Care provider dilemna - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 2 Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
 
happilyloved's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still have NO idea what I am going to do this pregnancy. For my first I planned a natural birth in the hospital with an OB - got an induction for dates and a c/s. Second baby I planned a homebirth with a CPM - despite things getting pretty far outside the "normal" box, I had a wonderful HBAC. Over the last week of my pregnancy though my midwife and I clashed pretty strongly. In the end she stood by me and I know that I would not have had that birth with any other care provider. I don't know if I can go back to her though, knowing that she is capable of flipping out at the last minute. She is very warm and sweet most of the time, but under stress she gets pretty snappy and is tough to deal with - not what you need if something is coming up in labor! There are a few other midwives in the area, 2 that are "local" and 2 more that are an hour or more away. I already interviewed one of them last time and we just didn't "click" but I may talk to her again. There is another who is newer to the area. I have never met her, so I will definitely be trying to get in touch with her to talk. There are also 2 midwives a little further out (60m and 90m away) that I have heard great things about. I don't know if they would even take me on, but I will probably at least find that out so that I know all of my options.

The other option is hospital with an OB or midwives. I can't believe I am even considering it after my previous 2 experiences, but I feel like I have to look at all the options. The main reason I am even considering it is cost. HB would be completely out of pocket and hospital would likely be covered 100%. We have a high deductible plan that we will meet the in network deductible and then everything is covered 100% We won't come even close to the out-of-network deductible, so it would be all on us. We could cover it if we need to, but it is hard to swallow. Hard to put a price on a safe birth though.

Ugh, I was so not ready to make all these decisions. I will probably call my OB over the next few weeks just to establish care while I make my decision. He can't backup homebirths anymore, but he is respectful about it.
happilyloved is offline  
#2 of 2 Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
 
Starfish11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck making t his decision. It can be mindboggling weighing all the options!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Starfish11 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off