Update on my baby Jerod(bd-12-23-08) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I haven't been on much as if you read below you'll get an idea of what's been happening lately so here's my little update.

Jerod is eight weeks and two days old. Two weeks ago I had to put him in his 3-6 month clothes, he's getting so big. He's already doing responsive smiling. He can hold up his head really well. He only loves momma. My sister helps us out and if I have to do something and she holds him, he will cry the whole time. Other then that he only cries when he's hungry, wet...

....or between 10pm-12am. Yup only those times. And we figured out why...dairy intolerance. Just alot worse then DC3. His started when he was two days old. I had to use the gripe water. He wasn't sleeping well. It's now getting better every now and then. He would be up in the middle of the night for hours. Not normal for a newborn. He would stay up between 10-5 am, finally going to sleep. It has slowly gotten better. But another thing that happened 3-4 weeks ago was he got a nasty red itchy rash on his scalp, face, neck, and chest. The doc that I took him to last week said there was no way he was reacting to my breastmilk, that he has something-can't remember what it was-and to put hydrocortisone ointment on it. I just ignored her because I went thru this with DC3 except for the rash, I researched it and eliminated other things that it could be.

So two weeks ago I went on the total elimination diet but added in a few more things so that I wouldn't starve or lose my milk supply. Added some low allergin meats like lamb and buffalo that I've never tried. Then went back to less to make sure he wasn't reacting to anything. I now have two foods in each food group to be able to eat and mix around. My milk supply was starting to go down, but luckly I just drink some water and my supply goes up enough that I get engorged.

Now he's sleeping better and the rash is almost gone. I think that I should just avoid dairy from now on. It doesn't help me or our kids. But it's getting harder to make food and more expensive.

Anyway the kids just love him. DC3 loves to give him his pacifier. DC2 always calls him "my brother" and comes up to pet his head mostly when he's eating. Which when Jerod is eating, DC3 likes to say "Mother, Jerod's eating you!" lol. DC1 likes to hold him and talks about him to everyone. He fits in really well and everyone just loves him.

I'm doing good, just tired. It will get better once the dairy get out of his system and he starts sleeping better. Last night was the first time in a while that he didn't start screaming between 10pm-12am and he actually sleep a lot better. YAH!!!
Anyway gotta go get ready for his 2 month WBV. I'll come back and update on that later.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#2 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Jewellz, I hope your LO gets better soon. Lucia is allergic to dairy also, it showed up really quickly. I eliminated all dairy (including the little bits in ingredient lists) and she got better within a few days - I hope you have the same luck. As for food... yeah it certainly eliminates your choices. Some of my dairy-free favorites of the moment are:
whole wheat organic bread from costco
cinnamon raisin bagels from whole foods
coconut sorbet
dark chocolate
rice drink (from trader joes) or rice milk
van's frozen waffles

I've been experimenting with recipes to try to get a wider variety of foods. So far swapping canola oil or apple sauce for butter and rice milk for milk has worked pretty well.

Take care!

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#3 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM

i, too, have eliminated dairy -- just like i did with my other babies -- and i now have a cooing, delightful baby who sleeps 8-hour stretches! (breastfeeding & co-sleeping)

i saw that you also don't do gluten, jewellz: we also have a low-gluten diet. yes, it is hard sometimes, but i'm pretty used to finding creative ways to eat by now... and the bonus, at least for me, is that my pregnancy weight has just vanished!
#4 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistenicole View Post
Jewellz, I hope your LO gets better soon. Lucia is allergic to dairy also, it showed up really quickly. I eliminated all dairy (including the little bits in ingredient lists) and she got better within a few days - I hope you have the same luck. As for food... yeah it certainly eliminates your choices. Some of my dairy-free favorites of the moment are:
coconut sorbet
dark chocolate
van's frozen waffles

I've been experimenting with recipes to try to get a wider variety of foods. So far swapping canola oil or apple sauce for butter and rice milk for milk has worked pretty well.

Take care!
He is getting better-no screaming last night and he slept really well which ment I got sleep. I had enough energy today to take the kids to the library, park and do a load of dishes. First time in a couple of months. Wahoo!

I can't have the bread or bagels because we're a gluten-free household. But the coconut sorbet, that sounds good. Where did you get it or how did you make it? Know any dark chocolate that's gluten and dairy free? I'll be back to drinking Pacific Foods rice milk as the Rice dream has gluten as long as rice doesnt fail in the trial that I'm going to start as soon as we get a baseline-no symptoms. And the frozen waffles that we have I'll have to check to see if it is dairy free.

