What are your nights like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering, how have your nights been going? How many times does your little one nurse/eat, poo, wake up, etc.?

At 8 weeks (and co-sleeping), we get a good 3-4 hr stretch of sleep at the beginning of the night, then nurse, then a 2 hour stretch, then nurse, then a 1.5-1 hr stretch, then nurse, then on and off fussy sleeping probably because he has to poo. I wish I could help him sleep soundly for the rest of the night - he seems uncomfortable!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 AM

We're almost 10 weeks and our nights go like this: Sleep for 4 hours from 8:30 to 12:30, nurse & poop, back to sleep immediately - sleep for 3 to 4 hours from 1 to 4:00 or 5:00, nurse & poop, back to sleep immediately. After that she will generally wake every hour and a half or so unless I put her on my chest to sleep, then I can sometimes get another 2 or 3 hours. We usually get up around 7:30 or 8:00. She seems to have settled on doing her two big poops at night... then throughout the day there are lots of "wet" farts

We also co-sleep - although sometimes she spends the first 2 sessions in her moses basket next to me.

I'm still swaddling her for sleep, although she fights it a bit now. When she first starting putting up a struggle a week ago i tried a night without swaddling - YIKES - she woke up almost every hour.

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
#3 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 02:18 AM

She sleeps next to me and nurses every 3-4 hours usually. I try to put her to bed alone sometime before 8, then she wakes around 11, 2 and 5 and then gets up around 8. She usually nurses and then falls right back to sleep. But if she poops and wakes herself up all the way it takes a little longer to get her back to sleep. Also sometimes she wants to suckle most of the night between feedings, but luckily that's not all the time. I'm so grateful it's this easy! I wish I'd co-slept last time.

And ChesapeakeBorn, your "Me" photo is so beautiful!

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#4 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Before you hate me, know that my first two didn't sleep through until 15.5. months and 17 months.

She's 7 weeks old has been settling in for the night at about 10:30-11:00 p.m. and might wake up once between then and 6:00 a.m. She's slept straight through 4 times in the last week. It kind of depends on how much she nurses during the day, and if she has a big spit up near bed time. She's also stopped pooping at night, so no diaper changes.

That being said, every night that she's slept through, one or both of her older siblings has been up, and last night when they didn't wake up, she did. But... I'm not about to start complaining. At least not too loudly.
#5 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistenicole View Post
And ChesapeakeBorn, your "Me" photo is so beautiful!
Awww, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmagoo View Post
...She's also stopped pooping at night, so no diaper changes....
I'm glad you are getting some good rest!

I think it is the pooping that really keeps him from sleeping soundly towards the morning - it is like he isn't awake enough to do it. He is genuinely tired and is good about going right back to sleep after nursing. He poops during the day too, but after nursing several times at night, he is ready to go again by 4 am or so. He'll go a little then and then has a few big blow-outs when he gets up at 8 or 9am.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#6 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM

We go to bed around 8pm or so (all of us!) and I nurse baby side-lying. After he's asleep (and I have usually fallen asleep too) I scoot over so I can have some room to move and not wake him. He sleeps for several hours before I nurse again. Usually I nurse 1-2 times a night, but there have been a couple of nights that he's slept straight through to 4 or 5am. : Knock on wood because DS1 was a decent sleeper in the beginning too, but that didn't last.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#7 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM

We co-sleep, I nurse side lying, and I think he nurses about every thirty minutes? :-)...really, he nurses a TON at night. But he started out big (9.2) and is already over 15 lbs so I assume he needs it. He sleeps soundly in between though. Except when I wake up and freak out that he's not breathing and grab him (of course he IS breathing and that wakes him up...) I think I have some post-traumatic stress associated with his birth...
#8 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM

This time around, nights have been pretty easy. At 7 weeks, and for awhile now, he's slept pretty soundly from 10 or 11 to 6 or 7. He might nurse once or twice during that time - we co-sleep, so I barely notice now.
#9 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by League_mama View Post
We co-sleep, I nurse side lying, and I think he nurses about every thirty minutes? :-)...really, he nurses a TON at night. But he started out big (9.2) and is already over 15 lbs so I assume he needs it. He sleeps soundly in between though. Except when I wake up and freak out that he's not breathing and grab him (of course he IS breathing and that wakes him up...) I think I have some post-traumatic stress associated with his birth...
Well, there goes my theory that big babies sleep better! (I was thinking that if they are chubbier they might not need to eat as much at night, but really I just made that up to make myself feel better ) Anyways, I'm sorry to hear about the anxiety. I do the same thing. (The PTS stems from our losses.) We got an Angel Care monitor, and that helps to ease my fear a bit, but it only works if he is sleeping in his cosleeper and most of the time at night he is in my arms or right next to me! I've noticed the cutest thing though. When he is with me in bed, he always turns his face so he is nose to nose with me. I've heard that baby's respiration responds to mom's breathing so it must be his instinct to do that. I just love it.

