Anyone ECing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had no intention whatsoever of practicing EC - seemed like waaay too much work for me. Hazel, however, had other plans. The poor kid makes such a fuss before and right after she pees and will not pee in a wet diaper so I end up changing 2 to 3 right in a row... seriously, right in a row!!

I had mentioned in the LWAB forum that she seemed to pee a lot and during her fussy periods and another mother suggested that perhaps she didn't like going in her diaper. She also mentioned that I might be misreading her elimination cue as a feeding cue further contributing to the problem. She suggested I try EC but I still was unconvinced until one day early last week I changed FIVE diapers in a 40 minute period. What could be more work than that??

I did some reading on the EC board and found the excellent advice to just offer her a chance to eliminate when she first gets up from a nap, 5 to 10 minutes after a feeding, and during a diaper change. The results have been nothing short of AMAZING. From the first day we have had at least one catch every day, and only about a week in, I am now catching numerous pees AND poops everyday. And the difference in my child is amazing, soooo much less fussing. I'm really starting to learn her cues now, but more amazing is that she really seems to know what she is supposed to do when I offer the potty. She does a little squirm and grunt and lets loose!! We are still wearing diapers (I have no intentions otherwise) but we are going through them a lot slower.

Anyway just wanted to share and see who else is ECing and how its going.

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
#2 of 34 Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 PM

How interesting! Glad to hear that's working well for you. I don't think I'd want to EC without diapers -- I have a low tolerance for being peed/pooped on -- but if it was easy, as you describe, I might not mind, provided I had diapers for backup.
#3 of 34 Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not at all into having pee on me or our stuff. For us, it really has been super easy... though that may have to do with DD having a very strong desire not to go in the dipe. Also, we're being flexible about it.. if she goes in dipe... so be it! I would encourage anyone to give it a try... it is incredibly satisfying.

#4 of 34 Old 02-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Wow. This is amazing that you have had such success with ECing. I really understand, more than ever, that you have to do what is right for YOUR child.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#5 of 34 Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 PM

We are ecing also. Caught the first pee at 8 days old.
I have NEVER been peed or pood on (except through a leaky diaper)
We use cloth diapers. I keep a bblp (baby bjorn little potty) on the diaper changing table and I sit her on it every time I change her. She goes in it most of the time even if her diaper is wet. I have caught several poos as well.
My baby doesn't have cues that I can p-up on so the timing thing works for us. If she is unhappy I always try to potty her and it is amazing how she relaxes. She is almost 7 wks old and I have noticed that there is more pee in the potty at one time and less wet diapers. Also more poo catches. I think she is figuring I will take her and starting to hold it.
I find it very rewarding and wish that i had tried it more w/ my other kiddos. It has saved me quite a bit of diapers. We only went through 4 yesterday and that was checking about every hour.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 34 Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM

I am a relaxed ECer, I also ECed with my 2 sons. I always use diapers or trainers. I mostly pee my baby over the bathroom sink (only at home though, I wouldn't ever do that in a public sink) and have also held her over the toilet. I have a baby bjorn splashproof potty (I don't think they're easy to find now but got it when my oldest was a baby, he's almost 9) and she has gone in it a couple times but her feet don't reach the floor yet while she sits on it, and she hates being put on it when it is cold.

I really wish that more people knew that they could part time EC, and keep their baby in diapers, and it will still be good for their baby and most likely lead to easy(ish) and early(ish) potty training. Even pottying your baby once or twice a day will help keep the baby's awareness of their elimination functions and that can't be anything but a good thing.
#7 of 34 Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Hmmm.... I think maybe I'll try it when I change O in a little while -- he'll probably wake up soon. I have a full-size Baby Bjorn potty chair, not the one-piece little potty. Do y'all suppose that will work for him at all? And what do you do? Just hold them over it and hope they'll pee/poop?
#8 of 34 Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooh, I'm so excited for you to try!!

I'm no expert... but what I did (after reading a lot on the EC forum) was hold my daughter over the sink in a squat and make a pee noise (ssssssss) at times when she is likely to have to go. I also make the pee noise if I catch her going when her diaper is off so she starts to associate the noise with eliminating. A common way to hold the baby is to rest their back and head against your chest/tummy and hold their thighs in either hand. I get kind of tired in this position so I have been holding her with one arm wrapped around her chest under her arms and the other hand holding both her feet together in front of her in a kind of squat. I also tilt her forward a bit so the pee doesn't run down her crack and get me!! The most successful time to go for us has been 5 minutes after nursing. I have even noticed that she will fuss mildly around that time. I can also sometimes catch one after a nap (if I am quick enough) and a few minutes after a diaper change (I take my time changing the diaper and then hold her for a good long time over the sink). I also try if she is fussing for no apparent reason. As I said, after only a week or so, I really think she is catching on and she goes almost every time I offer... I don't have to wait as long now either.

