What is everybody up to? - Bring back the chatting!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought it would be nice to check in with everyone and see how life is going with the new additions!!

Hazel and I had a blissful day today. I have friends visiting and we spent the morning taking a long stroll though a nearby park. I usually babywear but it is getting excruciatingly hot around these parts, so they helped me take the stroller out for the first time. (I needed help because this city isn't really stroller friendly - lots of stairs, etc). Hazel really seemed to like having a bit of space from mama's sweaty body. She did get a little overheated by the end there though so we ducked into an air-conditioned restaurant for a little lunch (for her and me). Then when we got back we had our first dip in the pool and she LOVED IT!! She was kicking and splashing like crazy. And it felt soooo good after that hot sweaty morning. I think we will be spending a lot more time in that pool!

We've had a lot of visitors in the months since Hazel arrived and there are more to come. It is a mixed blessing. I love having all the extra hands around and of course want to be with my loved ones. But sometimes it is hard trying to juggle all my new responsibilities while also being a bit of a tour guide. My guests have all been close friends and family so they really aren't placing any demands on me, but I sometimes try to do too much. A few nights ago I accompanied my guests to a sky bar/restaurant with Hazel... she got really fussy on the skytrain on the way there and I couldn't calm her. I got all flustered (and sweaty) and then I tripped and skinned my knee (Hazel was in the Moby wrap and although she didn't hit the ground she did get a little scared). Once we got there she slept for about 15 minutes and then woke up shrieking (so WEIRD when she does that!!). I spent the next 45 in the lobby trying to soothe her. I was able to feed and change her but couldn't get her to sleep for some reason and that was what she really needed. The whole time I was just feeling so guilty and embarrassed. But, live and learn I guess!!

It is really satisfying getting to figure her out a little better every day and getting into our groove as far as naps and whatnot. She is a champion screamer, but when she isn't screaming she is so easygoing... I can just dump her on the shag rug in the living room and she'll kick and coo like crazy for a good 15 to 20 minutes while I throw in a load of diapers or finish up the dishes. It is also really satisfying to see that she really knows who I am and really trusts me... it just melts my heart the way she looks at me!! I feel so sorry for poor DH who has to go to work and miss out on all the bonding... I hope it won't take too long for her to figure out that daddy is just as wonderful as mommy!!

Okay, that was waaaay more than I intended to write... now YOU go!!

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
#2 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good idea Terra - our ddc is going to close soon, so we better get in these last few updates while we still can!

I think DD has an ear infection (off to the dr this afternoon), which hasn't been fun. Her new skills are drooling and accidentally pulling objects into her mouth. Well, she seems to purposefully get them into her mouth, but the initial grasping is still pretty haphazzard.
She still doesn't sleep inndependantly, and her nearly 12 lbs are getting more cumbersome to haul around while she slumbers on my shoulder. But, we do get 5-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep most nights. It balances out, I guess. My goal for March is to be able to put dd down once she falls asleep. You can imiagine what velcro baby does to the "marital relations"...
We're also struggling with the mama/papa stuff. DD screams in DH's arms, and actually reaches out for me. He's great with her, and has far more patience than I do. He's such a calm presence, but I do think the problem is just a lack of familiarity for the babe. He tries not to take it personally, but he is hurt by it. I feel really bad about it, and really struggle with how to support them.
The weather is useasonably warm, so I've conquered my fear that dd will lose limbs and nose to frostbite if we go out. My coat doesn't fit over both of us, but a hot water bottle in the bottom of the chariot stroller seems to keep her above freezing. I feel liberated being able to walk places, and to do multiple errands in one trip without hauling dd in and out of the carseat a thousand times.
All in all though, I feel so incredibly blessed by this child. I'm also totally overwhelmed sometimes, ocasionally frustrated, and completely in awe of people who manage to accomplish things during the day. And a huge thank you to the first woman I ever saw wearing her baby - I don't think I would function at all without my wrap.

