Help Me Spend My $5000 Deductible Wisely - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-07-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our insurance has a $5000 deductible. So, everything related to this pregnancy will be out of pocket until we meet that. I'm looking for ways to tell my doctor that we'd like to be as "cheap" (read "natural") as possible. For instance, I know the first thing I'll do is pee in a cup. Is that really, truly necessary? I just read the article about birthing in Holland, and would love to live in a culture who thinks like they do. The next thing we'll do is the ultrasound, basically confirming a heartbeat. I'd really like to skip that too.

Can anyone help me come up with a conversation dialogue that will help me to sound educated and prepared. I have no idea how much they will insist on these tests, but I'd like to be prepared if they put up a fight. I really don't want to feel like a bad mother.

Jakob 10/12/2005...He thinks he's
Mollie 12/8/2008....Pure sweetness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 PM

I'm not good at eloquence, but FWIW, most insurance will only spring for a medically necessary U/S so I'd just ask if there is an absolute medical necessity for it. I don't plan to have one at all unless something major comes up. As for peeing in a cup, I do that, but I can tell you off the top of my head that my 2 tests performed late in pg that I saw bills for, GBS and something else, totaled right around 100$. I know there are parts that aren't necessary a second time around like blood typing, certain carrier testing, etc. Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

"Medically Necessary" Thanks. There's the key phrase I was looking for. sheesh! Has pregnancy brain already arrived? :

Jakob 10/12/2005...He thinks he's
Mollie 12/8/2008....Pure sweetness
#4 of 4 Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM

I hope you are successful in translating your needs to your healthcare provider Isn't it frustrating to discover that you have to meet these crazy deductibles?

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page