What are your birth plans? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What are your birth plans?
In a hospital with an OB 17 18.28%
In a hospital with a midwife 19 20.43%
Birth Center 11 11.83%
Homebirth with a midwife 40 43.01%
Unassisted Birth 4 4.30%
Other 2 2.15%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Planning a natural VBAC with an OB. But my OB isn't a real OB, he just dresses like one. He' really a midwife in disguise.

My doula will also be there.
#32 of 39 Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice View Post
It can be done, I'd just make sure to have a VERY clear birth plan and have it signed by your OB asap. Make sure he has a copy, you have a copy, and everyone who comes into your room gets a copy and reads it before they touch you. Its all about where YOU feel most comfortable and safe. I guess step one would be to write up a birth plan and see if your OB will agree to it. It is also EXTREMELY helpful in this kind of situation to hire a doula who will advocate for you, be your voice when you don't have one.
Thanks. I actually was talking to my DH about it last night and we decided to go back to the birth center. . If for anyreason I'm risked out of the birthcenter I might go back to the OB, But I don't want to be around people just waiting for me to "fail" when I deliver. I want people who are supportive and encouraging like the midwives.
#33 of 39 Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV View Post
Homebirth, and while I strive to stay open to whatever this birth brings me, I am hoping to catch my own baby on land this time (wasn't a huge waterbirth fan)
amie, just curious as i've never come across someone who didn't like waterbirth: if you don't mind sharing, why not?

i actually found that during my 2 natural births, water was the last place i wanted to be (the tub made my contractions far more painful ). i was wondering if i was an oddity, or if other women had had a similar experience...
#34 of 39 Old 04-21-2008, 12:45 PM

We are planning our second unassisted waterbirth.

#35 of 39 Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chic2chic View Post
amie, just curious as i've never come across someone who didn't like waterbirth: if you don't mind sharing, why not?

i actually found that during my 2 natural births, water was the last place i wanted to be (the tub made my contractions far more painful ). i was wondering if i was an oddity, or if other women had had a similar experience...
With my first baby I got in the water earlier on, as soon as the tub was full, and it was wonderful. Not so much in a pain releif way, I just felt more "safe" in the water.

The second birth I was saving the tub for when I *really* needed the releif. I didn't realize how far along I was until my body started pushing, at which point I ran for the tub, flinging clothes off as I went. I don't think the water helped so much for that birth. Maybe because all I used it for was the actual birth. It was nice to have the side of the tub to squeeze the living daylights out of, but a person would have worked much better, and kept me more grounded.

I think I'll do another water birth this time, or have a tub just in case I want it... but I am curious what land birth would be like.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#36 of 39 Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#37 of 39 Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 PM

heres the plan...

I'll find out soon if this is how it all really turns out since I'm due TODAY (not that I'm even close to labor however).

In a hospital (a big one) with my family practicioner delivering and my doula attending for the entire labor and birth. I didn't get the chance with dd due to pitocin induction but this time I will definatly take advantage of the whirlpool tub in the laboring room!

My intention is no pain meds (narcotics or epi), no pitocin (to help me avoid the previous listed ), and I'm definatly putting my foot down and not getting a saline lock when admitted. If I need it later I can get it later.

After delivery as long as everything is A-ok I still plan to take no pain meds (even over the counter). I'm going to stay my customary 24 hours after delivery so I can get some free bedside service, talk to a lactation consultant, have no chores or cooking to do, have no pets to look after, and get all the family visiting out of the way there so everyone isn't invading my house to see the new baby in the days following!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#38 of 39 Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Well, I thought I was planning a homebirth, but now I'm not so sure. My MW is seriously ticking me off and I'm not sure if I still want to use her. I am not being a hormonal 39/40 week pregnant woman! I doubt I could find another MW at this point so I may end up going back to the same OB I went to last time. I just don't know but the whole situation is stressing me out and making me cry. Not to mention my 2 year old has decided he doesn't need a nap anymore but gets super cranky when he doesn't get a nap.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#39 of 39 Old 12-01-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
Well, I thought I was planning a homebirth, but now I'm not so sure. My MW is seriously ticking me off and I'm not sure if I still want to use her. I am not being a hormonal 39/40 week pregnant woman! I doubt I could find another MW at this point so I may end up going back to the same OB I went to last time. I just don't know but the whole situation is stressing me out and making me cry. Not to mention my 2 year old has decided he doesn't need a nap anymore but gets super cranky when he doesn't get a nap.
Oh no, mama! I'm so sorry things are still this way. Have you tried talking to her about it yet? Did she miss another appt.? This is really uncool of her...but maybe at this point you should just open up and be honest (even if you do get emotional about it in front of her) to get it out and hopefully fix it before the birth. Do you really see yourself switching so late in the pregnancy to an OB? Will they see you and be able to "squeeze" you in? I always had trouble w/ them being able to see me on short notice (had to make appts. at least a month ahead to be seen easily). Would it be easier to sit her down and tell her like it is...you hired HER..she works for YOU..not the other way around, kwim? Can you switch to another MW? That would be my first choice if i had to...you should be able to have the birth you want at home, the birth you chose. I wouldn't let this mw stand in my way. Sit her down and let your voice be heard, mama!

good luck...keep us posted

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page