Those of you with multiple little ones have my complete respect and admiration!

For greater things are yet to come...

#3 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Hey Terra, I just ordered myself a solarveil sling. It's getting too hot here for the Maya wrap, to say nothing of the Moby! When my older DD was little I borrowed a solarveil from a friend (who had borrowed it from another friend LOL) and it was great...although homemade so didn't seem to support as much weight as a Maya wrap. I ordered myself a Taylormade solarveil sling, so hopefully it will hold up better. They say they aren't making them anymore! But I can't wait to use it while chasing DD1 at the playground, and then when they reopen the pools I can take both girls swimming.

I get lots of attention wearing the baby in the grocery store, too. The comments so far have been overwhelmingly positive...everyone seems curious where I found such a neat idea. (Thanks, mamas!)

DD2 is sleeping in her crib, and through the night! I swear I didn't do anything to make that happen. She's just so easygoing (unlike her sis!) I'm a little scared of what might happen when she starts teething, but we still have a pack-n-play for her to sleep in in the master bedroom if necessary.

Yesterday while nursing DD2, DD1 said, "Mama, I'm glad we have a baby." DD2 has also discovered her thumb, which she slurps happily, just like her (nearly 4 y.o.) sister!

I'm so glad to not be sick anymore. And having happy girls is icing on the cake.

It's getting better...easier.
#4 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Things are going pretty well for us here. DD just got over bronchitis, and DS is almost over it, I think. So it's been kind of a difficult week. DS is gaining well. Sunday night, he was 12 lbs, 4 oz, so he's up 1 lb 9 oz from birth weight. I'm so glad, because I was *so* worried about his eating. When we went to apply for WIC, the lactation consultant talked to us, and she says she thinks he eats a lot during the day and packs on the calories during the day so he can sleep more in the night, that it's not a major issue his eating so often.

I can't believe how he's growing and learning. He's gotten the positioning of his arms and legs right to be crawling, just doesn't have the muscle tone yet. He's been holding his head up on his own really well since about 2.5 weeks, and has started bolting himself up from a reclining position to an upright position, all on his own.

Off topic a little bit, my SIL's in the hospital to have her baby! Her blood pressure is elevated, and she has low fluid levels, so they're inducing her today! : They said it would probably be tomorrow before he's born. We're all kind of holding our breath, though, because he has a hole in his heart, that they don't know how bad it is, so they don't know if he'll need surgery now or if they can wait a few months. I think they said it depends on if he's breathing on his own when he's born or not, I'm not sure...

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#5 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 PM

Let's see...

Lucy continues to be a pretty easy baby to care for. I'm a lucky mama. She gives us great big smiles which makes us smile.

DH is doing well in school. It'll still be a long time before he can even apply for med school but I'm looking forward to getting out of this town. His parents have backed off a lot about the leaving the Mormon church thing. So things are much less stressful for DH.

We're financially stable again and able to take care of more than just the basics which is awesome. And we think we'll be able to visit my family this summer after all and intoduce Lucy! :

I'm spending most of my time blogging and reading. I've started exercising too! DH bought me an iPod with the Nike+ thing and I'm loving it! Right now I'm training with a walk to run program. After I finish that I'm going to try and train to do a 5k. I'm also doing the MS Walk again this year so I'm busy trying to fund raise for it.

Had my immigration medical exam Monday. It went just fine. Hopefully we won't be waiting too long for the process to be completely done!
#6 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post
We're all kind of holding our breath, though, because he has a hole in his heart, that they don't know how bad it is, so they don't know if he'll need surgery now or if they can wait a few months. I think they said it depends on if he's breathing on his own when he's born or not, I'm not sure...
Sending good vibes! Keep us posted!
#7 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Keller is 11 wks old today. We saw our new pediatrician the other day (A MDC mama, how cool is that??) and he is 11.2 lbs, 24.5 inches. He is a long skinny guy which is the opposite of his older brother. He is showing signs of a dairy allergy so I'm off dairy now. Nolan is allergic to dairy, too, so at least I know what I'm doing. K is a happy guy. He naps in the swing. I swaddle the top of him, nurse him to sleep, then put him in there. I haven't even tried putting him anywhere else because it works. If we're out he'll sleep in the sling. He sleeps great at night, usually a 4-5 hour stretch then every 2 hours. It is very true that siblings can be complete opposites.