Let us know how it goes!!

#9 of 34 Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 PM

I'm a part-time when it works kind a ECer. I plan on addressing it a little more seriously when it gets a little warmer and she's a little older like around 4 months. I really like the idea of using less everything!
#10 of 34 Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawillow View Post
she hates being put on it when it is cold.
I purchased a potty cozy for my bblp and it has made ecing a breeze. Katara doesn't like to be dangled I think she feels out of control and she won't go on the potty if it is cold so the cozy works wonders. I got it at the ec store. http://www.theecstore.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrainthailand View Post
A common way to hold the baby is to rest their back and head against your chest/tummy and hold their thighs in either hand. I get kind of tired in this position so I have been holding her with one arm wrapped around her chest under her arms and the other hand holding both her feet together in front of her in a kind of squat. I also tilt her forward a bit so the pee doesn't run down her crack and get me!!
I find that if I use the position where I hold her back against mine and hold her legs up I can sit on the toilet w/ us both facing the back of the toilet and kind of rest her legs on the seat, that way she isn't dangling and my arms don't get tired)

My 6 yr old ds took her to the potty this afternoon and she went pee in it. He was so proud that he caught a pee.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#11 of 34 Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 AM

I've thought of it...some nights when he's fussy he refuses to wear a diaper, so in order to get sleep we both sleep on a pile of towels and I get peed on a few times in the night.
But I haven't read up on it at all...maybe I should.
#12 of 34 Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 PM

When I first heard about EC-ing it was here on MDC - so just before DS was born. I thought, NO WAY, lol. But now, I've noticed DS HATES being in a diaper, too. One pee and he freaks. So now I'm thinking...hmmm

It's free to try and I can do it part time like I've read here, so maybe this weekend we'll give it a try. Can't hurt to try anyway. My DH thinks I'm nuts, lol.
#13 of 34 Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Yep I'm doing it part time just offering opportunities when he is fussy or wakes up and I have a minute. It's really easy and he never pees on me (which is more than I could say for kids I didn't EC. Counterintuitive at first glance: ec and get peed on *less*. Tried to convince a mainstream birth board of this, got brushed off as a weirdo w/ too much time on my hands(i only wish.)) He's in prefolds all the time, too cold for naked even if I wanted to.
#14 of 34 Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 PM

Another relaxed ec'er here. We started at around 2 weeks, and have been pretty steady about it. I find ds usually wakes me up around 6 am by getting all wiggly (we cosleep), and I take him to go potty in the toilet (his back to my tummy) and usually he has a nice poop, and often a pee. Then I get him rediapered and dressed and we go back to sleep until the older do's get up. It's a great way to start the day, actually! His elimination seems to be getting less frequent right now, but I actually haven't had to change a poopy diaper in over 2 weeks. How cool is that? The rest of the day, I try to take him whenever I'm changing him, with various degrees of "success". I ec'd starting at 6 months with my older ds, and despite thinking it would be way too hard (and messy), he and I caught onto it pretty much right away and he was totally out of diapers by the time he turned 1. Starting with a younger babe is exciting, but I have no desire to give up diapers at this point. Probably when it gets warmer out we'll start doing more time w/o a diaper. One warning, though - I think because he spent so much time w/o a diaper on, my older ds really preferred going "pants-free" till he was 4 or so (at home, at least)! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...orngtongue.gif
My favourite ec book is by a wonderful woman named Ingrid Bauer, called "Diaper Free, the wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene". There;s lots of great photos and tips, and she does a great job of explaining how ec is really about deepening the level of communication between you and your lo's.
#15 of 34 Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 AM

Thanks for the inspiration Terra! I bought this little potty at Ikea a while back ($4!). I think we'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm all for less diapers and earlier potty training!

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#16 of 34 Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
I find that if I use the position where I hold her back against mine and hold her legs up I can sit on the toilet w/ us both facing the back of the toilet and kind of rest her legs on the seat, that way she isn't dangling and my arms don't get tired)
<giggle>
Terra is in thailand, and she probably has a traditional in-floor toilet ... you don't sit on those.

I could be wrong ... it was 15 years ago, when I was there.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#17 of 34 Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
<giggle>
Terra is in thailand, and she probably has a traditional in-floor toilet ... you don't sit on those.

I could be wrong ... it was 15 years ago, when I was there.
Well maybe someone else can take my advice
I would only use the bblp then bcs dd won't let me dangle her at all.

#18 of 34 Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM

I'm thinking about buying one of these - http://www.theecstore.com/index.php?...roducts_id=547

partly because i'm a little squeamish about the idea of pooping in the sink (dumb, i know, since i wash poopy diaper covers in the sink). i prefer overall, the idea of going directly in the toilet - DD2 was ready for the potty at 15 months, and we didn't do EC, but I'd like to this time. I don't like cleaning free-standing potties, so we just used a seat-ring that she carried around for over a year.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#19 of 34 Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

You are soooo right about the toilet situation... I don't mind the squatters too much, but late in pregnancy every trip to the toilet was an adventure!

