***High Risk Mamas Support Thread*** - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I am new to this forum..well, i signed up a while ago but I am just now getting around to starting to post.

First of all, I am sorry that so many of you have been having issues. I have read a wee bit of the posts but not all.. hopefully I can get to know you girls during the rest of our pregnancies.

I am on bedrest for chorioamiotic separation as well as a partial placental abruption. Risks are premature rupture of membranes and of course bleeding if the placenta separates further from my uterine wall and then premature delivery. I am just trying to do as little as possible so I can keep my little girl in there as long as possible..problem is she is lagging in growth because of the placenta issues..blech. hopefully though she will do well enough to get us closer to a safer delivery date!

BTW, My name is Heather and I have 4 older children (dd 11, dd 9, ds 7 and ds 10 mths.) I lost a daughter in Oct 06 to a lethal skeletal dysplasia.

I am 34 yrs old and still bfing my baby.with the ok of my peri. I can't think of anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 06:13 PM

welcome to the thread! I'm so sorry about your loss!

I didn't call anyone. I went to bed. I slept like a rock through the whole night. I don't remember anything about the night. I took a couple of pain killers before I went to sleep, but I felt so... displaced this morning. I haven't slept through a whole night in so long. I don't know what caused it. I'm in alot of pain today, alot. My bones hurt really badly. I can't lay in one position for long and I don't remember waking up to move. Ugh.. I'd rather not get any sleep than have my bones pay like this. And I'm loathe to take anything for the pain as I took them at midnight last night. This sucks. whole night of sleep and I'm on the verge of tears all day.

This is terrible. Its my hubby's agency's 10th anniversary party tonight. We're going. We've already paid for the hotel. Frick. I figured I would go because I'd just sit there and it should be ok. I'm already in pain and I haven't barely moved.

What a bad day for this to happen.
#303 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 06:23 PM

sage im so damn sorry. that indeed sucks. hopefully just having your mind engaged a bit someplace else might help. happy anniversary, sweets.
#304 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 06:25 PM

btw, welcome newest.
#305 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Welcome Heather! I'm glad you said hi Are you due in December? Or checking in from another DDC? I'm very sorry for your loss and how complicated this pregnancy is being for you. How are you doing on bedrest? Do you have help? Having a wee one has got to be a challenge!

Sage I'm glad it didn't progress to anything, sorry if I alarmed you. I'm sorry you are in so much pain, I think your body probably needed the sleep though. It might not feel good but seriously you can't even survive without a reasonable amount of sleep.

See how you feel later, if the distraction will be worth the possible discomfort...getting out might feel good enough to be worth it. If you hurt too much though just say "no" Really it makes no sense to push yourself into a bad situation just because you paid.

I am so happy today...even though I felt awful and crappy all morning. Its just such a difference on the days DH is home. He offered to take next week off as his bosses are out of town and its the last week before students come back. I told him not to because I want him to save his vacation time for when the baby is born but I'm rethinking that...its the last week of the summer before my son goes off to school, and assuming all is well on Monday at my Ultrasound its the last week my bedrest really has to be this strict. It would be nice to have the week be more pleasant...last week was really really hard. I can't decide.

Maybe I'll have him take a day or two off rather than the whole week...we've got stuff going on some days anyway that would be better without him around so maybe he can just take the end of the week off.
#306 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 08:02 PM

sage,
that sounded like a very strange feeling you were having last night. any spotting? continuing? i'm sorry about the timing of your outing. i kind of wish you wouldn't go, but i suppose whether you are sitting in a chair or lying in bed, in pain, maybe the difference isn't so much. if the party is in the hotel, i say make an appearance and then comfy yourself up in the hotel room! with some nice room service! i think i would avoid social scenes like that for fear of public mental breakdown! i've turned into such a hermit on bedrest, my social skills are really lacking...

aviva,
that is a tough choice! my husband is never home, but the one day he is, i really get attached to his company and the next day back is hard! i wish your husband could just get an extra week off so he wouldn't have to choose between now and when baby comes. how is your son handling everything?

heather,
welcome, and *hugs*. i am sorry about your loss, and about this stressful pregnancy. can you explain, if you don't mind, what the chorio separation is? when is your edd? are you on strict bedrest? are your older kids helping out? its such a day by day thing. sigh. i have a sch and the possible effects of it are ptl and prom as well as iugr, so i constantly am worrying about that. these days before, well, 28 weeks, are going so slow, slower even than the first trimester. i have a growth scan coming up this thursday and i am hoping for- good growth, sch smaller (or GONE!), clear amniotic fluid (last time there was blood in it ) and a general good report. that would make the following 5 weeks a lot easier mentally!

holly, how's it going?

chesapeake,
i am assuming the birthday party is finished, and i hope you all had a great time, especially your beautiful daughter! were you able to take it easy, get lots of help? it was super nice weather here in maine and i hope you had the same.

