Nursing mamas? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still nursing 17 month old DD. It hasn't been too bad so far. There are times when I am extremely sore and I'm in tears while she nurses, but luckily, that has only been one nursing session here and there. My original goal was to nurse for at least the first year and hopefully much longer and once we got to a year, I just thought it was going so well, we would just keep going as long as it was working for both of us.

My only real concern with nursing her and having our second is that DD believes that she needs to nurse to sleep. There are times when DH puts her to bed, but she does not like it! She cries for a few minutes before settling down. My concern there is how I will be able to nurse both her and a newborn if they both need me at the same time. I guess it would be nice to have her night weaned before this baby arrives.

We did recently transfer DD from our bed to her own bed in her room and I'm really glad that has gone so well. She does expect to nurse anytime she wakes up, but other than while teething, she is sleeping from about 8pm until about 6am!
#62 of 85 Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Hi! I just joined from the Jan. DDC since I found out that I'm due Dec. 28th. I'm still nursing my 10.5 month old, but not planning on tandem nursing. I'm planning on nursing until 12 months anyways, unless I dry up.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#63 of 85 Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Congrats 100% mom.

Many women don't dry up while pregnant. You may want to check out the
book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing". You baby is still so young it can be very hard to wean so early and there are so many wonderful benefits to tandem nursing too
#64 of 85 Old 05-20-2008, 02:49 PM

I'm also a nursing mama! I'm actually just weaning my 3-year-old and hope to continue nursing my 16-month-old through the pregnancy, as I did with DS1. I am taking blessed thistle and marshmallow to help keep up, which seemed to help a little bit with my last pregnancy. I do remember it being very, very low for quite some time, though, and I'm not looking forward to that! Any other suggestions to keep up my supply during pregnancy?
#65 of 85 Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Lots of water, lots of rest (HA!) and oatmeal daily can help. Lecithin supplements can help.
#66 of 85 Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM

L is 27 months now and nursing only about twice a day, but she's still definitely getting milk. Maybe I won't lose my supply this time! Also, it rarely hurts. Lucky me! Something is different, because at night she nurses, asks for the other side, nurses on that side, rolls over, sighs, goes to sleep, and isn't heard from for 11 or 12 hours after that. This is new, because she used to wake up 1-2 times per night. Again, lucky me!

Nealy
mama to T, 5, and L, 2; EDD 12/20/08
#67 of 85 Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 AM

I don't know if it works, but More Milk 2 is apparently safe during pregnancy and is meant to up your supply.

My supply is GONE. Well, at least on one side. The other side (the always over-productive side) must make some, as every once in a while I'll see a bit of milk on it after nursing. But my dd just does not seem to want to let up. She's 16 months, and as much as I love nursing her, I'm not 100% sold on the idea of tandeming so I'm hoping she gently and gradually weans herself. If she doesn't, well, I guess I'll tandem.

We've just started the night weaning process too. The first night was okay, the second night terrible, and last night, even though she awoke several times, she never asked for milk, just cuddled practically right on top of me and went back to sleep. As much as I never planned to night wean, I'm glad I've done it. I can actually sleep a few hours a night now!

We've been practicing the tandem thing lately with her dollies too. She feeds on one side and gives me her dolly to feed on the other side, while she holds its hand and strokes its head. It is too cute! Until she gets jealous and throws the doll across the room....
#68 of 85 Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM

My DS is pretty much done, he was already slowing down, and now he's down to about 1-2 times a week, and it's been about 4 or 5 days since he nursed last.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#69 of 85 Old 05-23-2008, 12:43 AM

DS is 15 months and still nursing on demand and very often. My nipples were super sore last week, but this week nursing is much better. I bought a pump to try to stash some milk in case I lose my supply, but I haven't made/created the time to use it. Ideally, the best time for me to pump would be in the morning, but DS nurses a ton when he wakes up. I'm simply to tired to mess with it at night and too busy during the day.

