Mama trauma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On Friday we went to get paperwork done with the woman who was going to be our daycare provider. After the first ten minutes I was bawling. I played it off as normal mommy anxiety but I knew something deeper was going on. I cried most of the day on Friday.

I think I figured out that I was so upset b/c my gut was screaming that this was the wrong place for Evangeline. The infant that was there was lying in a pack and a play and was fussing. When I went over to say hi to him, the daycare provider told me that she hoped we didn't "spoil" our baby like this guy. She said that every time he cries his mom picks him up so he's "spoiled."

Ummm...not so much! And this floored me b/c all of my prior conversations with her have been so reassuring (she's totally supportive of cloth diapering, homemade baby foods, and breastfeeding). Now that I AM a mom, though, I knew what to look for, I think.

ANYWAY, I contacted an old friend of mine who lives in Bmore and has a son. She used to watch another little boy but that ended. I asked her if she was interested and SHE IS. I'm so happy. I love my friend dearly and know what a great parent she is. I feel so much better about all of this.

This has made me high as a kite. I feel so good about this. I"ve been looking furiously for other options and this was my first choice.

I do feel super torn b/c DH and I could eek by on his salary. BUT we are saving up for a big move to the beach where Evangeline's life will be so amazing. AND I love my job. I've worked super hard to get where I am and it fills me with such happiness to be in this place with my dream job. I am going to give it six months and decide after that if it's still what I want.

Man, having a baby is really hard on the heart.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 AM

Man, I'm right there with you. I go back to work tomorrow after a 12 week leave. I work from home so I can keep DD with me, but it will be stressful I'm sure. I'm going round and round thinking I want to work, want to work part time, want to quit... We'll see how I feel at the end of the week I guess.

I'm so glad you found some child care you feel good about! :

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#3 of 7 Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 AM

I'm so glad it worked out. I can't imagine hearing that from a daycare provider, what a scary thought. At least you found out before she went in!

#4 of 7 Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 AM

Good for you for trusting your instincts! I didn't trust mine and my older DS ended up in a daycare situation that was just awful. Luckily we were able to find a better situation, and the second daycare ended up being wonderful. I still have regrets to this day about not listening to what my gut was telling me.

Good luck with going back to work. I won't lie, it is hard at first. But you'll get into your routine and things will adjust. It gets better each day. Lots of hugs to you!
#5 of 7 Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, ladies. I'm so glad to have such good support :

Nicole, I hope today is going of for you.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#6 of 7 Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Good luck Dell, and congratulations on finding a good care provider. I'm terrified about what we will do when we move back to the US!

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
#7 of 7 Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Dell, you're a smart and loving mother! I'm glad that you recognized what was really bothering you and have found a better place for your daughter!

You're right, being a parent is killer on the heart. If nothing else, just from the sheer overdose of love. I feel like my heart could just burst sometimes. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page