christy, how are things going for you?

selena,
its so nice to read about your grandma- sounds like you love her very much she is legally blind, does she get around her house pretty well? i've lost both my grandma's but i sure did love them. one of the crappy parts about waiting till you're pushing 40 to have kids... lots of times the great-grandparents have since passed away. how are you hanging in?

i am moody today, i think just tired of being in my house for so long, coming on 9 weeks tomorrow. (i think chesapeake wins the 'queen of the bed' for longest time on bedrest, though!) i am kind of on and off crampy, i don't think its anything except the baby growing, etc, but i like it when i have no feelings down there except baby rolling around! my husband is a total grouch from working too much, but still trying to be nice, well... we have seen better times in our relationship! 8 more weeks until our restaurant closes for the season, and then it will be much much better... i'll be 30 weeks, and he'll have off until the baby is born and beyond! happy times... just have to GET there!

baby was kicking right near my belly button, and i had my camera next to me so i took a little 30 second video of a few 'moves'. SO CUTE!

thinking about chesapeake as 'queen of the bed' has me laughing right now... a gown made of sheets, a little coat made of matching pillow case, a sparkley crown, and her queen's scepter is a tv remote! hahaha, ahhh, i am going crazy!

editing to tell chesapeake that i am only kidding around, and i hope you were not offended in any way. bedrest sucks!
#307 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 PM

For my last pregnancy I was on a message board of fellow equestrians and I was dubbed "the sofa queen" and got to make pronouncements and had a virutal scepter. I was on bedrest last time from 9 weeks to 36 weeks pretty much and except for the last four weeks of it I was a lot stricter, so this seems so much easier to me this time. Even having to take care of my son...sometimes it makes it harder, I can't just hibernate like last time and he has moments where its hard on him, but more often he's good company and even helpful on occasion so that makes it so much less isolating.

My little boy seems a bit better today after yesterday he had a huge meltdown about not wanting the baby to come. I felt so bad and it was hard to avoid the mommy guilt, he's had to give up so much that he would have done this summer because of the bedrest. He doesn't really know what he's missing exactly but the change has been a bit hard for him and I can see why he'd be worried about more change, after all what has happened so far hasn't been fun for him, and he's not dumb, he knows a new baby means Mommy will be taking care of someone else.

Hey remember the collard green debacle? (did I mention that here?) I went to the farm today and they didn't have collards, so I asked the farm worker if they were going to have more and told her a brief version of the story so she was so nice! She went out to the field and picked me a handful! I love our farm. DH made them tonight and they were just as yum as I wanted. He also made crepes with goat cheese and leeks and lentil soup so we had an awesome dinner and I am so full which is great because I actually lost another pound so I'm struggling to eat a bit more.
#308 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 08:19 PM

aviva that sounds DELISH! my fingers crossed for your ultrasound.

my darling OB opened on a saturday and had me in today. he thought maybe a little cervix change, we upped me to full bedrest as a precaution, and im gonna see a perinatal person this week. i feel like we're doing everything we can. but this is new to me and ill take all your ideas.

aviva i love the idea of you getting some fun hubby time this week.
#309 of 849 Old 08-23-2008, 10:06 PM

Hi there sage, aviva, holly and soulshine. Thank you for the welcomes

I am doing ok on bedrest..well, actually I hate it. I really and truly hate it but it is the best thing I can do for my baby so I am doing it. I was on bed rest with Milo, my 10 month old too...so I am well and truly sick of it. My older children do help out as much as they can and my wonderful partner does everything he can to help me as well. Milo, my littlest, is a very good baby and our house is set up to be pretty child proof so it isn't as hard as it could be. As far as how bed ridden I am..well, I am supposed to do as little as possible..so bathrooms breaks and fixing a bite here and there are about it. Although I admit to doing a few dishes and such here and there..no more than 30 min on my feet total..all day.

A chorioamniotic separation is a a separation of the chorion and amniotic membrane..there are two membranes in the beginning that fuse as your pregnancy progresses..usually completely fused by about 14 weeks. Mine was fused but separated sometime between my 19 week ultrasound and my 22 week fetal echocardiogram. Mine seemed to be separated from my placenta (as the membranes cover the placenta) rather than from one another although I was in such shock that I only took what I saw on the screen and didn't even have the sense of mind to ask to be certain where the sep. was or where my placenta had abrupted either..I didn't even ask the grade of abruption..Although I know there was blood in my uterus and that seemed to be what may have caused the chorioamniotic sep.

aviva- I understand about feeling better with the dh at home. Mine is such a wonderful help and more so mentally than even physically. I just enjoy his company.

Sage- I am sorry you are in such pain. I have had the separation of the pubic bone and it is hideous so I can't imagine how much pain you must be in. It sounds as if yours is a very severe case.. I always said it felt like I was being sawed into..and mine wasn't nearly as bad as yours.

I hope everyone is having a good day/night.

