Mar/Apr chat thread for Dec 2008 mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2008, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or papas, if we get any!

I just wanted to create a space which was not introductions, and not the first random thread that was started to try to get a Dec 2008 DDC started, but is for just talking... whether about pregnancy, or life, or whatever.

Like i wanted a place to say: how are the rest of you feeling? Anyone sick yet? I felt really green this evening... if only I would remember that eating makes the queasies go away, not get worse!

I had a stupendous DDC with my son, real friendships that I am still carrying, so I guess I'm just trying to recreate such a welcoming space...

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Great idea.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Just what I was looking for.

Morning sickness has hit me hard. Nausea gets worse as the day goes by. Tiredness is another one that has gotten to me. However, I think it's getting better as the days go by. How are you feeling?

My first appt to see my doctor is April 8th. We'll see what to do next and who he recommends for an OB/GYN for me. When is your first appt?

Me (35) * DH (33) * DS (8) * (01/27/08) * DD (10 mos) * (06/26/10)
Old 03-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Does anyone know when the initial hormone-induced breast soreness will go away? I remember the giant, swollen boobs at the end, but I can't remember when the early tenderness goes away (if ever).

We are due 12/4, and I've been having symptoms for about a week. Mostly fatigue, sore breasts and morning sickness. I have to say I prefer the morning sickness to the sore breasts, since at least with morning sickness I have an excuse to eat and lie in bed. The sore breasts have no such perks.

I have an appointment with my Gyn on 4/7 (a fluke, I've had it scheduled for a while) so I hope to get her advice on choosing a midwife. Last time we went the dr/hospital route, so this time I want to try to do things a little more laid back.

I hope you are all well! Thanks for you support and comradere!

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I have the sore breasts too and I am kind of excited about it, which sounds absolutely ridiculous, I'm sure but last time I had no tenderness or anything - including no growth - and my milk supply could be measured in drops. So I'm hoping that the sore breasts actually MEANS something, and maybe I'll be shooting up to a C cup this pregnancy and have ample milk - wow, what a delight that would be.

I get more and more nauseous as the day goes on because I forget to eat. I've been pounding the protein and when I have it in my belly, I feel fine. I just had an odd craving for the samosas we had last night with dinner - which are spicyspicyspicy! - and totally indulged it and I'm surprised it didn't make me sick.

My first mw appt is April 22. I've just signed up for prenatal yoga every Monday while DS is @ preschool so that I have some consistent activity (plus I need core work because I hurt my back BAD in February training for an inline marathon) so I will be watching the weeks go by with that.

I am trying really hard to have a good attitude going into my mw appt but I already am feeling really sassy because the first thing they asked me when I called to make my appointment was, "what was the first day of your last period?" - I know that many women have 28-day cycles, but mine usually last anywhere from 30-60. (The one I conceived on would have been 55.) I get tired of the assumptions. So I'm tempted, when the midwife asks me when the first day of my LMP was (which I know she will ask), to just say "January 29" and let her deal with that until I tell her "no, my EDD is November 30." Of course, the nice thing to do would be to tell her that I know the day I conceived was March 8th and then go from there.

I'm sorry I'm such a yacker today, my family is off at Costco and I bless my DP up and down for giving me some alone time, but I'm feeling a little lonely somehow!?!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:02 PM

All I have are sore boobs, which vary in soreness throughout the day. Is this normal? It is afterall my first so I'm very new to all of this. The other symptom I have is the occasional mild cramp (not a period cramp and no spotting) that sweeps over and then is gone within a few seconds. It doesn't happen often - maybe every other day. I'm tired but I've been associating it to jet-lag, and I do wake up with bad hunger pangs. I haven't felt nauseous yet, which may be a good or bad thing. It seems like most of you girls have had a bout of it already...should I start being concerned?

Are you girls still taking a pregnancy tests to make sure things have stuck? I haven't made an appointment to my GP yet but I heard they don't like to see you until you're at least 8 weeks?!

So many questions...sorry!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisti75 View Post
It seems like most of you girls have had a bout of it already...should I start being concerned?
Gawd no! no, seriously, maybe it's just how your pregnancy / pregnancies will be. I've had some of that interesting cramping too, it happened mostly the first week when I would swivel too quickly, like in bed. I just assume that every time I feel something crampy, it's yet another connection being made between embryo / placenta / uterine wall...

