What are your birth plans? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What are your birth plans?
In a hospital with an OB 17 18.28%
In a hospital with a midwife 19 20.43%
Birth Center 11 11.83%
Homebirth with a midwife 40 43.01%
Unassisted Birth 4 4.30%
Other 2 2.15%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a poll to put it into simple numbers!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#2 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 07:31 PM

I already told you that DH and I are on board with a HB and a midwife!!! Thanks for the poll....

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#3 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM

Hospital, Midwife, drug-free, no episiotomy here. I hope.
#4 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 PM

HB w/ my favorite MW who has yet to deliver me (Emerg. transfer w/ #1, and moved with #2)
#5 of 39 Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM

I voted for Other for me. I will ba HBA3C with a MW there but she will be in another room unless I need her if I need her at all.

Oregon : mom x's 4 DS 1995 DD : 2005 DD2 2006 DD3 2008 hopeful future : Also full time college mom!
#6 of 39 Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 AM

Hospital VBAC with a doc and midwife. Hopefully my best friend can attend as doula and I'll be able to get through it with no meds. Would love to have a straightforward birth and healthy baby and go home in the 2nd or 3rd day after birth (last baby was in NICU for a week).
#7 of 39 Old 04-01-2008, 12:26 PM

I would like to have a homebirth. I had Ds in a free-standing birth center, but we moved and said birth center is at least a half an hour away. So we'll see how things go, but that is what I'm aiming for. With a midwife, of course.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#8 of 39 Old 04-01-2008, 02:52 PM

In a hospital with an OB.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#9 of 39 Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM

UC with dh keeping an eye on the crazy monkeys in our zoo !!!!
I have a mw who I will be seeing for visits but she is very supportive of whatever I want for a birth. I am not sure who will be at the birth, I know for sure the kids will be there and dh will be in charge of my hot washcloths, as that is his official job while I labor, but we are thinking of having a party with friends, we will either call them when I go into labor, just after the baby so we can have a birthday party. They have kids that are close to ours in age and we would love to have a bit of a break if they come over and keep an eye on them after the cake, so dh the little one and I can get a nap!!!
I am hoping that I might even manage a water birth or, perhaps get into some sort of water this time as I have managed 5 kids and no water except for wet washcloths...... so hoping for some h2o!
Laura

laura, dh Brian, ds Rory 14, dd Ellie 13, ds Caelan 11, ds Seamus 9, ds Finn 7 and Penelope 2 !!!!

#10 of 39 Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM

I'd really like a HB but our insurance doesn't cover HBs (it is specifically excluded in their info) and DH isn't on board unless insurance covers it. So I guess the next best thing for me is a free standing birth center.
#11 of 39 Old 04-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak4ever View Post
I'd really like a HB but our insurance doesn't cover HBs (it is specifically excluded in their info) and DH isn't on board unless insurance covers it. So I guess the next best thing for me is a free standing birth center.
I wouldn't take what they have in their policy to heart. I know alot of people that have had a homebirth covered by insurance that claimed they didn't cover it. Talk to some midwifes in your area. Ask them about your insurance. If they work with a billing company or person who knows what to bill for they will pay for the prenatal and post partum care just not the birth. Once they bill the standard rate for the prenatal visits then there is usaually enough left to pay for the accual birth. Thats how the MW here work with insurance. Sucks that they will pay for everything else just not the accual "birth" but I would still look into it.

Oregon : mom x's 4 DS 1995 DD : 2005 DD2 2006 DD3 2008 hopeful future : Also full time college mom!
#12 of 39 Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 PM

I actually spoke to a midwife yesterday and she said she has never had my insurance company cover a HB... : It bites because last summer DH changed jobs and the insurance we were on before would cover HB.

But I will ask about the billing with the next MF I speak to. Thanks.
#13 of 39 Old 04-04-2008, 01:30 PM

Ah grr men

Why did we bother with natural chilbirth classes, not only would Michael prefer me to give birth in a hospital but he ACTUALLY told me to schedule a c-section!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! Was he not listening at al????

I want a hbvac but I need to do research.
He also said he wouldn't go to interview a new midwife with me and the final descion is mine.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr
#14 of 39 Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Ah grr men

Why did we bother with natural chilbirth classes, not only would Michael prefer me to give birth in a hospital but he ACTUALLY told me to schedule a c-section!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! Was he not listening at al????

I want a hbac but I need to do research.
He also said he wouldn't go to interview a new midwife with me and the final descion is mine.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr
#15 of 39 Old 04-05-2008, 05:03 AM

Planning my first HB after 2 BC births. Open to unassisted with a midwife friend in attendance. But aren't sold on anything. Lots of time to research, think and decide!!