Holly- I hope bedrest does the trick for you and your little one! sounds like you have a great doc.
#310 of 849 Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the welcome Sage! Sorry to hear the newest kitty was in such a bad place! We adopted a puppy from a “rescue” a few years ago, with a similar feeling. He was really terrified and very sickly looking. I pretty much tossed them the check, grabbed him and ran! It’s great you are able to give it a good home. They are really cute too!

Aviva, everyone asks about the name! My dh grew up with a group of guys, and he got the nickname Boodge in preschool because one of them couldn’t pronounce his last name. We all hung out together in college, so they started referring to us as The Boodges, and it stuck! Glad to hear your son is feeling better about things today, it can be tough on the other kids at home!

Chesapeake, so glad to hear your sch has resolved! I am hoping for the same luck! I am looking forward to finally sitting down with my favorite OB next week to ask her all my questions and find out her thoughts! Congrats on your good news again! I have heard that imagining/picturing the outcome is one of the best ways to use prayer and positive thinking too! If you have any advice on getting through this, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks for the welcome hollycat! I hope the extra rest helps!

Selena, sorry to hear about the preterm labor reappearing! I have a 2 year old daughter at home too. She has learned quickly that I am not getting up and helping her follow through with directions, or able to pick her up anymore. One thing that helps us is when I know we are in a position where I need her to do something she probably won’t listen to me on, instead of asking her to do it (like get down from the TV), I attend to it as little as possible and I start to ask her to come do something fun – sometimes even treats, then pretend to have just realized she is doing something naughty. Then I say in kind of a sad voice, Oh, I’m sorry, I can’t give you an apple when you are standing on the TV! Maybe when you are making better choices we can have our apples. It has kind of become our discipline style when I am alone. Now at times all I have to use is the second part, and she will start to move towards a better choice. I have also found that praising/rewarding any move towards a better choice – literally a step, thinking about it – anything helps a lot! There is a lot of time between starting to get down from a table to actually finishing the climbing down to change your mind – and Maya is less likely to do it if I am sounding really pleased and waiting to do something fun with her. It is a challenging situation though, because a lot of my parenting style before involved being up and playing with them a lot more, so when they had down time while I did the dishes or something, they were actually ready for it rather than being bored like they are now.

Hi soulshine! We discovered my sch at 13 weeks too! It keeps changing, unfortunately not for the best, but still not a worst case scenario from what I have gathered from the other women on the sch yahoo group. I have not seen a perinatologist. I am almost 18wks now, and was told they usually won’t take a case until 24. I haven’t even seen my favorite doctor yet! So far it has been urgent ultrasounds and the tech running to catch her in between patients to find out what I should do. She put me on really light activity/pelvic rest, then I lost a good amt of dark blood over a few days, then started cramping contracting, so she put me on full bedrest. I already had a midwife appt set for a routine monthly appt, so at the last ultrasound I saw her instead. It had actually grown in volume and length, but changed shape again. She said it was what she would expect to see since the uterus is expanding upwards at this pt in the pregnancy (16w then), and that the cramping was just because my uterus was irritated by the blood. (None of the other women on the sch board have heard of this though – most of their cases stop growing or start shrinking unless the placenta is not attached well!) She put me back to modified rest, told me to continue it through cramping, and call if I couldn’t stop contractions in 45 minutes or had any more gushes of blood or bright blood. I thought she was unsure of herself, so I was nervous, but my family was happy to have me off full rest. DH and I were struggling before this unplanned pregnancy, and then the morning sickness and now this has really added to our issues! So I am REALLY looking forward to meeting with my OB next week, and to check out how this is going on an ultrasound. I really trust her, she really knows her stuff in high risk cases. And if I go back to full rest that is fine with me! My phone nurse through the insurance company said that because it was very thin, watery blood I passed that it was likely from the placenta in one of a few ways, because uterine sources of blood usually clot to some extent. So I am just trying really hard to pack in all the protein, vitamins, fluids etc that I can that should help with placental health for now, and waiting to see what happens! The bruising explanation is another new one to me. I will add it to my list of questions/scenarios for my appt next week though – thanks! If you want to share more on your overall history with this, I would love to hear all about it!

Heather, welcome! I just joined here too. So sorry to hear about your loss! I hope your little girl is able to hang in there too!

I hope I caught up on everyone’s posts! Thanks for letting me join all of you! Have a good day!

Christy
#311 of 849 Old 08-24-2008, 02:01 PM

welcome booges! sage, how did it go? hope youre all rocking today.
#312 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 AM

too tired to type, DS's preschool teacher is coming for a home visit in the AM. I'm so nervous. Which is kind of silly but I am. I am also afraid she'll think our house is aways this cluttered. which is not, at least not always.

