What age do they smile AT you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(you would think I would know this by now, but no. ) So far not yet here, but the "I'm asleep but i feel awesome" grins are cute in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Around 4 weeks. But I even like the "I gotta burp" smiles lol
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM

We had lots of contented smiles after about three weeks. At two months and a few days she really started to smile big time at us, February 9 to be exact

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:21 PM

He'd been smiling (a lot in his sleep) since 3 or 4 weeks, and at 6 weeks he looked up first thing in the morning, saw me looking at him, and smiled huge with his entire face. Then he'd do it any time he saw me arrive when I hadn't been there before, and now it's a morning ritual, when we all get up for the day he'll smile at whoever's near for about 15 minutes.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 AM

lots of sleep smiles starting around 4 or 5 weeks... but the first smile at me didn't happen until around 8 weeks. So cute I could throw up

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
Old 02-16-2009, 02:17 AM

sleep smiles from day 1... no kidding, in the hospital and all. Intentionally awake smiles directly due to something pleasing from around 2 weeks. Huge smiles by 5 weeks I'd say. Giggles started at around 7 or 8 weeks. I love the giggles!

ds is doing all of this earlier than I remember dd doing it. Dd was pretty much on target with the baby literature but ds seems to be jumping ahead of that. Along with weight gain and sleeping through the night (5-8 hour stretches at night since one month!). I'm not complaining!!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:47 AM

He's been doing the smile in sleep, but when he started smiling directly at us<being fully aware that it WAS us> was about 3 weeks ago(that would make him 6 weeks old.) He follows me across the room, even when I'm not talking...he knows it's me. I'm the only one he does it to, I guess bc we are together 24/7...he knows my every move by now. When he wakes up in the morning, I am the first to see him and he grins so big and gets so excited he tenses up his body and giggles so hard it takes his breath away. I have a hard time NOT squeezing him flat I love him so much. :
Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM

He smiled at us between 4-5 weeks. Now he is a smiling fool. And cooing! Oh how I adore the cooing. He twists his little body around to see what big brother is doing at all times, and just grins and coos away at him. But his most favorite thing to smile and talk to is the ceiling fan. What is with babies and ceiling fans?? We were in a restaurant yesterday with tons of them going and he was in baby heaven.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 PM

I think around 6 weeks is the average..J. did it at three weeks, Dory has been later with this and was 5 weeks or so, but is still not a frequent smiler. However I believe there is no concern at all if they don't do it before three months or so, some kids just aren't smiley early. If they aren't smiling do they track you with their eyes and seem to react to your presence? If so I would think everything is just fine.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:13 PM

6 weeks is the average but my kiddos have had their first social smile anywhere from 4-13 weeks.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM

About 6 weeks - I think Annika was somewhere around there, but it was so gradual I'm not sure exactly. Somehow she went from staring at us with a serious look all the time to grinning and cooing, but I'm not sure when! She's most smiley in the morning, too.
The cooing is so sweet I swear she deliberately repeats the word "hallo" (along with saying "go", "humboo", "ungie" and that sort of thing. ).
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM

Zoe is 6 weeks old now, and I think she's been 'really' smiling for a few days now. Tonight, she's entertaining herself in the papasan bouncer (my one & only piece of baby equipment) - entertaining herself by kicking off the blanket - and smiling. I don't remember this age with my older girls. It's sweet

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 AM

Logan was smiling at me and cooing at 2 weeks old.. I swear.. I never seen nothing like it in my life.. He's now 8 weeks and does it ALL the time.. He even talks to the mobile on his swing. lol

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 AM

Leboyer in his Birth Without Violence book, shows newborns smiling....I say at birth in some cases.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofugirl27 View Post
Leboyer in his Birth Without Violence book, shows newborns smiling....I say at birth in some cases.
I really believe that too.. Because with this baby, it's amazing how alert and how he's smiling and cooing early.. We even got him to laugh a little yesterday!! All at 8 weeks old?

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM

I don't remember when mine started smiling at me, but it's been a couple weeks. He also giggles a little bit at times. He is about 3 1/2 months old now.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
I don't remember when mine started smiling at me, but it's been a couple weeks. He also giggles a little bit at times. He is about 3 1/2 months old now.
I'm waiting for the giggles/laughing. Sometimes he sort of starts, but not a full giggle left.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
But his most favorite thing to smile and talk to is the ceiling fan. What is with babies and ceiling fans?? We were in a restaurant yesterday with tons of them going and he was in baby heaven.
Hahahaha! So cute! My sixth baby is 18 months old now and this is the first time I've ever had a ceiling fan so I dunno if the other kids might've done the same if we'd had one but this little guy is crazy about ceiling fans too. In fact, his first word was fan (well, as he said it, "fa!"). And when we go into stores where there are ceiling fans, especially the local building supply store where they have tons of them hanging up on display, oh boy, baby heaven indeed!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:08 AM

nevermind.. lol

~*Candice*~

User Tag List