If the midwife is late, oh well!
#16 of 39 Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 AM

Wow, you've gotta love a forum where we homebirthers are the majority for once!

Oops, somehow I clicked on the Dec ddc by mistake. I don't know how I did that... I should be in Sept. So, keep in mind one of your poll respondents for hb is not in your ddc. Sorry.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#17 of 39 Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 PM

I'm hoping for a homebirth assisted with a midwife. I'm moving in May and have to wait until then to start interviewing for a midwife!
#18 of 39 Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 PM

This will be my 3rd birth at the same free standing birth center. It feels like home to me and I wouldn't want to give birth any other place
#19 of 39 Old 04-06-2008, 03:18 AM

Hospital with an OB for me.

Both of my other children were delivered in a hospital with an OB. However, I've managed to avoid episiotomies. I did have an epidural with both kids, with DD because I was freaking out and losing my mind, and with DS because I was stuck in bed trying to avoid the cord prolapsing.

This time, what I really want, is not to be stuck in bed. I wanted to move around with DS, but because that cord kept coming between my cervix and his head, I was stuck. This time, I really hope I can move!

As to who will be there...probably hubby, my mom (she's already assuming she'll be there like with the other 2!) and hubbie's mom. Thats who has been there the last 2 times, and its been a great experience each time.

I don't doubt my choice of a hospital birth, its the right choice for our family, but I can sure see why a homebirth is for some!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#20 of 39 Old 04-08-2008, 12:18 AM

We are planning our 3rd HBAC with a midwife. We LOVE our midwife.
#21 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Hmmm I think I will have my babe at a hospital, the one I'm liking is this holistic almost free standing birth center that advocate water births. That's what I'm aiming for.

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#22 of 39 Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Hoping this one sticks! Our next birth will be in a hospital with a midwife.
#23 of 39 Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM

It really is so wonderful to see all these homebirths. i will also be having a homebirth with a midwife.
#24 of 39 Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 PM

We're planning our second hb after the first two were born via cesareans ()

I loved my first homebirth one year ago today (Happy 1st Birthday Baby!) and I can't wait to do it again in October.
#25 of 39 Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 AM

I just found out I'm expecting #3. I'll be planning my third midwife-assisted homebirth.
#26 of 39 Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Another midwife assisted home water birth... assuming I can find a mw, they're not so legal here

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#27 of 39 Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 PM

I didn't vote because there was no "have no clue" to vote for LOL. My DD was born in a very main stream hospital with my mainstream OB (induction, epidural ect.). My son was born in a hospital birthcenter with midwives. Drug free, I labored in the water and could have delviered in there if I wanted. I've thought about a HB this time around but I really think we can't afford it. I like my OB a lot despite his main stream ways, we click well. I did love giving birth in the birth center(although my current insurance mey not even cover that . It was much more laid back, my DD got to be there. It was all in all a better experience. That said, I really am not a fan of the midwives that deliver there and I do not like the hospital part at all!!!! So this leaves me so torn on what to do and honestly I don't really like any of my options. For now I'm just going to stick with my OB for the first few visits.... Anyone every have a natural birth with an OB in a mainstream hospital??
#28 of 39 Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
I didn't vote because there was no "have no clue" to vote for LOL. My DD was born in a very main stream hospital with my mainstream OB (induction, epidural ect.). My son was born in a hospital birthcenter with midwives. Drug free, I labored in the water and could have delviered in there if I wanted. I've thought about a HB this time around but I really think we can't afford it. I like my OB a lot despite his main stream ways, we click well. I did love giving birth in the birth center(although my current insurance mey not even cover that . It was much more laid back, my DD got to be there. It was all in all a better experience. That said, I really am not a fan of the midwives that deliver there and I do not like the hospital part at all!!!! So this leaves me so torn on what to do and honestly I don't really like any of my options. For now I'm just going to stick with my OB for the first few visits.... Anyone every have a natural birth with an OB in a mainstream hospital??

It can be done, I'd just make sure to have a VERY clear birth plan and have it signed by your OB asap. Make sure he has a copy, you have a copy, and everyone who comes into your room gets a copy and reads it before they touch you. Its all about where YOU feel most comfortable and safe. I guess step one would be to write up a birth plan and see if your OB will agree to it. It is also EXTREMELY helpful in this kind of situation to hire a doula who will advocate for you, be your voice when you don't have one.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#29 of 39 Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Hospital with a midwife and a doula. My last birth at the hospital was an excellent experience. No pain meds, no interventions, labored in a tub and multi-jet shower. I never let go of the baby the entire time (except for the bath, which my dh did). I like having someone else clean up for me and feed me for a couple of days.
#30 of 39 Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Homebirth, and while I strive to stay open to whatever this birth brings me, I am hoping to catch my own baby on land this time (wasn't a huge waterbirth fan)

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page