We are settling in well in NC. I'm ready for nicer weather so we can get back to playing outside and getting out more. The best news of all in our lives is that we accepted an offer on our old house yesterday. We're so happy. The market truly sucks and it is a horrible time to sell. We're ready to get that part over with and start rebuilding.

This weekend we are heading to the beach! DH and Nolan have each been, but it will be the first time for Keller and I. I can't wait to put his little feet in the sand.
#8 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 PM

My SIL had her baby this morning at 3.42 : His name is Zachary. He was breathing on his own, but wasn't getting enough oxygen or something (he was blue when he was born) so they rushed him to the children's hospital. We haven't heard anything more yet.

ETA: My mom just called. They called her and Zachary's not doing well. Apparently, he's stopped breathing on his own, and he's on a ventilator. They got his oxygen up to 70% from the 30% it was at, but the ventilator collapsed one of his lungs. They've turned it down a little bit, but it's not looking very good right now.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#9 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
ETA: My mom just called. They called her and Zachary's not doing well. Apparently, he's stopped breathing on his own, and he's on a ventilator. They got his oxygen up to 70% from the 30% it was at, but the ventilator collapsed one of his lungs. They've turned it down a little bit, but it's not looking very good right now.
Oh no!

:

I hope everything turns out just fine!
#10 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Sending lots of good thoughts to your SIL and baby Zachary.
#11 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Oh, goodness Prayers for Zachary!

It's nice to catch up with you all

Evangeline is 3 1/2 months tomorrow. She's a sweetie pea and I'm so joyful about having her in my life. I come home to her and just revel in her big smiles, cooing, and fascination with life. She's at the point now where if I walk in the room she looks at me and just grins. It's amazing. I'm so relieved that we have been able to manage her GERD b/c she is such a happy baby. She's really inquisitive, too, which I love. Put that baby in a sling where she can see and she will walk with us for hours. The only thing "developmentally" she doesn't do yet is roll over. We rarely do tummy time t hough b/c she tends to spit up a lot when we do it.

We weighed her on the WiiFit yesterday and she is 12.2 lbs Yay! Love that she's growing, growing, growing. she's gotten really good about going to bed at night and will sleep from 9-6 with one feeding during that time. It's a mystery when that feeding will be as it varies...anywhere from 1-5 AM. Her hair is getting so long! any one else have a baby with lots of hair?

I'm doing ok. My supply plummeted when I went back to work and I was crushed. I pump like crazy and drink Mother's Milk but couldn't keep up with her demand. We feed her breastmilk at every meal but have started to supplement with formula. I'm not crazy about that but I won't deny her food b/c it hurts my feelings. I also have tendonitis from my two hours of pushing. I gripped the sides of the bed so hard that I created this issue in both hands! It's a bummer. I'm hoping it goes away soon. Tomorrow is our last day with either me home or DH. I'm glad that we found better daycare but I know I will be a wreck for the first week or so. I'm surewe will co-sleep even longer now b/c having her close to me at night just feels right and renews our closeness each night.

I think I'm done for now; apparently I had a lot to say

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#12 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 PM

As I posted in another topic, I am struggling with feelings related to birth, but other than that I am doing fine. DS (12 weeks) is about 15 lbs now and has started to giggle/laugh at times. I love little baby laughs. It's not a true laugh yet, but it's just the cutest thing to hear. He has also recently started to sleep from about 11pm-5am and goes back to sleep after the 5am feeding. I can sometimes get a little more out of him, but I am happy with those hours for now.

