The Business of Being Born? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen this documentary? I'd like to rent it and make my DH watch it.
#2 of 14 Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM

I havn't seen it yet I was suppose to go to a screaning but couldn't find childcare. I hav heard it is very good and very eye opening.

Oregon : mom x's 4 DS 1995 DD : 2005 DD2 2006 DD3 2008 hopeful future : Also full time college mom!
#3 of 14 Old 04-02-2008, 01:17 PM

I've seen it. You can watch it instantly on netflix. I thought it was great and something that all moms and family should see before giving birth. It's a great tool to begin asking questions and analyzing what is happening to women in America and what you want to do about it.

Perfect for someone at the beginning of the education journey.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#4 of 14 Old 04-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jumping in from Nov DDC...

I saw this at a screening in Richmond. It was really good and all the births made everyone in the theater cry. I wish it could have been even more in depth but there's so much material to cover, and I think they did a really good job in the topics they did talk about.
#5 of 14 Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM

I have seen it twice and LOVE it! I think it is a must watch for all pregnant women and especially their families who are worried about them having out of hospital births.
#6 of 14 Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 PM

I just watched most of this yesterday. Here's how to watch it for free: sign up for the netflix two-week free trial. download video and watch! cancel free trial before the end of the two weeks. Actually I noticed there were lot of documentaries you could download. I loved the Business of Being Born. Most of the stuff I already knew because I have read several books about maternity care in the US but it was cool to see it in documentary form. Actually, the movie was perfect right now because it made me feel empowered again about homebirth. I think everyone who is pregnant should watch it!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#7 of 14 Old 04-06-2008, 01:59 PM

We have dial up, so downloading isn't an option. I've ordered it to be delivered from Netflix. I had signed up for a screening, too, but then got the flu. Then another friend said she watched it, so I figured I'd better watch it!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#8 of 14 Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM

One of my best friend's watched this last week and loved it. She is loaning it to me so DH and I can watch it, too. She doesn't know I am pregnant yet so our entire conversation about the film will be so funny to her when she does find out

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#9 of 14 Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM

I thought it was really well done, beautiful depictions of home birth and makes the point with a little humor. DH was on the fence about getting a mw before he saw it but after he was adamant - VBAC all the way!
#10 of 14 Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 AM

My husband and I really loved it. My only real issue with the documentary was that I wanted more. It just seemed so short.
#11 of 14 Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM

I just watched the trailer and it gave me chills. My brother is going through Chiropractic school and said I really needed to watch it so I guess I will be getting/renting it!

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#12 of 14 Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Our friend rented it from Netflix for us and I just learned that there will be another screening in my area so hopefully I will get to see it a second time and take a friend or two I liked it, but it didn't have any info I didn't already know.

Stay at home mom to three little boys born 6-06, 12-08, and 4-11.
#13 of 14 Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM

I'm really wanting to check this out!!!!! I'm going to show dh the trailer tonight!
#14 of 14 Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM

I got it on Netflix and watched it without DH, but now its a must-see for him. He is on board with me finding a midwife after I'm done with the Reproductive Endo, but he's still nervous.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page