How are your nipples? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have already check the Breastfeeding Threads but wanted to ask here...

Have all of your nipples healed up?

My babe was born 12/7 and I still have a cracked left nipple. Right one is fine...

I've done all I can to fix his latch, I've pumped for 5 days to give the nipple a break, I've aired it out. I've tried Lansinoh. I've tried breastmilk. I've tried saline rinse. I don't have thrush, neither does baby...

any ideas, suggestions?

Lea RN, Wife to Josh (5 years), Mama to DS1 (19 mos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 03:20 AM

I wish my boobs were getting worked over...
#3 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 AM

I alternated polysporin and saline soak to get my cracks to heal. My LC recommended the polysporin (aka double antibiotic ointment) b/c it's safe for baby. Not neosporin though (aka triple antibiotic ointment). I also kept my nipples constantly moist (with either lansinoh or polysporin) and put a little square of plastic wrap over the nipple. But beware, this creates a great environment for yeast so I'd also take acidophilous 3x a day.

I hope this helps! That's a long time to have a cracked nipple. Ouch

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#4 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 04:02 AM

put lots o breast milk on it. It will help prevent infection.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#5 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 AM

I'm still using a shield, so mine are great actually! I know I should make more of an effort to get off the shield but, it makes things so much easier for ds and so much less painful and frustrating for me. I figure it may not be as preferable as going without but, still better than the bottle (haven't even taken bottles from my pump kit out of the packaging yet). The day my one and only shield gets a hole in it or rips will be one LONG, terrible day. I've been meaning to go up to the hospital and buy one but, haven't done it. I was even at the hospital twice to see my friend's new baby just earlier this week and didn't bother to pick one up. Oops!

The first week was tough even with the shield, then the pain revisited the 3rd week when ds was going through some colic and wanting to nurse 24/7. Since then it's been fine. Latches are much better and he has stopped clamping down at the end of feedings for the time being. Ds is a few days over 2 months old now. Crazy!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#6 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 AM

I pumped until he was a month old, then transitioned with a shield...so my nipples never got hurt. I try to quit the shield every day, but he's not ready yet...I guess I'll get the nipple adjustment thing down later than everyone else.
#7 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM

My right nipple is the same way, but we both had thrush. We're still fighting it, but the nystatin is helping (yogurt etc just wasn't enough). The crack wouldn't go away so I put the nystatin on then lansinoh.

The left nipple is fine and go figure, he HATES that side, lol.

Maybe the shield is a good idea, maybe your nipple just needs a break to completely heal without being touched? We've had lots of nipple issues since DS was born. We're getting there though!
#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM

All good. Breastfeeding has gone well with both babes. We were probably all healed up about 1-2 weeks later. Definitely by 2 weeks. I can't imagine having trouble this long. Way to stick with it

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#9 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have to try the polysporin, I knew neosporin was a no no, but sheesh, something has to give and the lansinoh isn't cutting the mustard.

On the good end though, ds slept through the night the last two nights! Can't hardly believe it! : )

Thanks for your help and support.

#10 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

By any chance, do you know which two antibiotics are in polysporin vs. neosporin?

#11 of 12 Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 PM

You don't use soap when your showering on your nipples, do you?

Is there any anatomical reasons why the nipple may be less resistant to healing? Such as, with me personally early on I had difficulty because one of mine is quite large.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#12 of 12 Old 02-12-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

No, I don't use soap. Just rinse with water in the shower or saline if particularly painful during the day.

I don't think there is anything different about this nipple. It is my larger breast, thats all I can tell.

Yesterday I got some EArth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter to try as well. it seems to be improving.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page