DH and I am looking at moving this summer. We would have moved last summer, but I wasn't willing to move while pregnant. Now, we just have to decide on where. The front runners for me at Richmond, VA (close to family) and Raleigh, NC (also close to family, but a little further away). We are stuck in OH for now but hope to get out soon.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#13 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Update on baby Zachary. My mom called and told my sister to start packing all the clothes for her (my mom) and my dad that she could find. They are headed down to St. Louis to be with my SIL and Zachary. The doctors are running out of options. Apparently, they can't get him stabilized to even *try* and fix his heart. This morning, when he was born, he was breathing on his own, and now this.:

#14 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Update on baby Zachary. My mom called and told my sister to start packing all the clothes for her (my mom) and my dad that she could find. They are headed down to St. Louis to be with my SIL and Zachary. The doctors are running out of options. Apparently, they can't get him stabilized to even *try* and fix his heart. This morning, when he was born, he was breathing on his own, and now this.:
Oh bmcneal this is heartbreaking! I wish there were something we could do to help!

: : : : :
#15 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
As I posted in another topic, I am struggling with feelings related to birth, but other than that I am doing fine. DS (12 weeks) is about 15 lbs now and has started to giggle/laugh at times. I love little baby laughs. It's not a true laugh yet, but it's just the cutest thing to hear. He has also recently started to sleep from about 11pm-5am and goes back to sleep after the 5am feeding. I can sometimes get a little more out of him, but I am happy with those hours for now.

DH and I am looking at moving this summer. We would have moved last summer, but I wasn't willing to move while pregnant. Now, we just have to decide on where. The front runners for me at Richmond, VA (close to family) and Raleigh, NC (also close to family, but a little further away). We are stuck in OH for now but hope to get out soon.
I live in Raleigh!
#16 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I've been thinking of him all day. Sending tons of positive thoughts and stable vibes to St. Louis. (I'm from there, and my mom works in NICUs at 2 hospitals there. St. Louis has some excellent hospitals so I'm sure he is in good hands!)
#17 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 PM

Another Update... Sad...

My mom called again. They got him stabilized, but his kidneys didn't develop fully, so he's not processing urine, and his lungs didn't develop fully either, so he's not getting oxygen. Since they have him stabilized, they are going to wait until morning. If he doesn't show any signs of improvement, they are going to pull the plug on the life support, since there isn't much they can do... ::: I wish there was something I could do to make it better somehow. They had been trying to get pregnant since shortly after they got married (almost 4 years ago), they thought she wouldn't be able to, because of the positioning of her spine or something. When they found out, she was ecstatic, and now...

#18 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 PM

So very, very sorry about baby Zachary, praying for the situation...

My Libster is doing very well!! We had her 2 mo. apt today and she's up to 11lbs 6oz and nearly 23"!!! We switched peds and I LOVE our new one!!! He's very "crunchy" and even gives out a copy of Motherine magazine to new moms!
Life is going well. We got a nice tax refund back so we were able to whipe out our credit card debt and pay off my car! Plus we still have a little left over. I really want to buy a Vita Mix! My friends who have them love them and I think it would be worth it. Plus I can help stimulate the economy, right?! Anyone have a juicer or blender they love and would reccomend?
Life with a baby is different but so much better!! We love her to pieces and she fits in so perfectly!! It's great! She is such an awesome baby too, slept for 7 hours the other night!!
Hope everyone is doing well. Our last month with this DDC! *snif snif*

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#19 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 AM

In all this mess, I forgot a pretty exciting thing! DH had an interview today, he said it "went." He has another one tomorrow at 2.15. If he gets the job, it won't be a moment too soon. We have to pay off a few things, and then can find our own place up here! : There's a house right down the street that I *love*. It's little, either one or 2 bedroom (if it's one bedroom, it won't work, obviously...) but the yard is *HUGE* (I remember when I was a kid, I raked the leaves for the person who lived there, and it was a bear, but I don't mind, I like raking leaves ) The yard is big enough that the dog and the kids can *both* play in it.