I'm still on the fence about tandem nursing. Originally, I was sure I was going to do it. The more I think about how much a newborn nurses, the more I wonder if I should let DS wean - if he chooses. I really planned to nurse him MUCH longer than this, though!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#70 of 85 Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Well, ds is actually self weaning right now. I'm not saying a word about it and just going with the flow. He will be three next month, so I am not feeling like its too early or anything. Just this week he has really started cutting way back. It seems like he just doesn't remember to ask to nurse and I am not offering. He has gone to bed 3 times this week w/o nursing!!! That is the first three times in his life. No drama, he's just doing it on his own.

Whew! My nipples are really sore, so I am glad to even be cutting down if he doesn't totally wean.
#71 of 85 Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 AM

i'm not sure how i've managed this, with my poor appetite and nausea in the first trimester, but DD2 is still going strong! and i'm now technically in the 2d trimester (12.5 weeks).

the nursing is pretty comfortable now, and she claims that there's still plenty of milk (one advantage of BF a child who is verbal ).

i'm sort of planning on weaning in the near future (not wanting to tandem), especially as we've made it to the 3-year mark, but she's still so attached to the breast that in a way it's sweet -- i get to hold on to my other "baby" a little longer
#72 of 85 Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 PM

Well, my DS decided that he is done nursing!! I tried nursing him for two days and he'd just shake his head and cry everytime I tried so I gave up. He's 11 months.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#73 of 85 Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 AM

WOW.... 11 months is VERY young. I would expect it is more of a nursing strike than weaning as that would not be the biological norm.

Here are some links of nursing strikes.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html
#74 of 85 Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM

So L is starting cut down on nursing. I don't mind if she doesn't want to nurse to sleep at night -- I don't want to be nursing two kids to sleep this winter -- but if she tries to wean entirely I'm going to do my best to talk her out of it. I've tandemed before, and I know that, with my oversupply issues, a toddler is much more convenient than a pump for handling the extra. Sure, I'll have a pump, but for first thing in the morning, I prefer the pump that climbs in the bed with me and latches on without me having to help or get up. So far she's still mostly receptive when I offer boob, even when she doesn't ask. I bet she'll be more interested when the colostrum comes in, too.

Nealy
mama to T, 5; L, 2; and EDD 12/20/08
#75 of 85 Old 05-30-2008, 12:19 PM

I thought maybe he was on a nursing strike but after two days and nights of trying to nurse him I just gave up. He has been eating a lot of table foods for the last month too and seems to love them. He goes and begs for food from anyone that is eating now. In a way it was kind of sad to be done, but I have this baby to look forward to nursing now. I've never wanted to tandem nurse and this way it won't be a struggle to try and wean later on. But thanks for the links. They would have helped with my DD who I put on a bottle at 8 1/2 months when she went on a nursing stike.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#76 of 85 Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 PM

DD has weaned. I've cried everyday for a week over this. DH just doesn't understand - he says "Well, it was about time to stop that anyways, wasn't it?" and other stupid things. She's 20.5 months old, so I know she's OK without the BM, but I know it's PG-related and not truly child-lead weaning, since she didn't CHOSE for me to get PG, kill my supply and change the taste. Plus, we've both had stuffy noses from tree allergies, and she just couldn't nurse easily, so she stopped. I'm so sad...

I was fully willing to nurse through this PG and tandem if she wanted to. She's still so little and ... well, I'm just sad it's come to an end already.
#77 of 85 Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
DD has weaned. I've cried everyday for a week over this. DH just doesn't understand - he says "Well, it was about time to stop that anyways, wasn't it?" and other stupid things. She's 20.5 months old, so I know she's OK without the BM, but I know it's PG-related and not truly child-lead weaning, since she didn't CHOSE for me to get PG, kill my supply and change the taste. Plus, we've both had stuffy noses from tree allergies, and she just couldn't nurse easily, so she stopped. I'm so sad...

I was fully willing to nurse through this PG and tandem if she wanted to. She's still so little and ... well, I'm just sad it's come to an end already.
So sorry to hear that It hasn't happened to us yet... but with dd she weaned as a result of me being a single mom working 2 jobs and too busy to attend to her needs. I STILL, 4 years later, feel aweful about the whole thing. She was just 25 months old at the time. I know the pain you're feeling.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#78 of 85 Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 PM

betsy

i think there's always an element of guilt when your child weans during a pregnancy, no matter the age. we can't help wondering how long he/she would have nursed otherwise...

it helps me when i remind myself that i'm giving that child another incredible gift that will last a lifetime: a sibling.

