2nd, 3rd or more times mamas.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-29-2008, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's share our experience...What advice would you give to others based on your other pregnancies?

I was lucky enough to have a great first pregnancy, I felt good throughout both physically and emotionally. Two things I did religiously though were drink plenty of water (I'm sure this really helped me avoid getting constipated and the dreaded haemorroids), and used a rich body lotion or olive oil on my stomach every day. I was really surprised that I didn't get any stretch marks except for a few silvery ones on my lower abdomen right at the end.
#2 of 25 Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 AM

It sounds like you're just not stretch mark prone like some people. They say that lotions and such really don't make a difference. I also used them religiously, and my sides, lower stomach, butt, and legs all the way down to the back of my knees are covered in stretch marks. Oh, and my breasts, too. You just get 'em or you don't.

Anyway, get rest when you can. I always nap when my kids nap, and actually, I also nap every morning when DH gets up (he works nights). I go to bed with them most nights now, too.

The pains will be more intense and start earlier this time. You'll notice things you didn't even notice last time!
#3 of 25 Old 04-29-2008, 12:05 PM

This is my 5th. Yes....things happen faster and I feel things more and more with each one.

I actually had a maternity shirt...not really maternity but an empire waist on yesterday and some one heard i was pregnant...looked at my belly and said WOW....is it TWINS. I almost fell over....I am not even showing yet....you freak!

Anyway....I have very much BTDT.....with most everything. I have had almost every type of birth except a UC...not something I am comfortable with due to my first being a c-section.
#4 of 25 Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM

This is my 3rd, and all my pregnancies seem to start out the same. Mild queasiness and very tired...

My advice has been the same all the time. Lots of water, yoga and massage. If you have breech issues and/or sciatica I'd also throw in chiro care. Definitely the time of your life when it is GOOD to take care of you, kwim?
#5 of 25 Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Sleep as much as you can

Also try to do something different with this one. Do a belly cast or prego pictures or something to make you remember them.
#6 of 25 Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM

this is my 4th.. sleep if you want to, walk if you want to. Listen to your body, don't fight your feelings.
#7 of 25 Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM

This is my 4th pregnancy (will be my 3rd child as one PG ended in MC).

My first and second pregnancies were awful. First I had toxemia and preeclampsia, irregular heartbeat, anemia, high BP, preterm labor, and so much swelling my skin started to burst on the backs of my legs & arms, on my belly & on my back.

With PG #2 it ended in MC On Christmas.

With PG #3 it was picture-perfect. No MS, no complications. Felt great the whole time. Only thing was 7 days of labor. Even still... totally worth it.

With this PG I'm having SEVERE morning sickness. severe.

My advice would be to *TAKE PICTURES* of yourself, or have someone take them of you. You only get to be pregnant a couple of times in your life if you're lucky, and its something you'll never get to replicate. Those photos are priceless.
#8 of 25 Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 AM

This is my 5th pregnancy. My 1st 2 ended in MC's.

My advice is drink lots of water and walk or just work out anyways. It makes labor much easier if you are fit.

Also, don't believe the stories that your 2nd labor is always faster!!! Mine was 1 hr and 15 min. longer!! I know that's not that much longer, but I was watching the clock thinking it was taking too long.

Keep your house clean up until you go into labor. Then you won't have to worry about cleaning for a while after.

Prepare freezer meals. They are life savers esp. with other babies in the house to take care of.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#9 of 25 Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM

This is my third pregnancy, second child.

My biggest piece of advice is to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH as far as birthing and breastfeeding goes. Know what you want and don't take the mentality of, "I'll do my best but things happen." Things DO happen, but in my experience, if you are determined to have them your way, they're more likely to go your way.
#10 of 25 Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Yeah, I'm covered front to back from my chest to below my knees with stretch marks and I drank a ton of water and cocoa buttered my belly several times a day with #1... some people are just more prone.

I say drink water like crazy, get a LOT of protien (at least 80 grams per day).
Don't worry about weight gain, just eat as healthy as you can.
Do some yoga and/or pilates a few times a week and take walks when you can.
Research your birth options and choose what make you most comfortable, forget about what everyone else thinks.
Research Optimal Fetal Positioning.
Pamper youself as much as possible, and ask for help when you need it.
Realize that having children is the greatest blessing one can attain, and with great blessings come great sacrifice. The discomforts of pg and birth are part of that, embrace them, don't fear them.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#11 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Hi, just checking into this due date club today. This is my third preganancy, my first ended in a loss at 20 weeks, my second was my beautiful son, I'm 7 weeks along on this one.

This one has felt different than my other two, for one thing I'm cold all the time, both of the last times I was too warm.
#12 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM

This is my 8th pregnancy

My first three resulting in the gorgeous little ones in the links in my siggy. The next 4 pregnancies resulting in m/c and 5 wonderful angel babies.

My advice.......The better you treat yourself in pregnancy, the better you treat your baby. So pamper yourself.