#20 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry to hear about baby Zachary.. sending your family all my love.

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
#21 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Bmcneal, how's your nephew this morning? Any improvement? :
#22 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 04:29 PM

My mom called this morning. It's bad. He's not shown any improvement. With life support, he's got a few days, without it, a few hours. They are letting SIL have today to be with him. ::

#23 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM

oh, bmcneal, I'm so sorry to hear about baby Zachary! sending him and your family lots of love and light . . .
#24 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM

O Beth!! I'm so sorry! () :

But I am very happy to hear your DH is at least getting interviews! I know up here in NH, it's hard to even get that right now!

LOTS & LOTS of hugs () to your whole family.
#25 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM

I posted in another thread about Jonathan's update...all is well (Thankfully!!)

He weighed in at 12 lbs 12 oz today and 26"!!! He is now 2 mos 2 days old. He laughed - full on laughed - last night for the first time. He has found it is fun to clap his feet together. He loves nursing and sleeping with me at night. He's getting used to daddy more and more (finally!). He loves his sisters, though! He just used his swing for the first time yesterday. Sometimes he loves it, others he hates it. He won't sleep in the cradle at all, but loves the bassinet (during the day but not at night, lol). He HATES the carrier and the sling I have, so my arms are full quite often.

I think that's all for now, since I posted the other thread. We are still using Flats & PFs for cloth diapers (w/training covers from gerber since he's so big). It is going very well. Walmart had a HUGE clearance on them so I cleaned them out and used terry cloth washcloths and flat CDs as doublers. I'm off to make some more!
#26 of 35 Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM

to Zachary

Lamine is 7 weeks old today and I can hardly believe it! He is so amazing and beautiful and I am just in love I am still mulling over the birth--it was challenging and great and wow I did it!--and learning as we go along. I love nursing and being a mom in general and thank goodness for the Moby! I am looking forward to it warming up so we can get out more, but I am also glad we've just been getting to know each other. DH is working a lot so I'm with the baby all the time. He looks like both of us and it's funny to see him make faces e make. He's a really happy baby who can scream louder than anything. he smiles and gets excited every morning when we wake up : it's all great I feel less inept than I did in the beginning.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#27 of 35 Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 AM

Oh my gosh! Poor baby Zachary. I'm now crying and hugging two of my kids, who are both looking at me funny. If my DH were home he'd tell me I should stop reading "those boards." But, seriously, I'm so sorry to hear about that awful situation. That poor, poor family. I just wish I could do something!

Things are pretty good for us. Odin's digestion is improving considerably. He's suddenly become a much calmer baby again. He likes to swat at toys now and will sit on my lap and stare at things in the room for as long as I'll sit there with him. He also likes the playmat thing that I got for him at the kid-stuff consignment shop. (Oh! Speaking of which, today I got an Ergo there in beautiful shape, for $30! It's black with the cranberry lining. I tried it out at the Costco and he was asleep in minutes! I'm so pleased with my luck.)

My little girl just turned three at the end of last month. The pediatrician said she's unusually smart. Maybe that's why she's so much trouble. Good for her, though!

We're thinking of selling our house and moving closer to town. I'm supposed to talk to a listing agent this week. I'm so excited to not have to drive as much!
#28 of 35 Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Around 3 am eastern time, Zachary left us. They still have to arrange it, but the plan is for the funeral to be on Tuesday.

Zachary Calvin 03/05/09-03/07/09

#29 of 35 Old 03-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Oh, my heart is just breaking for your family, Beth! I am so so sorry. No one should have to experience the pain of loosing a child. It is so tragic. May your SIL find comfort and healing. Zachary

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#30 of 35 Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page