Quote:
Are you girls still taking a pregnancy tests to make sure things have stuck? I haven't made an appointment to my GP yet but I heard they don't like to see you until you're at least 8 weeks?!
Yes, my first mw appt is @ 8 weeks... I did one test that I almost just threw in the garbage (here) and since I don't have any more tests, I just decided that I'm pregnant unless I start bleeding. I'm going to eat like I'm pregnant, talk to the baby, try to stay positive and release the worry to my higher power...

Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 PM

Last time around, I didn't know I was pregnant until right about 8 weeks, so it has been interesting to observe the subtle symptoms this time...like certain smells gross me out (my husband's watermelon mint gum today, for example). My breasts are just a little fuller and more tender (I was a SUPER milk producer my last time around - so tenderness doesn't necessarily mean anything, I don't think, but it can't be a bad sign, I imagine!!). I actually felt great during my last pregnancy - joked with everyone that it was my "normal" (because normally, I get frequent migraines, am tired, etc.). Pregnancy felt great and postpartum I felt like I was on speed...was so excited, I couldn't sleep and roamed the house doing chores, chatting, tending to Alex. It was awesome. I hope it's like that this time, and I hope I don't annoy you all if you're sick or tired. Be sure you EAT! Maybe that's one thing I'm doing right?? =)

Anyway, my son has already absorbed the idea of pregnancy. He talks about the baby in my belly button and how it needs to get bigger before it comes out. I was actually surprised that it made such an impression on him. Are you all introducing the idea to older siblings? How are they taking it?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

I was planning on waiting til the 1st tri was past to tell my son, but my neighbor spilled the beans to him today. He didn't seem to get it yet. My friend thinks that he knows something on a subconscious level, though, because he gets up in the middle of the night every night and wedges himself firmly between us in bed. We have nothing against this, but I swear, if it keeps up, we need to get ourselves a king bed...!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Hello all! Sorry to just jump in here but I wasn't sure where to go for newly pregnant mamas! I suppose this would be the place since i am due in December as well! Congrats to everyone: I am sure you are just as excited, and nervous dare I say, as I am. I just got my yesterday, which I took on a whim in the afternoon, since my first(of the day that is, hehe!!) hpt I took with FMU was a BFN! But yes I too being a POAS addict have taken two more to make sure and look at those wonderful lines!!
I haven't got really any symptoms, minus peeing at night and slightly crampy, which is normal for me. Mostly I just knew I was pregnant. I have had three kids and "knew" with all of them too. I have taken many more hpts than I needed to throughout my time but those darn things are addicting!!
We have decided not to tell our other kids for a few weeks. I have miscarried before so I don't want to have to tell them that news.
Anyway, I hope to talk lots with you all and hope our group grows, just like our bellies!! Sticky Baby dust to everyone!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:04 PM

I am so excited to see a Dec. Mom's Club. I just POAS and it was a BFP! My FIRST EVER!! I'm so excited and trying to figure out a fun way to tell dh when he gets home. I'm thinking of telling everyone else on our Mother's Day Girls retreat (Mom and best girlfriends).

My breasts are huge and so sore I have to hold them going up and down stairs, etc.! Otherwise I'm super tired and have a cold and have been eating like three-grown-men! :

We have been TTC since August for our first, and a big thanks to TCOYF for helping me figure out my long cycles and coming off birth control after 5+ years.

YEAH!! CONGRATS MOMS!!

Lea RN, Wife to Josh (5 years), Mama to DS1 (19 mos)
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM

I am ridiculously sick, but I have been with all of my pregnancies. The new thing for me, being that I'm breastfeeding, is that my nipples are killing me instead of my boobs hurting, which makes for fun nursing.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Massive pregnancy anxiety struck last night. Mostly money concerns. We gave away all our baby stuff because we were so certain we wouldn't have more kids [stupid!]. So now we have to buy the same stuff all over again. And the fact that everything - swings, bouncers, pack n' play, everything - cost at least $50 totally freaks me out. We will be minimalists this time. All I need are boobs, diapers and a sling, right? That's what I'm telling myself for now.

Plus I work for a small company that is made up entirely of childless people. I will literally be the first pregnant employee, and the first employee to take maternity leave. My bosses have been very understanding and supportive of all my familial responsibilities, but this might be pushing it. And I am determined to take 12 weeks off, so I am already dreading the conversation. I will try to put it off as long as possible. Luckily I work from home, so they won't see my expanding belly!

