What prenatals do you take? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious.. I am thinking about changing mine again since these are making me even more nauseated.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Well, ever since I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up I haven't been taking mine They make me nauseated so I was taking them before bed every night.

I should start doing that again *sigh*. My Midwife recommended them and I actually bought a bulk order when I was pg with DS, they are Prenatal Forte by NF Formulas.
#3 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 03:48 PM

I take the Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal w/ the vegan guard. I have never had a problem taking it, I take one in the morning midway through breakfast. I find if I eat before and after it helps!

#4 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 PM

I take Perfect Prenatal by New Chapter. The daily dose is split into three small (tylenol size) pills so you can take them with meals throughout the day to avoid the nausea. I take all three at bedtime and have never had a bit of nausea with them. I also love them because I can't do the giant size prenatals. Gag.
#5 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 04:19 PM

I was taking an RX, but I feel sooo crappy now, I'm not taking it anymore. I will start up again when I feel better. Plus they made me constpated
#6 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 05:21 PM

Rainbow Lights are AMAZING!!! My friend who is a nutritionist/doula/apprentice MW swears by them and says they're far better than most on the market including Rx. They are absorbed so much better and have probiotics and RRL in them, too.
#7 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 PM

I take perscription materna because in my first pregnancy after trying several they were the only ones that didn't make me horribly constipated and/or nauseous and my insurance covers them so I didn't have to pay out of pocket. They aren't natural though, they do smell like vanilla and have a coating which seems to help me stomach them.
#8 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Rie

Super Nutrition Pre-Natal are awesome. I can even take them w/o eating anything and they don't make me sick. I have no problems w/constipation.
#9 of 22 Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 PM

I also use Super Nutrition Pre-natal blend. I have been on them for 6 1/2 years and I love them. I do have to eat something first and have found that they work best about 15 min. or so after I eat.
Purchasing them online saves tons.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#10 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 AM

I don't take a prenatal, just a daily multivitamin and a B6 complex for the folic acid.

I take them at night before bed and after a small snack because that's easier on my stomach.
#11 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 AM

None. I'm far too sick to take them...I can't get them down, let alone keep them down.
#12 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_momma View Post
Rainbow Lights are AMAZING!!! My friend who is a nutritionist/doula/apprentice MW swears by them and says they're far better than most on the market including Rx. They are absorbed so much better and have probiotics and RRL in them, too.
Where do you get these at?

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#13 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 PM

I have Rainbow Lights but HATE them, they call for 6 of the horse pills a day. I suffered till I found a midwife and she said they called them "Rainbow heavies" as they have way to high of % of most things. She said it's totally OK to take 2 a day for now since I have them. I kinda want to change after a while. They make me burp up green tastes.
#14 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 PM

I got my Rainbow Lights at the local co-op. Any local natural store or even a Whole Foods would have them. I've heard that these are the best for mom and baby, that's why I take 'em!

#15 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebabydoll View Post
I have Rainbow Lights but HATE them, they call for 6 of the horse pills a day. I suffered till I found a midwife and she said they called them "Rainbow heavies" as they have way to high of % of most things. She said it's totally OK to take 2 a day for now since I have them. I kinda want to change after a while. They make me burp up green tastes.
We posted at the same time! Did you try the Rainbow Light one-a-day's? I've heard the multiple pills a day thing is AWFUL, so I take the once dailies and they're reasonably sized and my doc said they're awesome. I compared the % of each vitamin to my pregnancy book (vegetarian pregnancy fwiw) and it was spot on and has the right kind of vitamin c and has the rrl etc. etc.

Not that I'm pushing my vitamins! Just passing along what I've heard.

#16 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 PM

I was taking Super Nutrition Simply One until just trying to swallow the dang thing made me nearly vomit now, on the advice of my midwife, I am taking sublingual B6-B12-Folic Acid. She feels my diet is good enough to not need the prenatal but she wanted to be sure I got the folic acid. I get them at Trader Joe's and while they are rather obnoxiously cherry-flavored, they dissolve under my tongue and I don't have to worry about swallowing them. THAT is a bonus.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#17 of 22 Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 PM

I have Finest Prenatal Complete....basic Walgreens brand, two very small pills a day.

I did have a few sample packs from my OB, but they had a coating that made me vomit, so I switched back to the ones I had. All prenatals have to have at least 800mg of Folic Acid, so my doctor just said to find something that worked for me and she hated the Rx ones, but some women prefer the idea of having a perscription *shrugs*

I do also take a DHA supplement...and THAT is a horse pill.

~ Kiera 12.9.08
#18 of 22 Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM

My dr. gave me tons of samples and I have taken them just because I had them but my favorite prenatals are some I found at my local health food store - Nature's Plus Source of Life. They have whole food concentrates and don't seem to upset my stomach like the rx ones did.
#19 of 22 Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 PM

FWIW, my naturopath told me that if I can't keep down my prenatal, that I could just go with a folic acid supplement until m/s goes away. She says 800 mg/day of folic acid is pretty essential right now. Other things are more flexible.
#20 of 22 Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM

I take a Whole Food prenatal. It doesn't make me sick.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#21 of 22 Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM

I also take the Perfect Prenatal by New Chapter Organics. The only gripe I have is the rabbit food smell that rushes out when I open them up, haha! They call for 3 a day, I take them all in the evening or before bed.

Rebecca DP
our baby girl (12/2008)
#22 of 22 Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 PM

I took Nature's Sunshine last time, and I'm going to take them again, I just haven't gotten any yet. (I know, should be taking them.) They never made me sick, I loved them!

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page