Hope everyone is well, I will read more closely and catch up after the teacher visit.
#313 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 AM

Hi theboodges I will send positive thoughts that your sch heals instead of staying the same or getting larger. It makes it very hard to deal with every day life when you are so concerned about the health of a lo growing inside of you..I know I just count down weeks until I can be somewhat in the clear if she would have to be born.

To answer someone's questions a bit back. I am due in December..it was around the 4th..then they changed it to the 11th..now her growth makes it look like it would be later but that is because she is lagging behind..

aviva- I am sure the home visit will go wonderfully! Let us know how it turns out.
#314 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM

christy,
both the ob and the peri i see have both said that they have seen cases when the sch is still there at a full term birth... it is frustrating when it hangs around for so long. i am trying to prepare myself for this possibility. we actually discovered the sch when at 8wks, i had started spotting and went in for an u/s. (actually i was on weekly u/s for rpl). at 13wks, i was in the emergency room with a major bleed. all that time we were under the impression that it would just go away by the end of the 1st trimester, which seemed to be the message we were getting. the night before the emergency room, i was at work and did something really straining, and i think that is what caused that major bleed. so i went from 'pelvic rest, no heavy lifting' to bedrest. i think it made a big difference to have no irritation or movement to make it worse anyway. mine was 2.5cm at 8wks, 6cm at 13wks and the same at 16wks, then this last scan at 19wks showed it had gotten a little smaller but they didn't say how much. i have another scan on thursday and i'm really really hoping the sch has gotten significantly smaller. its sitting at the bottom of my uterus, sort of half on and half off my cervix. it touches the very edge of the placenta, so their is not a lot of lifting going on. i had that very watery bright red blood when i had that major bleed, too. they told me it was because the blood breaks down and sometimes it is watery. honestly, i had no real faith that any of them totally knew what was going on, something they freely admitted to... and there was nothing to be done. its interesting that the peri won't see you until 24 weeks. i think my ob uses the mfm department to monitor the sch, so the peri was involved right from 13wks on. i found the yahoo group but stopped reading there because the worst case scenarios were really getting me down, esp. because my sch was not little. its so frustrating that all there really is to be done is hope for the best, because when you are on bedrest and worrying, it is like an eternity. but all the other things that you are doing with nutrition, etc are great... i upped my protein and started taking extra iron, and water!! lots of water to make sure there was no unnecessary uterine contractions.

how'd everyone's weekend go? i had a good day with husband on his day off, next week he's taking monday too, so i really am looking forward to that. where i am, you can really start to feel the first inklings of autumn coming on... cooler nights, the leaves beginning to lose their vibrant green, the muskmelons are here, soon winter squash... and we've seen 2 monarch caterpillars already! i love autumn!
#315 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Heather, glad you found us. I am so sorry to hear of your loss and your pregnancy complications. It sounds like you are doing the right thing taking it easy! s

theboodges, my best advice would be to put yourself on complete bedrest and see a perinatologist. Mine started seeing me during my 13 week and he said I belonged in his care. So you may want to bypass your OB for now and head straight there. They have a lot more experience in dealing with SCHs and they really know what they are looking at on that screen. Hey, their u/s technology is more impressive too so they can see things better.

hollycat, glad you got to see your OB! Did you ask him about P17? I'm sure the peri you will be seeing will address it.

soulshine, you crack me up! Of course I am not offended.

aviva, that is so nice of your son's teacher to come visit! I'm sure it will go well.

sage, hope you are doing okay today.

So the birthday party went wonderfully. We had the most amazing family and friends helping out. I barely had to do a thing. I went to the pool and sat in a lounge chair the whole time but was terribly uncomfortable. I am just not used to that and it really tweaked my back, which has since recovered. But yesterday I had a lot of contractions, usually just one an hour, but I did have 3 in an hour at one point. I didn't like that at all because I had only been having like 2 or 3 contractions a week since on the P17. But I guess my body was just reacting to Saturday's activity. All the more reason to take it super easy. Counting the days till 26 weeks...

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#316 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM

Good morning everyone!

Thanks for the positive thoughts Heather!

Thanks for the sch advice Chesapeake & soulshine!

Chesapeake, I am trying to take it as easy as possible. Unless this thing has shrunk by my appt Wednesday, I am expecting to be back on bedrest. Although unless my OB says it is necessary, I won't get the support at home I need to do it. So we will see, maybe a trip to the peri will do the trick! Either way I am going to check into the peri this week. I guess I didn't realize you saw both your OB and a peri. I will feel much better if get to keep my regular OB too. My 1st pregnancy a doctor was not handling the pre-e well, and she caught it and intervened, and even came to the hospital to oversee my care personally for a week straight. Once I was back on my feet and able to research it, I realized she literally saved my life. Long story short, had I seen the original doctor instead of her one morning, I probably would have had siezures at home less than 12 hrs later. I went back to the same office to see her for the next pregnancy (the doctor that screwed up was no longer there). THings were again mishandled by one of the men in the office. This time I went to her as soon as I felt it wasn't handled correctly, and it was handled perfectly again. And during labor and delivery she is amazing, and she has offered to try to make it to this birth regardless if she is on call. So I guess my priorities may be off being concerned about all that, as I am sure a peri is much more specialized. Still, she is definitely part of my ideal birth vision! I would love to have normal pregnancies and home births, but it just isn't a safe option, and she has been such a gift - being so well trained as an OB yet so supportive like a friend or a great midwife during l&d.