#10 of 18 Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 AM

Sometimes it's hard to get her to sleep in the first place (she's cranky in the evenings, and usually awake until 10 or 11), but once she's out, she's out for the rest of the night. She'll usually wake up at 6 or so. Once in a while she wants to nurse sometime during the night, but usually not (seriously. For some reason, all of my girls- all big babies, too - slept through the night early). She doesn't poop at night, either.
We have a bassinet by the bed, and she sleeps there some nights (when we want the bed to ourselves, more or less ) and in our bed the rest of the time. She really doesn't seem to care which, but I miss her when she's in the bassinet!
#11 of 18 Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM

pretty easy...i don't remember much on most nights and i have no idea how much she eats (other than if i'm engorged in the morning). she sleeps really well next to me.
#12 of 18 Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM

I wonder if I'm actually waking her up to nurse because I expect her to. I'd actually be a little freaked if she slept through the night. I've always said I have PTSD from DS (very fussy/sick kid) - it's funny to hear you all say that. Glad it's not just me.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#13 of 18 Old 02-21-2009, 07:33 PM

We're at 9 1/2 weeks now. I usually lay down around 9 with DS in our bed. We nurse to sleep. Which is by 10 at the latest. I usually remember briefly waking to latch him on once during the night. My alarm goes off at 5am. If he's awake I'll nurse him and then get up.

We don't change the diaper at night. I change it right before we lay down and if he's awake in the morning I'll change it. If not DH will change it when they get out of bed.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#14 of 18 Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
Just wondering, how have your nights been going? How many times does your little one nurse/eat, poo, wake up, etc.?

At 8 weeks (and co-sleeping), we get a good 3-4 hr stretch of sleep at the beginning of the night, then nurse, then a 2 hour stretch, then nurse, then a 1.5-1 hr stretch, then nurse, then on and off fussy sleeping probably because he has to poo. I wish I could help him sleep soundly for the rest of the night - he seems uncomfortable!
Rylie seems to be similar to your little guy. She nurses and sleeps for a good 3 to 4 hr stretch and then wakes more often to nurse in the morning as we get closer to waking up. I was swaddling her but haven't been much lately ... I do think that helped her to sleep more soundly though.
#15 of 18 Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 PM

M has a definite night and morning. He's super awake for a short period at midnight, crashes fast and sleeps until about 6 am when we have a diaper change and nurse, and then he's down again until 10am when he demands that I wake up and smile back at him for a good 15 minutes.
MY sleep is off, I can't fall asleep until 4am so I am not ready to be up at 10. But he insists, so I just hope I can regulate me soon. In the meantime, I feel like I'm all sleep dep dealing with a newborn again, I'm getting no sleep and my breasts hurt because I'm stopping pumping (he's been exclusively on the boob since 1 month, not sure why I've been pumping but paranoia), and now my thrush suspicions were confirmed when he popped up with a great rash, so the world is purple!
#16 of 18 Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM

we are just over 10 weeks and she has been sleeping 4-5 hour strechs since about 3 weeks. She nurses once at night, sometimes twice if her sister crawls into bed and wakes her up. She is a big girl too, we are just under 13lbs and she was 8.7 when she was born. My bigger babies tedn to sleep better than my first two smaller babies.
#17 of 18 Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 PM

Odin sleeps about 6-7 hours for his first stretch of sleep, and then wakes up and nurses, and then sleeps for another two or three hours before waking up for the day. He sleeps with us and we still swaddle him. He's a really good sleeper, but he's actually not the best sleeper I've had. Lydia at this age would sleep 11 hours without a peep, in her Amby hammock in our room. It was the most amazing thing ever!
#18 of 18 Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 PM

Ohhhh I wanted an Amby with the last one and this one. However we have had no colic, no reflux, no health issues at all with our new little one. We co sleep too and i think that helps at least for us with her sleeping. She does better when she can feel someone near. However when the other 3 kids and the dog get into bed there is no sleep for anyone......

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page