When you all go dairy free does that include goat's milk? With DC3 I was able to have goat's milk products-which were expensive but soooo good. This time I'm going to try it in the trials and if it passes then I'm going to learn how to make my own goat milk products-cheaper then storebought. But I'm going to have to go thru all my recipes and find new ones to try. Most if not 95% of them had dairy in it. I loved dairy. It just doesn't agree with me. But from now on no cow dairy, I think, for the rest of my life.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#5 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chic2chic View Post
i, too, have eliminated dairy -- just like i did with my other babies -- and i now have a cooing, delightful baby who sleeps 8-hour stretches! (breastfeeding & co-sleeping)

i saw that you also don't do gluten, jewellz: we also have a low-gluten diet. yes, it is hard sometimes, but i'm pretty used to finding creative ways to eat by now... and the bonus, at least for me, is that my pregnancy weight has just vanished!
We're breastfeeding and co-sleeping too but he still wakes up sooner then seven hours. The longest I've gotten him to sleep at night was 4 hours. Soon though. I can't wait. I'll have more energy for the things that I want to do-like organize my house.

Yes, you do have to get creative on the gf diet and now I'll have to get even more creative. Yes usually by my six week postpartem appt I have lost the pregnancy weight, not this time yet though. I do lose it faster when I'm on a gf/cf diet. I need to lose at least another 15 to get to pre-pregnancy weight but I'm actually going for 20-40 lbs, slowly as it may be.

This will be an interesting journey.

#6 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Jewellz --

Welcome back! I'm doing the dairy-free thing too. Sometimes it's highly inconvenient! Glad your babe is doing better.

I have an unrelated question, though. I see in your signature that you're "quiverful." Does that mean essentially "open to as many children as God will send us" (or not using b/c, in still other words)? Maybe this is a reference to the verse about children being a mother's arrows? Just curious!
#7 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok went to his drs appt today and he now weights 10 lbs 8 oz and is 22 1/2 inches long. Keeping steady on the growth chart. Doc understood the dairy allergy thing and said he looked great all around. He didn't like laying on his stomach but was giggling when she was feeling his stomach. All in all I was in and out in 10 mins. Pretty good visit.

#8 of 18 Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post
Jewellz --

Welcome back! I'm doing the dairy-free thing too. Sometimes it's highly inconvenient! Glad your babe is doing better.

I have an unrelated question, though. I see in your signature that you're "quiverful." Does that mean essentially "open to as many children as God will send us" (or not using b/c, in still other words)? Maybe this is a reference to the verse about children being a mother's arrows? Just curious!
Thanks. I'm glad he's getting better too, hopefully he stays that way.
Yes, it's based on Psalms 127:3-5. I love kids and trust God and don't do well on chemical birth control and other birth control methods so it all goes together for me. One less thing to worry about. Breastfeeding helps with spacing for me, I get pregnant as soon as baby wants more table food. I'm super fertile and don't mind the pregnancy and babies.
If you have anymore questions just ask, I don't mind answering them.

#9 of 18 Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellz View Post
When you all go dairy free does that include goat's milk? With DC3 I was able to have goat's milk products-which were expensive but soooo good. This time I'm going to try it in the trials and if it passes then I'm going to learn how to make my own goat milk products-cheaper then storebought. But I'm going to have to go thru all my recipes and find new ones to try. Most if not 95% of them had dairy in it. I loved dairy. It just doesn't agree with me. But from now on no cow dairy, I think, for the rest of my life.
initially, i excluded all dairy, but after a few months (with each baby) found that i could have the occasional goat's-milk cheese or sheep's-milk yogurt without any trouble. apparently, the size of the protein in cow's milk (casein, i guess) is different from sheep or goat, and is far more difficult to digest. (cow's milk protein also passes into breastmilk more easily)

when i first did this with dd1, i thought it was so tough, but then i discovered how much better i have felt since going off dairy, that it was all worth it.
#10 of 18 Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I can't have the bread or bagels because we're a gluten-free household. But the coconut sorbet, that sounds good. Where did you get it or how did you make it? Know any dark chocolate that's gluten and dairy free? I'll be back to drinking Pacific Foods rice milk as the Rice dream has gluten as long as rice doesnt fail in the trial that I'm going to start as soon as we get a baseline-no symptoms. And the frozen waffles that we have I'll have to check to see if it is dairy free.

I think you can buy coconut sorbet in any natural foods store. There's plain coconut flavor, plus a bunch of others. Yum. I haven't tried to make it, but I'm sure you can.