Soulshine, I know what you mean about the sch list. There were a couple of women a few weeks ago that lost babies around my stage of pregnancy, and it really shook me up. Then the following week was one story after another of a healthy birth, disappearing sch's etc. So I am trying to just stay detached from the negative stories, and focus on the fact that there are women with far worse cases that had great outcomes. They have been a good place to survery on what other doctors are doing, and just to get a feel for how many people try something and which way it works out for them.

Aviva, I am sure your home visit will go well. She will probably figure things out really quickly when she realizes you are on bed rest!

And yes, fall is coming soon! We are in Michigan, and the front yard already has some leaves on the grass. The garden is winding up, although there is still some left to ripen. At lest if we have to be on rest, fall and winter are good times in some ways! Warm soups, nice to be snuggled up inside under a blanket, etc.

Have a good day everyone!

Christy
#317 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 PM

boodges, i know what you mean. i love my doc but i see a peri this week. my ob actually has tons of high tech equipment as well, he was the first in our city to have a lot of it, so i feel good in his hands. the peri is a LOT closer, tho, thats something to consider.
welcome everyone!
#318 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 02:44 PM

so it has been a crazy weekend, i try not to log on cause it make DH slightly unhappy.

On Saturday, i had to go take an exam for school. The chair was so uncomfy and the clock was wrong so i felt like i was running out of time and had plenty.- ETA: YAY i passed

then we needed to get groceries, i rode in the motorized cart, but it got done, yay. we hadn't been in about a month.

So on to sunday. It was johns moms birthday so she had a bbq, luckily my sil has this comfy recliner camp chair that i could practically lay and visit. but the we had church too. I just sat there the whole time and went up for communion. I ended up with contrax for about 15 mins for a 2 min walk.

So i am glad i can sorta rest today. I have my last teaching observation for the semester, so i am glad that will be done and not have to worry about it anymore.

I am going to pick up my mom tomorrow. Hopefully that will go well with her being here to help out. Today DD has already dumped the container of pepper and seasoning salt all over. i did a rough clean up, and very glad she is down for a nap. so much for resting right.

anyways on to you ladies.

Christy- hoping the sch goes down. and i wish we were getting fall here in Utah. It is still so hot here. I am glad your little one is understanding of the bedrest. mine just pulls my arm until i get up to do what ever she wanted.

Chesapeake- I am glad you enjoied the birthday party without too much stress and problems.

newestalouf- welcome and grow baby grow. I hope your little one can get back on track. But maybe you just have little babies. My DD was only 6 1/2 at 41 weeks.

Sage- wondering how tha party went.

Soulshine, my grandma is very proficient, she still sews as well. Basically if you didn't know she was blind you would have no idea until she asked for a verbal answer. She has a rare disease called cone dystrophy it kinda acts like mascular degeneration. She has limited frontal vision but can still see out of peripheral. All in all I think she is amazing.
#319 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM

Hi ladies, sorry I haven't been online. I had fun at the party, but I've been paying for it since. I'm in alot of pain, trying unsuccessfully to not take any pain killers. I'll come back later and respond to everyone's posts properly.
#320 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM

selena,
your post had me thinking about bedrest and doing things. believe me, i have looked at that motorized cart in the store and thought 'hmmmm... that would kind of be a good thing for me right now...' but no way would i do it!! lol and how ridiculous is that? those carts are made for people who are having issues, like those of us on bedrest! but i second guess it and think, well, i can just walk over there and these few items only probably weigh 5 lbs total and it'll be fine, because it is kind of embarrassing not to be able to do things for yourself. and the longer the bedrest continues, the easier it is to convince yourself that doing this or that will be 'ok'. but then, contractions, achiness, pain, or even worse can happen and you think 'what the hello was i thinking?!!' and then back to more severe bedrest.

the longer the time goes, too, the less support there is, i mean i think people just forget that i am still supposed to be resting the majority of the day and no lifting and etc etc... including me!! today, on the way back from my daily outing, we stopped so i could get bed snacks, and my mom and dad both saw me carrying the stuff and well, so did i, and basically, i shouldn't have been, they should have been helping me- its not like anything has changed... i think more likely in their minds they want it to be changed so much that acting as if it has will 'will this to happen'.