Fortunately we do have a Western-style toilet in our home and I am loving this new position - thanks theboysmama, much more comfortable for us both I think. Here's a photo DH snapped (forgive my attire, it was first thing in the morning!).

#20 of 34 Old 02-25-2009, 02:33 PM

My EC update-- I'm not holding her over the sink anymore. She'll sit on the bjorn potty or let me hold her facing backwards over the toilet. She's had some really messy poopy diapers and I'm trying to pay more attention and catch those in the potty. For a really long time she would do a little tiny poo in almost every diaper, but now she is saving it up for messier diapers, less often.
#21 of 34 Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Ok, so we have yet to get him over the potty, he hates it because it's cold...still working on that. He's changing his cues on me, too. Not making faces, etc. So I'm trying to use timing (right after eating, nap, bath, etc). He won't sleep for more than 1/2 an hour in a CD, but will sleep for 3-5 hrs in a disposable ().
#22 of 34 Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrainthailand View Post
You are soooo right about the toilet situation... I don't mind the squatters too much, but late in pregnancy every trip to the toilet was an adventure!

Fortunately we do have a Western-style toilet in our home and I am loving this new position - thanks theboysmama, much more comfortable for us both I think. Here's a photo DH snapped (forgive my attire, it was first thing in the morning!).
Great photo!!! I am so glad that position is working for you.

CAKJNH - dd won't go on a cold potty either so we use a potty cozy on her potty bowl and on her bblp. it seems sill but works great!

I am having so much fun w/ ec. dd has started to hold it for longer periods and is letting me know when she needs to go through cute little grunting noises. She has been dry at night for 6 out of 8 nights (5 in a row) and we had 12 catches yesterday (4 misses). It is just really awesome to have her communicating w/ me for eating and eliminating.

#23 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKJNH View Post
He won't sleep for more than 1/2 an hour in a CD, but will sleep for 3-5 hrs in a disposable ().
MINE TOO!! Except at night. Then it doesn't seem to bother her. I'm sticking with the cloth but dealing with the fact that she's going to wake up twice for pee before she goes down for a long stretch. I'm working hard on daytime naps right now so after a change/potty I try to put her right back down.

Our update: Still going strong. Some days we catch 1/2, some days a bit less. I'm wishing she would save those pees up a bit!!! Still lots of frequent little ones. Unless I catch the one right after a long sleep - that one is LONG!!!

#24 of 34 Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 PM

We started ed with ds right when we got home from the hospital. It went well.
This time around I decided to wait until dd was older, ~ 3 months, to do it full on so will be starting in the next couple weeks. We've been doing cue sounds which is super easy for anyone and she's out of her diaper asap when she goes. We also go through lots of diapers. So thanks for the thread, a good reminder I need to start.

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
#25 of 34 Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM

yay! Zoe peed in the toilet! after only sitting with her one minute! now if i could only figure out her poopin' schedule!

(7 weeks old, first try!)

omg - I just tried again, after nursing, and she pooped!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#26 of 34 Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yippee!!! :

Catching those poops is sooooo addictive!

#27 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM

sure beats having to change and wash a poopy diaper.

#28 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Absolutely...

We had such a good day today!! Caught 7 pees and 2 poops and nary a dirty diaper until late afternoon. I have friends staying with us right now and they are absolutely amazed!! Frankly I am too. We just got back from a long weekend at the beach where I was using sposies and taking an EC break - I thought it might take a few days to get back into it but Hazel was ready I guess. The night we got back she started fussing, I thought she was wet so I opened the diaper... it was still dry, I stood there for a minute playing with her (don't know why I didn't take her to the toilet)... and then she peed all over me

That is a 'catch' in my book.

#29 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Day 3 - my older daughters are amazed and can't wait to tell Grandma that Zoe can pee in the toilet! Middle DD is potty training her baby doll now!

I am generally pretty lazy, but if Zoe isn't asleep after nursing, I have dragged my butt to the bathroom, where we have been consistently getting pees!! It's quite rewarding. Occasional poops, but she's still at that stage where she's always poopin' so it's unpredictable. My frustration is that when she wakes up wanting to nurse, she'll poop while she's nursing ...

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#30 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM

I find that a potty bowl between my legs was really useful when dd was pooping when she ate and a bblp next to the bed was perfect for bedtime pottying and one by the changing table and one in the car.

today was not a good ec day we are batting less than 50% at this point. Most days we have been catching about 10 out of 14. dd doesn't feel well and is a bit yeasty so I think that is part of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page