My objective today is to think positive thoughts about holding my new baby. Because that's why I'm doing this. All the realities will be made evident soon enough. Thanks for listening!!

Me (30) WAHM * DH (38) * DS (4) * New baby! (due 12/4)

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
Old 03-30-2008, 03:33 PM

I am so sick. Still nursing DS who is 2 and a half so its like I CANNOT get enough food in me to stop the queasies. the super fatigue hasn't started yet, but I am looking forward to that so I can nap with impunity! I was afraid to post anything about being sick cause I thought maybe it was just in my head, since i only POAS last week. Definite cramping and a teeny bit of spotting, but I had two "periods" while pregnant w/ds so I'm not too worried. My breasts aren't sore, but nursing feels like ds is using his teeth and sandpaper to get the milk out. and I STILL can't get the grin off my face!Anyway for all!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

LeaAline so how'd you tell your hubby?

nicole, I can see how that could cause a sick feeling. Do you have a local Craig's List? That might take the sting out of replacing at least some of the items... I'd suggest freecycle too but sometimes the quality of items you get on freecycle can be less than you were looking for... we're lucky here to have a natural family living swap, it's like a private craig's list for cloth diapers, slings, etc!

All you tandem nursers, or at least mamas nursing babies while pregnant, you are hard-core. I am very grateful to my son for weaning himself around Thanksgiving.

I just got back from prenatal yoga and it was SUUUUUPER. And here I sit eating sunflower butter with a spoon, straight out of the jar... must stop that now.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM

i have zero symptoms -- nothing, nada, zilch. i feel great.
makes me feel like i should POAS again, just to be sure
Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM

phew!
yep, digital just said i'm still "pregnant." (OK, that's the last time i'll do that. now i'll just wait for some symptoms to show up)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM

I bought another pregnancy test and POAS again last night. I don't know, I just felt worried that maybe the first two were wrong! Not having an appt until 8 weeks feels crazy...and yet I'm annoyed that I feel like I need a doctor's confirmation.

It was comforting to see that nice, dark plus.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM

I plan to go pee on a another test at my MWs office on Friday just to be sure (and because I need a confirmation letter for WIC). And I still have one more $tree test to take someday soon. I'm only like 12 dpo today so I figure I'll wait until I can get a dark obvious line.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM

And I won't have an apopintment for that long or longer Erin. But thats by choice...Unless L wants me to come in for some odd reason.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:10 PM

I don't really have many symptoms other than being a bit cranky! Frankly I'm not sure if the stuff I"m feeling is phantom or real. I go in to the doc later today for my second blood test. Monday, hcg was 190 and progesterone was 32.5. I'm nervous because of my previous miscarriages so the doc wanted to put me on progesterone supplements. However insurance doesn't cover them and they are $1,000!!!!!!! So now I'm looking into some natural supplements. the pharmacist said there was no other kind available and that the doctor had also said that this is what I needed and I would have to come up with the resources. :

Otherwise, I go back and forth between feeling excited and worried. I wish I could just feel excited! I look forward to getting to know you guys and I can't wait till someone starts a belly pic thread!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM

Cody'smomma-I think your numbers look great! how many dpo were you when you had the first test? From what I read, docs are happy with progesterone levels above 20, so 32.5 seems wonderful!
I know how you feel about the excited then worried chain. I can't wait to get through the first eight weeks or so and then I will feel calmer. Since this is my last baby though, I am trying to savor every moment! Good luck to you and let us know about the new test results!!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinfor4 View Post
Cody'smomma-I think your numbers look great! how many dpo were you when you had the first test? From what I read, docs are happy with progesterone levels above 20, so 32.5 seems wonderful!
I know how you feel about the excited then worried chain. I can't wait to get through the first eight weeks or so and then I will feel calmer. Since this is my last baby though, I am trying to savor every moment! Good luck to you and let us know about the new test results!!
I was 14 dpo. Intuitively, I do not feel like my other two miscarriages were due to progesterone deficiency. I just know that if I don't do something and it happens again, then I will be mad at myself. I'm thinking of going with a natural progesterone, my sister works for a naturopath so I can get all the supplements for cost! Which would be about $15 for a bottle. Plus I would feel much better about taking an herbal supplement rather than a chemical suppository! I'll keep you posted about my test today!

