Thoughts/prayers for our "Little Man" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm more scared for one of my children than I ever have been before! I'm hoping by posting this, my children won't notice it so much...

We had to take Jonathan to the doctor today. Last night, he was very fussy while I changed his messy diaper. I wiped him & he screamed! I've never heard him cry like this . I instantly knew something hurt, and checked his bum. I thought, maybe a rash, he is still battling thrush in his mouth. He had this big, purple/dark red colored...bump for lack if a better term. It isn't a fissure, nothing open, etc. I called our pediatrician who was as worried as I was. I was late to our appt today & she was about to call me to see where I was.

After we both looked at it more closely, we realized it is on his perineum. It is still dark red, like a blood blister, about 1 in long and very thin.The dr asked if he sits alot, maybe the skin got pinched, but he's rarely in a sitting position (usually resting upright on my shoulder or eating ), much less enough to cause pinching like that - especially without him crying out in pain!)

He isn't overly fussy (just diaper changing). He's all healthy otherwise. Happy, playful. A little sleepier than normal, but I chalked that up to the 6wk growth spurt.

So if the size or color doesn't change, they are going to do a biopsy for "an abnormal growth". As odd as it is, it could be cancerous (possible, though rare .

If anyone can offer some ideas, I'm more than open to listening! I've dealt with neurological problems, developmental problems, rsv...but nothing like this w/my children. Just the mere thought of the word cancer in the same sentence as my child...I really have no idea what this could be.

Thank you listening, and for keeping us in your thoughts.
#2 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Poor little one. I'm praying for some calm for you and healing for him.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#3 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 PM

Hugs! Poor little guy! It sounds like they are trying to rule out the worst-case scenario. I hope he will be felling better soon.
#4 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM

I am praying for you all..... Doug Kaufman, KNow the cause, attributes cancers origin to fungus. Since you know he has thrush, chances are that growth is fungal. I would use coconut oil and lavender oil together topically every hour. Just a little dab with some on a qtip. I would definitely feed him lots of baby acidophilus(probiotics) on an empty stomach 3 times a day. Ask your doctor if he can rule out fungus before he determines cancer. Know the cause is on the web, probiotics are too.....
#5 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM

and prayers coming your way! not from your DDC, but couldn't not post after reading!
#6 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Thinking of you and praying for your little one! Could it just be some kind of hemangioma?

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#7 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 PM

. It's so hard when they are sick, especially when they hurt. I hope it turns out to be absolutely nothing, just a fluke occurance.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#8 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 AM

#9 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reponses!! It really means a lot...I've never been so nervous in my life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
Thinking of you and praying for your little one! Could it just be some kind of hemangioma?
From what I've seen about hemangiomas ( I have one myself as does my cousin - she has a "strawberry" ), it doesn't look like one. .

It really looks like a blood blister, it's odd. It really threw our pediatrician off, too. She's a great doctor and wouldn't bring up anything scary without cause to. I've spent hours today scouring the internet, but have yet to find anything like it. :

Added note: I have found some pictures of abscesses that look similar...I hope it is something like that
#10 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Lots of hugs and good thoughts headed your way!
#11 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM

good thoughts for Jonathan
#12 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM

to your whole family. PLease keep us updated so we can continue to provide support and cheers.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#13 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Thrush affects the bottom area too when there is thrush in the mouth! Perhaps it was something that got infected after he got too yeasty down there??? You'll be in my thoughts!!

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#14 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM

I hope all is well. Keep us posted mama. You and your babe are in my thoughts. :
#15 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
Thrush affects the bottom area too when there is thrush in the mouth! Perhaps it was something that got infected after he got too yeasty down there??? You'll be in my thoughts!!
Thank you! He hasn't had a rash or anything, and this isn't that type of blister. I'm going to be posting a pic online later for a friend. She knows a dr at Children's Hospital Boston who is willing to look at it, but I've had other people ask to see it, too. Just have to wait for him to wake up to take the pic now . I will post the link later.

LINK TO PICS:
Pics - there's a couple of pics I just took, if interested. The rash started this afternoon. He slept about 4 hrs and woke up with a very yucky diaper, hence the rash. It wasn't there when I changed him before he fell asleep -
#16 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 PM

:
#17 of 33 Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Jonathan was seen by 2 doctors today. Our pediatrician has referred him to Dartmouth, the children's hospital in NH. She likes them and trusts them, so I will go check them out. If I don't like them, I'm off to Boston.

It turns out that there isn't even a general surgeon, nevermind a pediatric around us that would take him because he's so little (?? I hate the hospitals, etc around us why???

He is scheduled for an ultrasound to see if maybe there's a cyst underneath this growth... Then off to see a pedi-surgeon to go from there. I'm glad we've found etc...but I was so hoping that since he wasn't born in a hospital, we were breakin the cycle of infant hospital visits. All 3 DDs has issues after birth and the only thing connecting them was a hospital birth.

