How do you exercise? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to walk every day, but I live in a valley full of mills - in my town we have a charcoal plant, a paper mill, a plywood mill, and one other. So all too often, the air quality is 'bad for sensitive groups', so I don't take Malachi outside.
I can put him down once in a while, and sometimes DH can hold him for half an hour. So when that happens, I pull out my hula hoop
It's odd, but it sure does the trick, since my goal is firmer abs rather than losing weight.

Anyone else have unorthodox methods of quick exercise? Or tell me your routine, I know one mama swims...
#2 of 15 Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM

We are going this weekend to sign up at the YMCA. They have an amazing family deal and they are really good with kids(they came to my DD's school for an after school program.) And we will start walking around the neighborhood. I have to do something...I hate being unfit! It's even hard for me to just get myself off of the floor...I have NO muscles anymore.
#3 of 15 Old 02-05-2009, 08:33 PM

I work. Some days my 30 minute lunch, 1/2 of which is spent pumping is my only chance to sit down.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#4 of 15 Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM

Not sure if this is unorthodox but I discovered the other day that there are some short little workout routines on youtube.com. I was intending to bookmark a few ab and glut routines and throw them on when I had a second. So far, my only exercise is walking and carrying the kiddo around. I think it is pretty effective though... I have never squatted as much in my life as I do when I am going about my business with Hazel asleep in the sling!

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
#5 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 AM

I lost a ton of weight already, but I need to get the rest of it off since I can't afford to replace all my pre-pregnancy clothes. Not sure how much ab stuff I'll be able to do since I'm still healing from surgery so I may have a pouch for a while still.

My plan for now is to start running again as soon as the baby goes to day care a week and a half from now. There's a treadmill in the common building at my apartment complex that I can use until the weather gets nicer and I can run outside. I have access to the gym at school, too, but the treadmill here will be much more convenient. DH and I may run a few road races in Boston over the summer, it'll be nice to have a goal to work towards.

Normally I ride horses, but I don't have time and we don't have money for that right now, running is free so that will have to suffice
#6 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 AM

Ugh, I have never felt so much like I want to exercise and not had the energy! It's driving me crazy. It's supposed to be warm this weekend so we are planning on taking baby and the dogs to local parks and walking them.

We ordered a Wii fit, too, after some recommendations. I think it will be a good way to ease into more intense exercising.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#7 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM

I go up and down our stairs and do little work-outs on my exercise ball. I have an iphone and I bought an app that shows me a bunch of different workouts and it tracks my progress.
I love running too but it is way too cold yet so we're going to get a treadmill off craigslist.
I still need to lose 15 lbs so I'm hoping this works!! I hate feeling so flabby!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#8 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM

Waiting for the six-week all-clear, but planning to do yoga again. There is a "Mommy and Baby" fit class too. We have nice walking trails. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to do my yoga...there aren't any mommy and baby yoga classes here, and the gyms won't take babies in childcare before they're 6 months old. (Even if I was willing to leave her in there, which I'm not sure I am, KWIM?)

Took a walk with DH and the dog the other night while MIL was here. Goodness, it's been a long time...since I exercised AND since I had time alone with DH!
#9 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Exercise... what's that? :

I guess that's why I'm still 20 pounds overweight. I carry the baby a lot and chase after the 3 yo. We've been to the park a few times, but its usually too cold. There's a gym at work, so I might start using that. It'll probably be a year or so though before I can use it though. I'm with Dsaucone though.. I only get a half hour lunch break and spend most of that pumping.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#10 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM

I am going to walk at the Y and eventually workout there. I walked up until the Friday before the baby was born (12/5) and really want to restart. I would have gone in on Monday (12/8/) to walk, but my baby was born on Sunday. It was fun freaking out the ladies at the childwatch when they'd ask me when I was due and I would say "Today" or "Yesterday". My 2 year old loves going to childwatch, but I don't know if I'm ready to leave the baby there yet. I can put him in a sling and walk the track. Maybe not I won't be passed by the old ladies who also walk the track like I was towards the end of my pregnancy.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#11 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 PM

I put the baby into a wrap, turn on some music and dance her to sleep.
#12 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLaura View Post
Exactly.

It's hard to exercise when it's so cold outside. Plus I still haven't had my 6 week pp check up and I'm still bleeding. So I'm using those things as excuses not to exercise.

There is a mommy fitness class I want to sign up for though. Baby has to be at least 8 weeks which is why I haven't signed up already.
#13 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 AM

I guess maybe you could call it exercise. We worked on packing and moving the last 1.5 weeks. Besides wearing Malachi, that's really all the "exercise" I've had, save for going grocery shopping every once and awhile.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#14 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 12:57 PM

I wear an 11 lb baby and chase a 25 lb toddler while trying to do some housework and keep the kids entertained.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#15 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLaura View Post
My thoughts exactly . By the time I get both kids in bed for the night, I'm exhausted. DH keeps encouraging me to exercise, to help with PPD, and just an overall better feeling, but it's so hard during the day with both of them.

I really do need to get on the ball (pun intended) and start working on strengthening my ab muscles.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page