skin is noticeably better. It is soft again like a baby's skin should be! However, he still has some rough red splotches, especially on his arms, and still has a red rash on his anus. Do you think it hasn't been long enough to get completely better, or do you think there could be something else he is allergic to?
It's hard to say. When I first figured out my DD's last eczema trigger, it took about a month to completely clear up. Nowadays her eczema will be gone in less than a week if I stop giving her whatever she's been eating too much of. I get eczema from gluten and it takes a good month to clear up...although I've read that gluten can stay in your system for 6 weeks so maybe that's not typical for other foods. My friend has a dairy intolerant nursling and it seems like his eczema gets better within a few days of her reducing her dairy consumption (she hasn't mustered up the willpower to completely eliminate dairy).

Is the anus rash just red, or does it actually look sore? DD had a red butt crack red rash from 10 days old on, that finally cleared up a couple of months ago when I gave her a probiotic that's designed to support vaginal health (leftover from my attempt to test negative for GBS during pregnancy). It was never sore, just red.

Anyhow...I guess I'd probably give it a few more days, and if the eczema isn't improving and/or the rash looks sore, figure he's probably reacting to something else as well. JMO though.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
Hmmm... I'm not sure. Maybe you guys can help me figure it out?

I have no food allergies, just a tragic sensitivity to chocolate (gives me migraines). DH was sensitive to dairy when he was a toddler but can eat it without a problem now.

DD was a very fussy baby - she had horrible reflux and we treated her with Zantac. She was born at 37 weeks and had been IUGR so that may have contributed. Later she was diagnosed as being allergic to wheat, soy, and corn when she was a year old. She had a nasty eczema rash that had been around for a little while. We eliminated everything containing these products and their derivatives (boy was that challenging) and by 3 years old she had outgrown the allergies. Come to find out, research has shown a correlation between Zantac use and food allergies! The medication can prevent proteins from being broken down fully and so the individual's system begins to recognize them as foreign, hence the allergy that develops. Interesting.

DS is a very mellow, easy baby. Much different experience. Born at 39 weeks, nice healthy size. He has been gaining very well and thriving. No reflux, rarely gassy. However, he did develop an nasty eczema rash at about 10 weeks. I noticed that it flared up shortly after I started eating walnuts. So, I immediately eliminated tree nuts. It was so bad that I had to treat it with hydrocortisone. The rash has gotten much better - not on his face anymore but it is still on his elbows. We have always used dye and fragrance free everything so I don't think that's the cause. Could he really be allergic to nuts or could this just be a phase like the pediatrician thinks?
If tree nuts were the only thing that changed in your diet, then I'd say it sounds like he's intolerant (not allergic--allergic means something causes an anaphalactic reaction) to tree nuts.

I wonder if Zantac CAUSES food intolerances, or if the reflux is caused by food intolerances to begin with and the corresponding Zantac use is just a correlation. All of my DS' food triggers cause reflux, but he apparently has some structural issues too because he still had reflux after all the food triggers I could find were removed.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 AM

His butt is just red, it doesn't look sore. Actually, I think it looks worse right now because I have him in sposies. I found a pack that I didn't realize we had and I want to use them up since they were paid for and all. I'm hoping to finish them up and get his tiny butt back in cloth.

His eczema certainly got much better within a few days of going dairy free. It just isn't completely gone yet.

Aside from the skin stuff and poop color I would never guess that anything was bothering him. He is the happiest little guy. Well, except when you put him in the car. Then he becomes a screamer. Oh lord does he have some lungs.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM

My DD never seemed bothered by any of her food intolerances, either, and was a nice happy mellow baby. Actually DS never seems bothered by the reflux except once when I ate chocolate and he screamed for two hours in the night. But he is definitely NOT a nice happy mellow baby...just his personality though as eliminating foods and getting the reflux down to almost nothing haven't changed that! I'm so glad he takes a pacifier or going anywhere in the car would be a nightmare...he's an extremely loud baby!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Well it can take up to 6-ish weeks to get dairy out of your system, so I'd give it some more time.

I think I may have figured out DS's other problem. Corn! He seems to get really gassy when I eat stuff with corn in it (cereal, chips, and taco shells are the main culprits around here).

Bummer.

User Tag List