but, i think especially now, during these tenuous weeks before viability, it is more important than ever to take it easy, for me, to act as if the massive bleed just happened yesterday, instead of 9wks ago, because i was scared to move an inch out of bed even to go pee then, and i think the time passing has made me a little lackadaisical { <- shoot that was a hard word to spell!)
about keeping in a restful state. at this point, if i do anything to jeopardize
anything, i would be really inconsolable about that in a serious sort of way, so i wonder why i slip and find myself sitting outside when i should be lying down in bed.

so that's my new thing... 28 weeks is less than 6 weeks away, and i can do it! i need to re-commit to stricter bedrest so i don't ruin it all by thinking i 'can probably do that' or whatever. and next time i am near that motorized cart, i should just jump on and go get my pickles because that freaking jar is heavy! although, i'll probably just make my mom carry them! i just cannot do the cart

oh, something funny to share. so, husband's friend is visiting to help at the restaurant, and friend asked what the heck is the deal with whatever the bedrest is about... so i start trying to clearly and simply explain what an sch is and why bedrest etc etc to someone who knows zero about pregnancy, female body parts, babies, etc, but is truly interested, and half way thru husband interjects 'the uterus is shaped like an up-side-down pear'. and i finish, but later on, by myself, had such a laugh about this. all of our meetings with the r.e., the ob's, the peri's, and what sticks out in his mind is the pear shaped uterus. makes me like him even more than i do, because the thing is, he really does know all the medical details of how and why and when, but what we individually focus on is so different!

baby is kicking up a storm today and in general. i think there is a growth spurt going on because i've had more round ligament stretching happening (i hope that's what it is).

selena, yay for passing!! i hope your mom's stay helps out everyone involved. i can't even imagine having a 2yr old running around and being 2 while you are trying to rest- i am so glad to know your mom is going to help out!

chesapeake, so glad party went well and is now completed! that was milestone! so, tell me about your contractions? are you feeling any pain with them or is it just the tightening of the uterus? i am sometimes confused as to what is going on in there, because if this baby turn back-side out and transverse, it feels really hard in my abdomen, almost like a bh contraction. is it? when i was pregnant with my daughter, i went in for an nst at 41wks and i hadn't ever realized i was actually having bh contractions- couldn't distinguish them from the hard baby belly, so i was shocked when they told me i was having them! so i wonder, do contractions at this stage of the pregnancy feel like something other than a tightening sensation? sorry for he questions, but you always seem to have a good answer!

christy, right on... go see the peri! my ob works in conjunction with the peri, but i know thre are peri's who act as primary care like an ob would. depends on the practice. i totally agree with chesapeake, the monitoring equipment at a peri's office is usually way more advanced than what you would get at an ob's or even in the general sonography dept. at a hospital. and they tend to know more about all the in's and out's of the issues. my ob knows a lot, but he always defers to the peri's opinion (sometimes a little begrudgingly, but that's another story)
#321 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 PM

so much to say but I am soo sooo tired. Very briefly:

Sonogram was good next one probably not for a month if I can make it that long without freaking. I can try doing just a little more activity. Today was too much though and I'm crampy and uncomfortable so I'm staying down for the rest of the night.

So much to read here and I'm glad eveyrone has joined us but I'm getting confused with who has what issue We need to do a little post at the beginning of the thread to keep track.

The teacher visit was fine, and we went to the hospital too, weird hospital, really good reputation, totally odd looking place..like they had a bunch of empty rooms and made a birth center out of it...like really no decor at all, but somehow comfy that way. I swear though I'm bringing something pretty with me to focus on in labor cuz there was nothing.

I'm feeling proud of myself for being able to think of labor.

I'm thinking of all of you, and vibing for good appointments for everyone.

Sage.
#322 of 849 Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM

soulshine- re the cart: If it a short distance to get what i needed and it wasn't heavy (ie milk) i wouldn't use it. but as it is saturdays trip was one of those we haven't been shopping for a month and DH can't properly shop by his-self. over 1 hr long kinda trips. The time before that was we need to get WIC, i have to go to sign the thing and get 4 gal of milk. that is a must cart.

I highly doubt DH would let me got at all if i didn't do it, and if i did i would regret it with in about 10 mins of contrax i got form it. My contrax don't let me forget that i am supposed to be on bedrest, maybe it is different with the sch, not as immediately noticeable.

It is hard for me to think that most of you haven't reached that magic 26-28 week viability because i am due the 1st of Nov. I just hit 30 weeks on Sat. My midwive said i can be allowed to deliver at home at 36.5 weeks. which is very scary for me and would still be a tiny baby. my DD was only 6.5 lbs at 41w1d. so a 36.5 weeker would be tiny for me. I think i will stay on the bed/couch till about 37.5 ish for my own assurances but hopefully we can keep baby in til closer to 40. anyways enough of my rambling
#323 of 849 Old 08-26-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Aviva, so glad your appointment went well!!! What a relief! You brought up a good point about keeping track of why everyone is here. Should I edit the first post to include a list of everyone, when they are due, why they are considered high rish, whether or not they are on bedrest (and what type), and maybe how long they have been on bedrest? That might help.

