Going Back to Work - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So who has or is going back to work soon? I am going back part-time starting this Wednesday.

I am confident that I picked the right home daycare, but every time I think of dropping him off my stomach starts to flip flop and my eyes start to tear up.

Anyone out there in the same boat? Any words of wisdom to get me through or also want to talk about how scary this feeling is?

#2 of 7 Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM

Oh I know exactly what you mean This week Evangeline goes to her home provider. I feel great about her, too, but I've been walking around her with all morning hugging and loving her and kissing her. Right now she is on our bed doing tummy time and is beyond cute. I leave in about two hours to take her to my friend's house and I am super teary about it. I have had MANY conversations with myself about this but ultimately know that it's what's best for our family right now. I'm the product of a working mom and I know that with the right balance Evangeline will grow up knowing how much she is loved. I am at my best when I am working, challenged by what I do. SO for us, me working is the best decision. I remind myself of this when I am feeling blue about leaving our sweet little pea.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#3 of 7 Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 PM

*hugs*

I've been working part-time from home since a week after her birth, to stretch out my leave. I have to drop her off for a few hours this week at the daycare center and am dreading it. We haven't been apart yet. That's the biggest thing (and naps!). I had planned on coming in for a few days, but now I'm just doing the minimum! April starts me going in full-time. I hate it but I have no choice. It's easier this time since I've been through it before. I know she'll be fine and am trying to gear myself up.
#4 of 7 Old 03-10-2009, 06:14 PM

I've been working full time from home for about 2 weeks now - and it's not working . She takes so long to go down for a nap and then only naps for a short time, I can't get any work done. I was really hoping it would be easy to have her here with me but it's not. So I'm thinking about hiring a nanny for a couple mornings a week, at least so I don't get completely behind (and fired!).

For those of you look at childcare, how does a childcare provider handle an infant? Meaning, how do they get multiple little ones down for a nap? I've never understood that so I've never looked into it, but I may have to. Any advice?

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#5 of 7 Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Nicole, I don't know specifically how they get multiple infants down BUT I found a great site that might help you find someone to help you care for your sweet baby: care.com You can post an ad and have potential candidates apply for it. You can also peruse the folks that are in your area that would like to be a nanny and check out their experience and their availability. When you get interested in someone you can do a background check on them and pull their references. I have a few people lined up to be babysitters for when Tim and I go out alone. I was really pleased with the feedback from this.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#6 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistenicole View Post
I've been working full time from home for about 2 weeks now - and it's not working . She takes so long to go down for a nap and then only naps for a short time, I can't get any work done. I was really hoping it would be easy to have her here with me but it's not. So I'm thinking about hiring a nanny for a couple mornings a week, at least so I don't get completely behind (and fired!).

For those of you look at childcare, how does a childcare provider handle an infant? Meaning, how do they get multiple little ones down for a nap? I've never understood that so I've never looked into it, but I may have to. Any advice?
LOL I could have written that myself!

With my son, he went to an in-home daycare where he was the only infant. And she kept him in a bassinet near her till 6 months. Afternoon naps were in the swing - can't remember about the other ones.

With my new babe(at a larger center), it sounds like they take more time with infants to put them to sleep. The lady walked with her for almost an hour/rocked her before placing her in the crib asleep. I hope they always do that, but I doubt they will. I hoping she will be so stimulated by everything around her that she will fall asleep faster.
#7 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM

I haven't gone back to work yet, but I am looking for a new job. My job ended last June and wasn't able to find another job while pregnant. This will be the third time I've had to go back to work and I don't think it ever really gets any easier. It's still hard to be away from your child, but if you have someone you trust, it helps.

As an infant, both my older kids fell asleep during a bottle and were able to the transferred to their crib by the child care provider. The provider will learn the child's general schedule and will be able to somewhat predict when they sleep and how to fit it in with the other babies's naps. As they got older, naps became more predictable and they fell asleep easier, even with more than one child of the same age.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page