Days and days of cramps, any way to lessen it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember this from being preggo with DS, I've been crampy for about the last week. With his pregnancy I think I remember it lasting for a month or so. It's unnerving and annoying.

I obviously don't want to take any medications for it, but I'm wondering if it's like those pre-labor cramps that extra calcium and magnesium might calm it down somewhat.

Anyhow have any good info from a midwife, etc? I honestly can't remember if I took any extra cal/mag last time.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#2 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 03:54 PM

I had cramps for about 24 hours last weekend. For me, I think it was dehydration/constipation combo because we were traveling. I drank a lot of orange juice and water and tried to get more rest and they went away.

But having those for a month would be unnerving. I hope you find your answer.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#3 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 04:00 PM

I cramp a lot, too, so I feel for you. I have to say that mine don't really hurt and my m/w told me that they are normal and a good sign, so not to worry.

I do intake a lot of calcium, though, so it may be a way to lessen the pain.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#4 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistenicole View Post
But having those for a month would be unnerving. I hope you find your answer.
Yeah, it is unnerving. Part of me wonders if this one implanted pretty low again (my last one I had a partial previa for a while). With my son I think I cramped for at least a month...it was just like low achy pre-labor cramps. It did eventually stop though.

It is unnerving though!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#5 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
I cramp a lot, too, so I feel for you. I have to say that mine don't really hurt and my m/w told me that they are normal and a good sign, so not to worry.

I do intake a lot of calcium, though, so it may be a way to lessen the pain.
I am going to try the calcium/magnesium and see if it helps!

#6 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 05:09 PM

I don't think the cal/mag would hurt!

Let me know if it works cuz I'm pretty crampy here too!
#7 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 PM

You're not alone...I definitely have been very crampy the last week or so..and at first it really scared me quite a bit. I did a ton of research on it online...and of course lots of mamas here have said it's pretty normal too...and probably a good sign actually. So, earlier today...the cramps completely stopped for most of the day...and I actually freaked out because they weren't there anymore! Geez...I can't make up my mind...do I want cramps or not??!! Anyway...they're back...so I guess they just come and go. But I'll take that over m/s anyday!! :Puke

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#8 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 PM

YOu know what I found with my son's pregnancy? I'd have a very crampy day and my belly would get bigger. I always found that the cramps directly correlated to growth. But maybe that's just me.
#9 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM

I get a bit freaky w hen the cramps stop too

Ok, I love that you got bigger with the cramping...that's CLEARLY my excuse too for getting bigger; no way is it the eating

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#10 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM

I have been really crampy too.
#11 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyJonah View Post
YOu know what I found with my son's pregnancy? I'd have a very crampy day and my belly would get bigger. I always found that the cramps directly correlated to growth. But maybe that's just me.
Yeah, I read that it feels like cramps because the uterus is expanding!

I did take the calcium/magnesium this afternoon. Still a little achy today while doing laundry. Definitely comes and goes!

#12 of 17 Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 AM

So I'm having cramps as well...do ya'lls feel like AF cramping? I KNOW that I am PG so I'm wondering what's going on? I haven't been to a dr yet, so I'm not 100% of EDD...but I think I'm about 4 weeks...any suggestions?
#13 of 17 Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post
So I'm having cramps as well...do ya'lls feel like AF cramping? I KNOW that I am PG so I'm wondering what's going on? I haven't been to a dr yet, so I'm not 100% of EDD...but I think I'm about 4 weeks...any suggestions?
Mine feel sort of like a low deep (but not strong) ache in the lower abdomen. I only feel them occaisonally, feels annoying.

They're not as strong as period cramping, but sort of similar to the pre-AF cramping. Though, more of an ache than a cramp.

Hope that makes sense .

#14 of 17 Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 AM

I would describe mine as Christy did: similar to AF cramps but not as strong.

#15 of 17 Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm having the cramping, too. I thought they really were AF cramps, so on Tuesday morning I took a naproxen sodium since I had to drive in to work that day and didn't want to be incapacitated when the cramps got stronger. Of course, you're not supposed to take that while pg or bf, but I stopped bf 2 weeks ago (*sniff!*) and figured AF was on the way so it was OK, right?

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#16 of 17 Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflippy View Post
I'm having the cramping, too. I thought they really were AF cramps, so on Tuesday morning I took a naproxen sodium since I had to drive in to work that day and didn't want to be incapacitated when the cramps got stronger. Of course, you're not supposed to take that while pg or bf, but I stopped bf 2 weeks ago (*sniff!*) and figured AF was on the way so it was OK, right?
I don't know how preggo you are but I think at this stage there are only so many cells and they aren't so differentiated yet. So I'd think that one time isn't going to hurt. So try not to worry!

This cycle (which was the first we really tried) I eliminated the caffene, that was my biggest challenge. Did it over 4 days so I wouldn't get a migraine.

And, I am REALLY tired. Have fallen asleep on the couch or while putting DS to bed 3/4 nights! ACK!

#17 of 17 Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflippy View Post
I did the same thing since I suffer from Endometriosis. The pain was so bad I thought for sure we hadn't conceived this month but I was wrong! I just called the RE and they told me to stop and take Tylenol with Codeine which is approved for pregnancy. I feel bad but its probably better than the vodka and cigarettes I had with DS before I know I was pregnant with him

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page