The hard part is waiting . And wondering. And thinking when I don't want to anymore. He's getting fussier and fussier lately. His bum is sore and he just screams after. He's never been fussy.

We also found DH has a hernia today that he needs surgery to repair it. DD1 has a kidney infection. DD3 is fit as a fiddle though.(DD2 isn't due for her appt yet, lol) We do as many visits at once as the office will allow, lol. We have also decided not to continue the vac's for now at least. DD3 was due for 4 and I just didn't need to deal w/a reaction. She always get sore & cranky after them. I stood my ground and they agreed without too much arguing.

The plus note is Jonathan woke up with DD1 today and was just smiling away at her! He loves his sisters. He gets all excited when he sees them.
#18 of 33 Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 AM

I'm so sorry mama! It sucks to have everyone having health issues all at once. I hope you are doing ok and things start getting better for you and your family. :

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#19 of 33 Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM

We're currently working on something similar with our older DD. Waiting sucks!

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#20 of 33 Old 02-22-2009, 05:10 PM

I know I'm kind of late, but I couldn't read without posting. I hope you can figure out what it is, and that it's nothing serious.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#21 of 33 Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
Oh, gosh, hope all is well. Let us know!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#22 of 33 Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
I'm sorry you have to feel like this! Lots of love & prayers for your DD!!

Keep us posted!
#23 of 33 Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Jonathan is scheduled for an ultrasound (FINALLY!) on Friday...still waiting on the pediatric surgeon from the bigger hospital. They're taking their sweet time about things!

DSAucone - how is your DD? Any updates? Still thinking of you!
#24 of 33 Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKJNH View Post
Jonathan is scheduled for an ultrasound (FINALLY!) on Friday...still waiting on the pediatric surgeon from the bigger hospital. They're taking their sweet time about things!

DSAucone - how is your DD? Any updates? Still thinking of you!
I'm still waiting for test results from the end of JANUARY! I was told no news is good news, that they'd mail out the results, and that after a week they still weren't faxed to DD's doctor's office when I was told during the test they'd be available that afternoon. : I have tomorrow off so I'm calling the office then. She has a bump on her perineum as well, but it comes and goes, so the doctor was never able to look at it during our visit.

#25 of 33 Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

there was nothing to see, so we're off to a pediatric surgeon, next week hopefully.

dsaucone, did you get anywhere with your doctor's office? Our referral is still "pending" (Pending what, I don't know )
#26 of 33 Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:

dsaucone, did you get anywhere with your doctor's office? Our referral is still "pending" (Pending what, I don't know )
Don't you just love referrals?

We're good for now. I had to call around and find out that test results that were suppose to be automatically faxed a month ago hadn't been. Then was told the Dr. office had to call and ask for them. But they were negative. Still doesn't explain some things though. Oh well, we have a nurses visit coming up.

#27 of 33 Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

We have finally gotten our date with the surgeon - Friday, sometime. And they moved it closer to us as the surgeon will be at a smaller hospital (run by the larger hospital).

Hopefully it'll be good news there, too.
#28 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 AM

Awesome! : I hope everything goes well at the visit!

#29 of 33 Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

The pediatric surgeon says the "growth" is actually a blood pocket , but the area around it is bruised because it's an area that is used a lot.

The underlying cause: "anal stenosis." The membrane between the anal canal and the intestine as well as the canal itself is too narrow. The dr stretched all of the above (HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! It was so painful for him!) with his pinky finger and said he may have to do it one more time. If that doesn't work, we will be sent home with "dilators" and have to do it daily ourselves for 1 mo. If THAT doesn't work, surgery will be discussed, but the surgeon doubts that will be necessary. He did say the pocket should heal itself, but if not we will go back and check it again. :

O yeah and we have to keep breastfeeding; formula can make it worse! (HAHAHAHA! To everyone who keeps saying he needs it because he's not "full it seems" ). I'd say we're doing ok as at 2mos 2 day Jonathan weighed in at 12# 12oz. He's got a cold, though, so he may drop a bit since he's not eating as well right now.
I'm so relieved. :
to everyone for your kind words and support as I panicked () throughout this whole ordeal
#30 of 33 Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

O yeah and we have to keep breastfeeding; formula can make it worse! (HAHAHAHA! To everyone who keeps saying he needs it because he's not "full it seems" ). I'd say we're doing ok as at 2mos 2 day Jonathan weighed in at 12# 12oz. He's got a cold, though, so he may drop a bit since he's not eating as well right now.
I'm so relieved. :
to everyone for your kind words and support as I panicked () throughout this whole ordeal
So happy for you that it wound up being nothing serious! And, it's absolutely normal to worry like you did!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page