Unfortunately I don't know about the dark chocolate because I don't know a lot about gluten ingredients.

And as for goat's milk, I've read several times that it should be fine although I haven't tried it yet. When I was little we drank goat's milk because I had a serous dairy allergy back then. But now I can't stand the taste. I should try some goat cheese though - I'm craving cheese so badly I bet I'd like anything!

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#11 of 18 Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
coconut sorbet
dark chocolate
van's frozen waffles

Take care!
Where did you find dark chocolate w/o dairy in it? I haven't been able to...

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#12 of 18 Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM

My experience with goat's milk is that it's no better than cow milk. It's not terribly surprising, though, because it has the same protein in it -- casein. It's the protein they react to. It's a shame, though! If I could eat goat cheese, that would be a happy thing. I haven't tried sheep cheese, although it's probably got casein too. I'm really tempted to try it anyway. I miss cheese, and sheep cheese is so tasty.
#13 of 18 Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 AM

I am sorry that you are having to eliminate "one more thing". I truely know how frustrating that is. I have never had a child be allergic to something in my milk but as soon as they start solids we have to deal w/ allergies. I think htat is bcs my milk is allergin friendly as I am allergic to dairy, soy, peanuts, red meat, corn syrup.
We are not gluten free so I am not sure but hte chocolate that I eat (and I eat a lot of it) is the 365 brand (whole foods). They have all different flavors. it doesn't specify gluten free but there isn't anyting in the ingredients so I don't know if that is good or not.
Also there are semi-sweet chocolate chips by Enjoy life foods (and they are yummy).
A fun special occasion snack that comes in individual packs are mini outback animals chocolate cookies by Orgran. They are free of everything basically but tase very good.

When you are eliminating dairy make sure that you don't go overboard on soy as it is a high allergin as well and if your child is already prone to allergies that could cause a problem. PM if you want any ideas.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#14 of 18 Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

I dont touch soy either. I've read bad things about it and because I'm hypothyriod, it's not good for me.

I think he reacted to apples. I bought some sparkling apple cider at Whole Foods later that night and the next day he reacted, during the day which he's never done and haven't had anymore or reacted anymore so tomorrow I'm going to eat an apple for breakfast to see if he will react.

I also think that he will react to tomatoes. But wont try that for a while.

Eventually I'll have to see if the chocolate is ok. I do have some gluten free chocolate chips that I will have to check for milk. They are not by Enjoy Life, though.

I tried some goat cheese last time and it was pretty good. I loved the goat milk yogurt and butter and used them alot.

I'm going to have to find the coconut sorbet, that just sounds so good. Everything just sounds so tempting right now. It's getting hard to wait for trials. His face is all cleared and he didn't react last night but still has a little bit of the stuffy/runny nose.

What would be one trial thing you would try after the TED?

#15 of 18 Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 AM

the enjoy life are the only chocolate chips i know of that are gluten, dairy, and soy free. They have a lot of great products actually.
Good luck w/ all of this. I know it is hard but it is empowering knowing what is causing your little one so much discomfort and being able to do something about it.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#16 of 18 Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post
Where did you find dark chocolate w/o dairy in it? I haven't been able to...
Pretty much every dark chocolate is dairy free (cocoa butter is not dairy). I like the xoxo brand, and trader joes has a dark chocolate bar w/almonds that I love! I'm so glad DD doesn't react to chocolate...

#17 of 18 Old 02-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I dont touch soy either. I've read bad things about it and because I'm hypothyriod, it's not good for me.

I think he reacted to apples. I bought some sparkling apple cider at Whole Foods later that night and the next day he reacted, during the day which he's never done and haven't had anymore or reacted anymore so tomorrow I'm going to eat an apple for breakfast to see if he will react.

I also think that he will react to tomatoes. But wont try that for a while.
Poor baby, and poor you. He sounds really sensitive. The only other thing DD reacted to was edemame. Stupid of me to even try it.

#18 of 18 Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Pretty much every dark chocolate is dairy free (cocoa butter is not dairy). I like the xoxo brand, and trader joes has a dark chocolate bar w/almonds that I love! I'm so glad DD doesn't react to chocolate...
All the dark chocolate I've come across says it has milk fat in the ingredients. (Granted, I have *very* limited access to places such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. There is a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods in the area, but it's too far to go regularly. The last time we went, the children were asleep, so I stayed in the van while my mom went to get whatever it was she needed. I'll have to check it out, though!)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page