Soulshine, I was just having a conversation with my SIL and DH about those carts! I have been entertaining the possibility of going to the store. I literally have not been anywhere else but the doctor's office in 3 months (except for the bead store a week and a half ago). But if I go, I would not want to walk around. So DH suggested those carts and I just laughed. I would feel so silly and I don't want to draw attention to myself. A plain wheelchair would even be better.
About the contractions: all day Sunday I had 1/hr until the evening when I had 3 in 45 minutes. Yesterday, I didn't have any until mid-afternoon and then they were 1/hr again - at the same time every hour. They feel like my uterus is being squeezed. I can tell when one is coming on, and there is a definite peak, and then they slowly fade away. And if you look at my belly you can see them too - my belly gets all pointy and feels very hard. I haven't had 4 in an hour, but this is a big change from what I usually experience. So I called my OB and she wants me to go in for a cervical scan with my peri today to see what is going on. Just when I thought I was contraction-free! Seems like I really stirred things up on Saturday. Man, I can't imagine what it would be like if I weren't on the P17.

Sage, hope you have recovered from the party!

Sorry to cut this short, but I've gotta go get ready for the docs... BBL.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#324 of 849 Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM

Selena- Congrats on your exam! Congrats on 30 weeks too! 2 is such a tough age anyways, at least you will be through this soon! Do you prep things for the day ahead of time? You could probably fill a few cups with snacks and set them out in the morning, also a few cups of water so you don’t have to keep refilling it. If toys are put up at your house, you could even pull out a few new things for each day to help keep her busy. I am finding this helps me have to get up less at least! I don’t know about the others with sch, but the cramps usually start for me and then the contractions set in, then I know I have crossed the line. I can get through a short activity before they set in. I can prep food, or clean up from eating, but not both in a row as an example. If I bend over or twist my body at all, they set in pretty immediately. I’m sorry you don’t even get 10 minutes! Again, you are getting so close to the end though, hopefully it helps to glimpse the light at the end of the tunnel! As for your little one being tiny, they should still be as fully developed, even if they are small. It is scary when they are that little, our first was only 5lbs. He looked like a giant in the NICU so we were pretty comfortable with his size, but once we brought him home most people were afraid to hold him for quite a while. Now he is tall though – he just turned 5yrs old, and most people think he is at least 7!

Hollycat, Good to know I am not the only one attached to their OB! I am also a little nervous about the peri’s in town here. I have not heard good things, but I guess I can always get testing there and have my OB help me navigate their advice if they turn out to be as bad as I have heard! I will know a lot more tomorrow hopefully. I am really looking forward to my appt, and finally getting to chat with my OB and see what she thinks about everything.

Sage, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I will keep sending positive thoughts your way!

Soulshine, I know what you mean, and I haven’t been doing this for very long! It is so easy to overdo it when you know you can do this thing without an issue, and that thing without an issue, that it is easy to forget and do several things in a row….then you have issues! It is hard when the people around you start expecting you to do more too, especially when it comes to adding things up like this. Great commitment to yourself and your little one though! If you can carry as close to term as possible, it will be worth the extra few months of being careful!

Aviva, congrats on a good sonogram! Kudos on being able to think of labor too. I have been trying to do so more lately. Not that I am out of the woods at 18 weeks by any means, but it keeps me feeling positive about the pregnancy. I figure it adds attention/energy towards a birth where everything goes well, it is really happy and peaceful, there aren’t any interventions, and I hold this little one right away. If all that is happening, it would need to be a healthy full term birth, which is what I want out of all this in the end anyways!

Chesapeake, good luck at your appt!

Have a good night everyone!

Christy
#325 of 849 Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Back from the peri's - cervix is holding up just fine! Phew.

So I might edit the first post to make a list of all the gals in this thread. If you want to be added, just send me your EDD and any other info you would like to share, such as whether and why you are on bed rest, duration of bed rest, etc.

Christy, you have an appointment tomorrow, right? Will be sending you SCH shrinking vibes!

#326 of 849 Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM

Congrats Chesapeake!!! Always such a relief when you get to walk away from these appts with good news!

I do have an appt tomorrow, and I am actually excited to talk to my OB and just see the results of being up and moving more the last few weeks. Thanks for all the shrinking vibes Chesapeake and anyone else that wants to send some! Awww, baby gave some kicks out for that statement, apparantly (s)he thanks you too!

And if anyone wants to send vibes to this little one to please not be so shy, that would be great too! We want to know the sex, but so far 3 ultrasounds down and it has been very insistent on keeping it's legs closed. The whole family is going along tomorrow though, so maybe that is what it has been waiting for!

I will post my stats tomorrow - who knows, maybe I will have better news to share!

Have a good night everyone!

Christy
#327 of 849 Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 AM

Wishing you a good appointment tomorrow Christy, I hope you get some great news.

