Nutrition advice. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas and mamass to be again!!!

Okay, I mostly consume a vegitarian diet (some fish, dairy eggs) I am pretty skinny, about 115 pounds at 5'6 I was nursing up until a month ago so I sense I'm a little depleated. With Dakota I only gained 20 pounds and after birth and with nursing I literally dropped to 95 pounds. which took me forever to gain weight back and contributed to my ttc issues (ttc for 10 monthes) I plan on trying to gain about 50 pounds this time which I think will replenish my dietary needs and to have extra weight for nursing since I loose it so quickly. Anyway I have pretty bad m/s and really don't want to loose any weight. I am able to eat frequently an kepe it down I just need advice on really good nutrious foods that are easily digestable.

My list of things that are really good and taste really good to me are:

~Brown rice with broccoli and soy sause
~Brown rice with eggs andd cheese for breakfast
~Fruit smoothie w/ carrots and ginger
~Veggie stix and hummus
~Whole wheat pitas w/ hummus
~Pretzles w/ cut up cheese (mmmm sounds really good right now!)

So does anyone want to add what healthy things they are eating and can give me some nutrious ideas to snack on!??

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 PM

I've been eating almond butter and V8 not nessicarily together
#3 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh Good suggestions! Thank you!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#4 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Ohhhhh I'd give my left arm to be in your shoes LOL! Can I just send you some of my lard? teehee I'll throw in free shipping
#5 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Coconut oil is great to mix in with things and I often use it instead of butter, it's got all kinds of wonderful fats that are good for you.

Avocados.

You could consider a protein powder to make shakes. I know there are some all natural blends availabe online and that would give you protein and calories.

Hope you can gain the weight you need.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#6 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 PM

We do lots of protein and good fats....coconut oil, butter, eggs, avocados.

I follow the Brewer Baby Diet. I try to focus on getting 80 grams of protein and about 50% of my diet in good fats.
#7 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstump View Post
We do lots of protein and good fats....coconut oil, butter, eggs, avocados.

I follow the Brewer Baby Diet. I try to focus on getting 80 grams of protein and about 50% of my diet in good fats.
Those are great suggestions! I never tried cocount oil, though I love cocnuts! I didn't relalize they have fat in them. I'll have to check that out! Can I ask what the Brewer Baby diet is? Sounds like I should try it!

#8 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyred01 View Post
Coconut oil is great to mix in with things and I often use it instead of butter, it's got all kinds of wonderful fats that are good for you.

Avocados.

You could consider a protein powder to make shakes. I know there are some all natural blends availabe online and that would give you protein and calories.

Hope you can gain the weight you need.
Oh Oh Oh never thought of protien shakes!!! Since I do shakes every morning that makes a lot of cents! I should have thoguht of that one!

Any way, thank you all for all of these wonderful suggestions! What are others doing to get good dietary needs?

#9 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

You are too funny! I'll gladly take it!

#10 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munki'sMom View Post
Ohhhhh I'd give my left arm to be in your shoes LOL! Can I just send you some of my lard? teehee I'll throw in free shipping
Oh you are too funny! I'll gladly take it!

#11 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
Those are great suggestions! I never tried cocount oil, though I love cocnuts! I didn't relalize they have fat in them. I'll have to check that out! Can I ask what the Brewer Baby diet is? Sounds like I should try it!
http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/
#12 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 AM

I'm a vegetarian (no fish) and have been doing a lot to increase good protein sources.

To your list I'd add in tempeh, tofu, and legumes (delicious beans!). Also, there are so many veggies that have surprising protein counts (e.g., peas). Couscous is a great multigrain choice with a good amount of protein, too.

Tofu and tempeh are terrific with a stirfry

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#13 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM

I'd say nuts as was recommened by my MW, but then I remember I have a severely food allergic kid and think, nope, nuts aren't a great choice. I've been living on things like chick peas, but I enjoy losing weight during pregnancy
#14 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 04:30 PM

Yes, I have to second avocadoes. Extremely nutrient- and calorie-dense. And loaded with good fats.