(my DD1 weaned when i was 7 months pg with DD2)
#79 of 85 Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM

bump!

are there any nursing mamas left in this DDC?

i think my DD is pretty much done. she only asks to nurse once a day, at bedtime, for about 30 seconds. (however, she often asks if she can "share" with the baby!)

i thought i'd have mixed feelings, but i'm actually very ready for her to wean. (and to get a few months "off")
#80 of 85 Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM

My DD is still nursing lots and I still seem to have milk. WOO HOO :

My DD is 16 months right now. Looks like we may make it all the way thru the pregnancy
#81 of 85 Old 07-25-2008, 01:24 PM

HI ladies!

I am nursing my almost 2 year old anywhere from 3-5 times a day/night at this point and I really wish she'd wean. I'm kind of done with it but apparently she's not just yet. It's mainly a habit but she's pretty attached to it. I wanted to be done by 2 even before the pregnancy so I kind of have to get on it. Weaning my oldest was so easy that I don't really know what I'm doing!!

I have no idea if I have milk or not, but sometimes it feels fine and sometimes it hurts like a mother!! I'm 18 weeks.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#82 of 85 Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM

My 18 month old dd is still nursing, even though I've tried very hard to convince her it would be better to wean. I'm telling you, every latch makes me what to SCREAM in pain. She's now down to mornings, bedtimes and before/after naps. And when she hurts herself or is driving me nuts.

That's a big drop from the all day stuff she was doing when I first fell pregnant, but yeow, it hurts like crazy. And there is no milk at all.

I'm not against tandeming, but I really didn't want to. Oh well.
#83 of 85 Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

DS and I are finally done. It happened almost a month ago, he would forget to ask a lot so it was kind of his doing, but on the other hand after several days of not nursing, he asked and I said no. It didn't seem to bother him much as long as I let him lay on or touch the bbs. He REALLY likes to use them as pillows! I feel a bit bad that I didn't warn him that this was going to happen, but I just couldn't take anymore. When he would nurse it was like he thought it was funny. Like he didn't know what to do! And that just drove me nuts. Anyway, I think it's a good thing because now he has plenty of time to adjust before baby gets here. I think maybe in October or so I will let him know that baby will be needing "oowahs" when they get here. I was going to wait till then so it was not so fresh in his mind!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#84 of 85 Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM

My dd is still nursing and there is plenty of milk there. She is 19 months, and I'm 20 weeks along now. I'm working her off of some sessions, more to incorporate her dad into the bedtime routine, but I'm not opposed if she were to wean before the baby arrives. It's a tough call for me though, b/c my eldest self-weaned at 23 months, before she was born, and I feel a little like I'm pushing her away just to get a break, kwim?

Anyway, her latch has gotten incredibly sloppy lately and I've been in super pain, so I cold turkey cut off her bedtime nursing and have switched her to a cup of milk instead. We are at the end of our 2nd week, and some nights are easy-peasy, and others she screams a while at me. Once she chucked the sippy cup at my head!

She still nurses at will any time during the night (she starts out in her bed, but joins us anytime b/n midnight and 3 or so), at the start of the day and of course before naps if she isn't with her sitter. So I'm not completely cutting her off - just that bedtime one. It has still been tough though. The thing is, I can tell she isn't sad or upset about it (in a sensitive way) but rather super PISSED off - hence throwing things at my head! She is full of drama normally, and very determined to get her own way. I guess if she were sad and pitiful, I'd probably cave in, but b/c she is getting aggressive about it and more mad than upset (so-to-speak) it has made it easier for me to stick to my guns on this bedtime thing.
#85 of 85 Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Just checking in. I'm still nursing my almost-2 1/2-year-old, and except for the first 15-30 second when she latches on, it's perfectly comfortable for me. I still seem to have plenty of milk, but I guess the taste has changed or something, because she isn't asking for "nursie" very often these days -- mostly in the morning when she comes and joins me in the bed, and sometimes at other odd times.

Nealy
mama to T, 5; L, 2; and EDD 12/20/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page