Take pictures of yourself throughout your pregnancy because you are never as "fat" as you think you are. And what should that matter anyways...your pregnant!!!
#13 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM

This is my 3 pregnancy so far since becoming a mother I have learned:

-Don't sweat the small stuff
-Sleep as much as you can whenever you can!
-I am a very good mother but I will never be a perfect mother
-my kids still love me and thrive depiste my many faults
-Never say never!
-DO NOT read books like "what to freak out about when your pregnant" I mean "what to expect when your expecting"
-research things, but don't drive yourself nuts. there are many things where you can read 3 different articles, amd get three different fully researched answers. just go with your gut and what feels right for your family.
-oh and stock the freezer with lots of meals! Maybe towards the end we can share meals that freeze well.
#14 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice View Post
IResearch your birth options and choose what make you most comfortable, forget about what everyone else thinks.

i think this holds true for parenting and life in general. worth repeating because someone will always have an issue with how your doing something
#15 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

OP here, some great advice, keep it coming. Re the stretch mark thing, I did think that you couldn't really do much to prevent them and you were just prone to them or not. I already had stretch marks (faded ones) on my upper legs, hips etc from adolescent so that's why I was so surprised I didn't get many during pregnancy, I guess I was just lucky.
#16 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 04:31 PM

My first pregnancy was awesome. No nausea at all.

It's so different this time around.

I used lotions and all that religiously during my first pregnancy and my stomach still ended up looking like a road map -- but it didn't start till the last month when the kiddo started really growing.

BUT, I kept using it, and my stretch marks were never really purple or anything like that. They were always a light silvery color.

I don't have much advice except that I had light spotting during my entire pregnancy and the baby was fine the entire time.

And I'll second the "Never say Never" from meetoo! I found myself eating a whole lot of my words that I just spouted off with during pregnancy. lol.
#17 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
-DO NOT read books like "what to freak out about when you're pregnant" I mean "what to expect when your expecting"
LOVE IT!!! And I second that suggestion!

Hrm...

let your partner take your older child/children out so that you can have alone time to do whatever you want - eat, sleep, lie around, take a long shower...

Eat what you feel like, within reason... I have just come to terms with a huge chocolate milk craving, realizing that there are A LOT WORSE things I could be doing to my fetus, like drinking, smoking, and eating McDonald's every day.

Go to the chiropractor at least once a month, more often as you get bigger. My DC was my savior with #1, she was the only person who made me feel human and upright when I got so big. And now she's having a baby in July aaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiii! Who will take care of me?!?!?!

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#18 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 10:50 PM

This is baby #5 for me.. My advice is to REST!!! Get plenty of sleep, drink a lot of water and eat well. Eat small meals throughout the day to keep your energy up and just enjoy the pregnancy. It goes by way to fast!

Ditto about the "What to expect" books.. run away!! lol

Take childbirth classes, research and read!! Go watch the "Business of being born".. Look into all your options and don't take no for an answer! Look into a great doula.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#19 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
I have just come to terms with a huge chocolate milk craving, realizing that there are A LOT WORSE things I could be doing to my fetus, like drinking, smoking, and eating McDonald's every day.
You too! I get this every pregnancy. I want homemade chocolate milk, I never drink milk normally.

I agree take pictures, my last ended in loss and I only have a couple pictures of me pregnant- something that would be very precious to me now.

Allow yourself to feel whatever it is your feeling and work through those emotions. Don't feel guilty when you think 'What have I done? What am I gonna do with this baby?!' or other freak out moments because it's perfectly normal and it happens to almost all of us!

Try to stop and be 'in the moment' when you're eager to get the next phase of pregnancy. You'll never be pregnant with this baby again!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#20 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 AM

I third or fourth the advice not to read "what to expect" because it isn't even very useful if one of those lousy things does happen.

My other advice though is to trust your gut...if you think something feels wrong don't let anyone talk you out of checking it out or doing what feels like you need to do.

and finally don't worry about every little thing you ingest or breathe or see or feel...we aren't perfect and babies have been surviving for a long time in imperfect situations. If something bad does happen it won't be because you accidentally had a glass of wine, or ate a piece of sushi, or thought the wrong thought. Sometimes bad things happen, most of the time though, they don't.
#21 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 06:56 PM

If you can, get a pregnancy massage at least once a month. I felt great the whole time I was pregnant with DD (well, after the awful first trimester) and I really think a lot of it was due to getting a massage from someone who specialized in pregnancy massage a couple of times a month (she had really great rates, probably because she was very spacey and always late!)
#22 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Lots of great advise here!

I totally agree with getting massages and also I strongly recommend Chiropractic adjustments. I had them weekly with my first pregnancy and I think they were really key in how easy DD's birth was. When you think about it, if everything in your body is not properly aligned, then it makes that baby's progress much more difficult.

I read a LOT about birth and what exactly is happening in your body during contractions and I think it helped me SO much to know what was happening and how the muscles where working to get the baby out. I could visualize what was going on in my body and it really helped me relax and let it happen rather than being tense and fighting it.

Bradley Method classes were really fantastic for us. They just really took us through everything and really prepared us for what to expect the whole way through L&D. Our instructor offers refresher classes which we plan to take during this pregnancy. The relaxation exercises were wonderful and really helped me know how to relax through a contraction and again, let my body do what it needed to do rather than tensing and fighting it.
#23 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 PM

This will be my third child and this is my third pregnancy. My advice is rest, and take time for the children you already have as well as for yourself. Cherish every moment of being pregnant because your life is about to change drastically. Having a child is the most amazing thing that will ever happen in your life. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS trust your instinct!
#24 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 AM

This advice is great! Thank you all I look forward to hearing more.

It was on this board that I read really bad reviews about "What to expect..." and ended up getting some others that I've enjoyed so much.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#25 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyred01 View Post
Allow yourself to feel whatever it is your feeling and work through those emotions. Don't feel guilty when you think 'What have I done? What am I gonna do with this baby?!' or other freak out moments because it's perfectly normal and it happens to almost all of us!

!
Can i just thank you for posting this. I have been having a lot of these feelings and some times it makes me feel bad. Three is scaring me we will be outnumbered!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page