**side story** I had to tell my sister I was pg in order to ask her about the supplements! So sent her a pix message that showed a bun in my oven. She didn't get it at first, but after thinking about it, she said, "oh, congratulations? Is that what I'm supposed to say?"

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 PM

Wow that's great for 14 dpo! I just got my betas back, (didn't get progesterone), and at 12 dpo I was only 68. Now that concerns me a little Not sure if that's good enough, but I have my next test done tomorrow, results in Friday. As long as they are doubling, I think I'm gonna stop obsessing with the numbers. I m/c twice, once at 8 weeks and once at 11 weeks with a blighted ovum, both times betas were not rising like they should. With last DS, who is almost 11 months, my betas doubled normally so I felt better.
I am having a hard time not telling people about our pregnancy too! I will at the very least wait until the second betas come back.!!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmacey View Post
I bought another pregnancy test and POAS again last night. I don't know, I just felt worried that maybe the first two were wrong! Not having an appt until 8 weeks feels crazy...and yet I'm annoyed that I feel like I need a doctor's confirmation.

It was comforting to see that nice, dark plus.
I just took another test today too. The three I took last week all were very, very light but the one today both lines showed up dark. So yeah, I'm still pregnant!

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 AM

I went in for my first doctor appointment last week and the results got me worried. This is my first pregnancy so I have no idea what I should be expecting. The doctor estimated I was nearly 6 weeks along based on LMP although I explained that my periods are usually upwards of 38 days long so I felt pretty sure I was only a little over 4 weeks. Doctor did blood work and ultrasound. Pregnancy hormone levels were around 300 but ultrasound revealed nothing in the uterus. Endometrium 11mm thick. However there was a cystic structure near one of my ovaries. Doctor said could be one of two things 1) tubal pregnancy (yikes!!) or 2) early intra-uterine pregnancy with corpus luteum cyst of pregnancy (huh?). Said since I hadn't experienced any bleeding or cramping not to worry about it and come back in two weeks for another ultrasound. Of course I spent hours doing internet research and found out that ectopic pregnancies are very dangerous. Seems like she would've wanted me to come back a few days later to see how my hormone levels were rising or something!! I'm sure that I was only about 4.5 weeks along at that point so I feel like I shouldn't worry. I don't have any of the risk factors for an ectopic preganancy and I'm only 27.... Ughh I'm soooo annoyed that we did the ultrasound because now I'm just freaking out - probably unnecessarily. Has anyone had a similar experience or knows anything about this?

On another note - it is really hot here - wish I were : right about now!!

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
Old 04-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrainthailand View Post
Ughh I'm soooo annoyed that we did the ultrasound because now I'm just freaking out - probably unnecessarily. Has anyone had a similar experience or knows anything about this?
So sorry, terrainthailand! I sometimes wonder why they do ultrasounds so early...they had a hard time "seeing" anything on my first (at about 7 weeks)...and wound up using this internal ultrasound device (not pleasant).

Hang in there...
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Who here is already experiencing overflowing boobs that cannot fit into your bras or shirts anymore?

Me... I'm surprised how early it is doing this.

Me (35) * DH (33) * DS (8) * (01/27/08) * DD (10 mos) * (06/26/10)
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to experience overflowing boobs. In my last pregnancy I had no changes except that my nipples got darker. After birthing I had next to no milk for my DS. Hope that will be different this time!!

i am interviewing for a part-time job on Wednesday and a big part of me doesn't even want to go knowing that I will have to resign from the job in 7-8 months anyway. But everyone in my life keeps telling me that they don't have to know that, it is perfectly feasible that I might not know already that I'm pregnant (date-wise) so I could tell them later that no, i had NO IDEA! I was pregnant when I interviewed! (lie, lie, BIG FAT LIE.) Still, the money would be great for us, it is a job I would be interested in and my son wouldn't mind being at preschool for the whole day 2 days a week, given that he just glares at me right now when I come to pick him up.

Hrrrm :\

Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyes View Post
Who here is already experiencing overflowing boobs that cannot fit into your bras or shirts anymore?

Me... I'm surprised how early it is doing this.
That was how I was with #1. It was great. Enjoy those things while you can

User Tag List