Also, another on the coconut oil. I mix coconut oil and almond butter together and refrigerate it. For some reason, the coconut oil doesn't harden back up when it's mixed with the almond butter, so if you leave it out, it's really runny. Straight out of the fridge, though, on a spoon, it's divine, and sometimes just what I need to get a queasy moment to pass. Coconut oil got a bad rap in poorly managed and documented research studies, when in fact it's very rich in medium-chain fatty acids that our diets are usually lacking, as well as other valuable nutrients including lauric acid, which is also found in human milk, so you know it's good for you

Whole milk products like yogurt, cheese, and, yes, even ice cream, as long as it's something fairly pure like Haagen Däsz, or if you make your own. (That way you can control the sweetener used and how much you use of it.)

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#15 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Okay! Thank you all for helping me out in the food department! So too add the to the list:
~Temph
~Almond butter mixed with coconut oil
~Whole milk products
~Avocodos
~Nuts
~Tofu
~Legumes
~Peas
~Couscous
~Protien Powder ( for smoothies!)

Awsome! Thank you all for the suggestions! What else are people doing to ensure good calories?

#16 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
What else are people doing to ensure good calories?
Avoiding refined sugar and refined grains. I figure if I can cut those two out of my diet, pretty much everything else I eat has nutritional value.

Still, the Finns conducted a research study in which they found that women who eat a small amount of chocolate every day give birth to happier, more content babies. So once I feel better, I will probably indulge in this

#17 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

OOOOhhhh so good to know about the chocolate!!! I love chocolate!!! Yeah once I start to feel better I too will be consuming some!

#18 of 25 Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 PM

My suggestions would be leafy greens every day (I like chard steamed) and if your morals allow it cod liver oil-a good brand.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html

I don't always get it every day, but I try.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#19 of 25 Old 04-11-2008, 07:39 AM

You know, I was eating really healthfully along those lines... until the nausea and food issues started. Now I only want to eat horrible things, beige and orange things, and bacon. The thought of eating a vegetable right now nearly makes me throw up! Same way last pregnancy. So i'm taking my vitamins, trying to get in lots of fruit and cheese and nut butter, and I should be my normal, healthy self by 14 weeks.

If you like coconut milk, one of my favorite recipes is for Kenyan Mbaze beans. It's so easy and delicious with lots of protein and fiber!

1. Saute some garlic and a chopped onion in olive oil or butter until the onion gets clear and yummy.
2. Add a can of coconut milk and 2 cans of pinto beans (or any bean, really).
3. Let it cook for a bit to meld the tastes, not very long.

That's it! I like to eat it over brown rice, and if I want extra protein, I shred chicken into it, too.
#20 of 25 Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 AM

I'm trying to eat 2 organic eggs a day. I have to laugh, because every time I mention to certain people what I eat, they say "oh no! you mustn't eat that! eat this instead!" When I switch to "this", someone else says "Oh no! You mustn't eat this, you should eat THAT!" :

Point being that I just read in a pg book that too much milk and eggs make women gain too much weight. *shrug* I have been drinking milk and eating eggs all along, and not noticing a huge weight gain...

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#21 of 25 Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post
My suggestions would be leafy greens every day (I like chard steamed) and if your morals allow it cod liver oil-a good brand.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html

I don't always get it every day, but I try.
A side note....are you are fellow TF/WAPF pregnancy mama?
#22 of 25 Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
*wave hand* hi me too!!

although I guess you can call me more of a TF/WAPF aspirer at the moment. The WAPF pregnancy diet is proving very hard for me to follow while pregnant. I can't quite stomach that much milk, although I've been getting the 2 eggs a day. And I was totally craving liver a couple of weeks ago. But that much milk a day just makes me feel yucky, bleah... and it sounded like a disaster waiting to happen to take cod liver oil on top of my fish oil capsules I'm already taking - so I'm not doubling up...

#23 of 25 Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ah thanks so much all of you for wonderful ideas!

#24 of 25 Old 04-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
count me in, too... (minus the dairy, though)
we've been trying to follow a TF diet for a year now. oddly, i'm having massive cravings for meat & shellfish this pregnancy!
#25 of 25 Old 04-13-2008, 02:43 PM

Nutrition? What's that? I just want to eat big, buttercreamy cupcakes from Whole Foods... :

I can't wait till the second trimester kicks in and I can control the foods that don't make me barfy. Veggies and salads are helpful. What a strange evolutionary development, morning sickness that makes me only want to eat horrible foods.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page