Yay for a good one for you CB. That's great.

Selena that is awesome that you've gotten to 30 weeks, I know you want to keep her in longer than that, but it makes me feel good to know that you and she are probably going to make it, but I've got my fingers crossed for you anyway.

My little one had a hard day today, and it was just really rough on me because I do feel being on bedrest all summer has robbed him of so much. Yes I know a sibling is a good thing overall, but he's not seeing it that way at the moment and I'm just finding it hard that the baby isn't even born yet and still he's had to give up so much because of it. I have had such incredibly ambivalent feelings about this pregnancy....some so good and some so difficult. I wish I could just enjoy it more and be more excited.

Heather, Holly, Sage, how's it going? Soulshine your scan is thursday right? Not tomorrow? I feel like I'm missing someone, who did I forget? I'm so sorry if I did!
#328 of 849 Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!!:

I just got back from my appt, and the sch is actually shrinking!!! It is down to about 5x3x2!!!! It lost about 1/4 of it's volume!!! It was actually reduced enough that the tech and I could tell even before taking measurements. The tech did the mid pregnancy measurements too since she had great views of things she neeed, and all of that looked great!

Meeting with my OB went just well too! She has been in touch with a peri the whole time, and the peri wants me to stay with her at this point, as long as things are improving according to the timeline they discussed. She has worked with two women with sch's at 7cm through the end of the pregnancy, so she is familar with it too, but today's u/s was a probable referral if it hadn't gone so well. So a little more specifics on the restrictions, but I can still be up walking a little, just to take more care in avoiding cramping period, whereas the last mw told me to just put up with cramping and avoid contractions that were regular.

And the best news of all - I don't have to see anyone else in the practice anymore! She will see me exclusively, and give me all of her contact info when we get closer to delivery, so I can call her when labor starts and she will be there! She is all for going natural with the birth, and is even learnign more midwife skills right now b/c she is coverring for the midwives in the practice. (She has always practiced like a mw though, IMO!) This is actually a big deal, since she has lots of people request it and can't do this for many, as she has kids at home and can't be on call all of the time for everyone!

AND we finally found out it is a GIRL! We have been calling her a girl the whole time, I have been pretty convinced. This is ideal for our family situation b/c the girls will be 2 1/2 yrs apart, whereas Michael will be 5 1/2 years older. The whole family was there for the ultrasound. Tom, Maya and I wanted a girl, and Michael was really hoping for a brother. He actually cried during the ultrasound he was so upset she wasn't a boy, poor guy. He says he doesn't need another sister since he already has one of those! I am sure he will get over it, he and Maya are so attached to each other, I am sure he will be just as in love with this little one too!

Aviva, thanks for the good thoughts! Sorry to hear your little one is having a rough time. How old is he?

Well, it is time for quiet/nap time, and my kids are ready so time to read some stories! I just couldn't wait to share the good news!!!

Thanks for all of your support and positive thoughts!

Christy
#329 of 849 Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM

christy,
congratulations on your little girl and, how freaking awesome that your sch is shrinking?!!! i was so so happy to read that news. what a relief, and a great appointment all around!

aviva,
i know you know this, but this bedrest is such a d-r-a-g at this point, and i imagine it is tainting everything. when baby gets here, you;ll be feeling so so much better, up and around, and things will be less colored by this cloud of waiting and being still. it's gonna be so awesome! well, you know, realistically awesome... but awesome nonetheless

chesapeake, hurray for good looking cervixes! (is there a plural for cervix?!)
and thanks for your responses to my many questions. i have been noticing bh contractions, where i never did before, in my other pregnancy... but then again, i am noticing everything more acutely this time around- even the little nuances of baby's motions. i swear i can feel him tickling his fingers... i read online that by this time, 22+ weeks, they start having sensations in their hands, so they touch and grab more to feel the feeling. very cool! that, and they can taste! lots of things happening!

selena, you are really getting close!! 6 weeks and you will be homebirth-bound, although i totally agree, lets go for the whole enchilada of a full on 40!

sage? how are things with you?

anyone else? i have just been hanging out. nothing really different... just a few more days of august- hoo-freakin'-ray! lots of stress happening at work, but that will calm down soon. i have my peri appt/scan tomorrow. my mom and dad are coming! jeez, i am nervous about this now as i hope everything is going well in there, don't want my dad in the room if something is not good. but... hoping for some good news, like baby's on track, healthy, and my sch is dwindling away to nothingness... i'll update when i get back
#330 of 849 Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM

omg.. I want to be able to respond to what everyone else has shared but I can't. I am unable to describe the amount of pain I'm in. I haven't slept for more than a few mins since Friday. I don't know how I'm going to survive another three months of this.
Two pregnancy outreach workers came over yesterday. Their award winning advice? Go to the hospital. Make something up if I have to, but go there and stay there until the babe is born. Uh... yeah... thanks for that.

I think of you guys alot, I miss you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page