Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   December 2008 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/446-december-2008/)
-   -   And his first solid food was... (http://www.mothering.com/forum/446-december-2008/1041256-his-first-solid-food.html)

Swandira 02-12-2009 08:40 PM

High-fructose corn syrup!:

My big kids were eating lollipops from their Valentine's-Day treat bags, and the older one said, "Hey, Odin, try this!" and put his dum-dum pop in the baby's mouth. Fortunately I was holding him, so I could remove it immediately.

My firstborn and I had a talk about feeding babies without getting their mommies' consent.

I hope I'm the only one here whose baby has been fed solid "food"! (If that term can properly be applied to Dum-Dum Pops...)

mamajama 02-12-2009 08:44 PM

Hey that's kinda funny because my baby's first food was a lollipop too. : I was with DS1 at a movie and was desperate to keep the baby quiet so he could enjoy it. I gave DS2 the candy of my own free will.

ETA: sorry I just realised this was a DDC. Said baby is now 6. heh.

theboysmama 02-12-2009 10:27 PM

dd hasn't had anything yet but ds2's first solid "food" was a watch battery. Courtesy of ds 1 who was 2. Didn't know it until I found the shiney corroded battery in his diaper. Ds 2 said yum yum.

sarahmagoo 02-13-2009 11:18 AM

My son's first solids was a lollipop as well. : It was after Halloween, though. My daughter was lying next to him on the floor and I was in the kitchen. All of a sudden, I heard "Here, Jacob, try a lolli" and she stuck it in his mouth. Sophie hasn't had anything but milk yet. We'll see if we make it to 6 months without one of the big ones feeding her something.

FondestBianca 02-13-2009 02:40 PM

I don't know that you can call a tiny hint of something their first "solid food". Unless it's enough to digest. Ds has had tiny little daps of some liquids and liquidy foods. For example mushing the tip of my finger into a black cherry then dabbing the juice on his lips. He's already had a little of this and a little of that via that method at this point. Not nearly enough of anything to actually provide sustinance.

namistenicole 02-15-2009 03:05 AM

I drop so much food on DD while she sleeps in the moby wrap I'm surprised nothing has landed in her mouth. I did find some cookie crumbs in her ear once

arahzel 02-15-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistenicole View Post
I drop so much food on DD while she sleeps in the moby wrap I'm surprised nothing has landed in her mouth. I did find some cookie crumbs in her ear once
LOL! I had DH cracking up one night because I kept dropping a chicken wing on Brenna's head while trying to eat dinner last week.

Swandira 02-16-2009 01:39 PM

I've often dropped breadcrumbs into my bra while I was nursing him -- I bet he's swallowed crumbs occasionally too. I guess babies have to live in the world like the rest of us -- no sterile environment for them!

Mamaperk 02-16-2009 03:59 PM

Just last night I was in bed nursing Rylie while eating spaghetti ... she pulled off and had her mouth open and a tiny piece of spaghetti w/ the red sauce fell into here mouth and I had to dig it out. LOL! It was tiny - crumb sized but still. LOL!

avivaelona 02-16-2009 06:40 PM

MamaPerk that's funny.

Don't worry Nealy, I don't think that counts as solid food You still get to feel proud when he his REAL first solids

J. was a bit older when he had his first "junk" food, he was 8 months but really still had only tried a few solids (he took to them late). One day at a party though he was being carried in the sling while I got myself a plate of dessert. He knew the good stuff though and he dove for the brownie and stuffed it in his mouth before I could stop him. At that point he hadn't had nuts, eggs, chocolate or wheat...basically everything in the brownie. We watched him nervously for a reaction that whole night, but luckily he was ok with all those things. Little booger hadn't had more than a mashed sweet potato and some banana before that.

LVale 02-16-2009 06:48 PM

I would not consider a lick of a lolly a solid at all. I count it when they actually gum and swallow.

allaiter 02-22-2009 11:57 AM

my grandmother gave her butter when I was there 3 weeks ago.....so she was 7 weeks old and had a finger full of butter........i know she fed her kids food at 2 months and they turned out just fine....but please.....not mine...

namistenicole 02-22-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaiter View Post
my grandmother gave her butter when I was there 3 weeks ago.....so she was 7 weeks old and had a finger full of butter........i know she fed her kids food at 2 months and they turned out just fine....but please.....not mine...
Goodness! My MIL tells funny stories about how when DH was a little baby they lived in Germany and she'd catch everyone from the nanny to neighbors feeding him sugar cubes because they thought he was too skinny.

Starfish11 02-22-2009 11:10 PM

I lived in Italy when I was a child and we were constantly served sugar water HOw nutritious, right?!

I'm sure your sweet baby boy will never even know he has had the elixir of the fast-food nation. I, too, am in the camp of all the stuff falling on Evangeline's head as she is in the sling.

Erica That's hilarious!

allaiter 02-23-2009 12:06 PM

i find so many different things in my bra/sling and in her neck folds at the end of the day. you would think i did not know how to eat.