Weak, can't breath, dizzy, racing heart???????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This whole pg I've felt weak and dizzy in the mornings until at least noon, but sometimes all day. I just lay on the couch and watch TV and when I have to get up to help the kids I feel like I might pass out. Several times while sitting down I've gotten this out of body feeling without warning and I halfway fall over and then catch myself and the feeling is gone. Once everything went black while I was falling.

So yesterday I felt the same, but I felt like I couldn't get enough oxygen... I could take in a deep breath, but I felt suffocated. I was considering going to the hospital, but didn't. I went to my regular chiro appt and he wants me to see an OB in addition to my mw (who has only suggested chlorophyl for my problem).

So I was thinking... lately I've been waking up sick and hungry in the middle of the night and not able to fall back to sleep. Do you suppose its possible that my blood sugar could be so low by morning (after 8-9 hours without food) that it could actually take half the day or more to regulate it?? I REALLY don't want to see an OB! Has anyone else had these issues? Last night I ate sunflower seeds when I woke up to pee, and started off this morning with a 40 grams of protein shake and I'm feeling MUCH better today than I did yesterday... but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Any suggestions?

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Maybe iron deficiency? I'm not sure. I occasionally get the "can't breathe" thing, but not the rapid pulse or the faintness. You've called your midwife about it, right? What did she say?

Nealy
#3 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've talked to her about it a few times, she just suggested to take chlorophyl for "more energy." Our last visit she didn't even remember anything we'd taked about before... I'm not having a lot of trust in her right now, but where we live midwifery is illegal and there aren't a lot of choices in the area, so if I want to have a homebirth I'll just have to look elsewhere for help with these sorts of things. I haven't tried the cholorphyl yet, only because I haven't been able to find it yet.

I tend to get sick when I use iron supplements... I'm not sure what that means, but even in high school I remember getting sick from iron.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 02:53 PM

If you don't want to see an OB then for heaven's sake call your GP! Passing out is not good -- you might sustain an injury from a fall, or black out while driving

You are not getting enough oxygen to your vital organs (that is why you are blacking out -- your body is trying to get you prone so that blood can flow to your brain) and neither is your baby!

Skip the midwife and get your blood checked so you can start to find out what is wrong. This is not just a little "energy" thing.

(Sorry, I just realized my tone was kind of... aggressive. Of course you don't want to fall down
#5 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM

There are a lot of things it could be - anemia, hypoglycemia, thyroid imbalance are the first things that come to mind. Your midwife should be able to diagnose these with simple blood work; if she's not able to you should see your family doctor.
#6 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

No GP yet, we just got on state medical. I'm trying to find a D.O. who's on our plan who is good, but this place is so dang mainstream no one has anyone to suggest, except my neighbor and her D.O. isn't on our plan. So frustrating.

I know I have hypothyroid problems, but according to the doctor's tests I'm within "normal". My mw can't do bloodwork. I guess my first step is to find and choose a GP for my plan. I'm just terrified to tell anyone here I'm homebirthing. We moved here from Seattle, where that kind of thing is more accepted. Here, people look at me like my head is on backward.

#7 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice View Post
I know I have hypothyroid problems, but according to the doctor's tests I'm within "normal". My mw can't do bloodwork. I guess my first step is to find and choose a GP for my plan. I'm just terrified to tell anyone here I'm homebirthing. We moved here from Seattle, where that kind of thing is more accepted. Here, people look at me like my head is on backward.
You don't have to volunteer that you're planning a homebirth. If asked, say your practitioner's name is xxxxx[last name].

Are you getting enough water? When I used to complain of similiar symptoms while pg with DD (now 3 y.o.), DH would ask me how much water I'd had to drink. I called him the "water police". LOL

I also used to wake up in the middle of the night and have a PB & J sandwich.

GL!
#8 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
You don't have to volunteer that you're planning a homebirth. If asked, say your practitioner's name is xxxxx[last name].

Are you getting enough water? When I used to complain of similiar symptoms while pg with DD (now 3 y.o.), DH would ask me how much water I'd had to drink. I called him the "water police". LOL

I also used to wake up in the middle of the night and have a PB & J sandwich.

GL!

Water IS a huge issue for me, I've never in my life been able to force myself to drink enough water. I'm really trying, and DH is "helping" by filling my cup in the morning and calling and checking to see if I'm drinking. I don't know what it is with me, I just can't fit THAT much water, plus food, into my body. But I am trying, because I'm also having migraines and have had PTL with my last 2 pgs.

#9 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM

Dehydration can cause low blood pressure and fainting, it can definitely cause migraines and elevated heart rate.

Low blood pressure or low blood sugar could also cause those symptoms, those are things you can check for, or ask your midwife to check. Perhaps she does not realize how concerned you are?
#10 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Dehydration can cause low blood pressure and fainting, it can definitely cause migraines and elevated heart rate.

Low blood pressure or low blood sugar could also cause those symptoms, those are things you can check for, or ask your midwife to check. Perhaps she does not realize how concerned you are?

My blood pressure has always been lower than the average person, even when I'm pg it doesn't elevate. That's def something to think about. Thank you so much. I REALLY need to figure out how to get more water in. I'm also trying to force myself to eat more. I'm hungry ALL the time now and just tired of eating. The past few weeks I got so tired of it I'd wait 4-5 hours to eat, even though I felt hungry. I'm so tired I just don't have the motivation. I notice when I eat sugary carbs the symptoms begin or worsen within minutes.

#11 of 35 Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM

Do you know anyone with a blood sugar monitor (a diabetic friend or reletive?) blood sugar is so easy to check yourself.

I know what you mean about not wanting to eat, I get tired of it too. With water it makes a huge difference for me if I flavor it. Try putting just a drop of juice in, or make non caffinated tea, or drop lime or lemon wedges in it...whatever you like. The other thing I do is try to keep a sports bottle near me because I can chug that so mindlessly while doing other things.

For eating, having little proteiny healthy snacks made up in the morning so I can just nibble all day really helps. Or make smoothies because drinking them is sometimes easier than eating.
#12 of 35 Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 AM

The whole weak/dizzy thing could certainly be blood sugar as everyone else stated.

I had the same type of breathing problem a few weeks ago when I got out of bed in the morning. Right about this time, our blood volume is increasing, and it's going to take a bit for the red blood cells to catch up.
#13 of 35 Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 AM

I had low iron and really low blood pressure last time I saw my dr. I am on iron supplements and they do give me some unfortunate gastro side effects but next week I'm going to ask about the special coated iron that has fewer side effects. I have had much better energy since I started taking it; what I'm taking is from a pharmacy but I could have bought the stuff on the shelf (the pharmacy dude filled the Rx cheaper than buying the prepackaged stuff for me though.)

I really think you should get seen somewhere though and get your levels checked...

As for food, I found that finding really different things to eat all the time helped. Sometimes I want almonds, sometimes potato chips, sometimes an apple. And even just eating a little bit really helps. I found that if I eat every couple hours, if possible, it really helps so I don't get all shaky and vibrate-y. But getting different snacks and eating a variety of meals really helps with that. (Now I wish I had some chips in the house!)
#14 of 35 Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 AM

If you find out you do have low iron I would recommend Floradix or herbs like yellow dock and dandelion since they're much more tolerable than most iron supplements. Hope you figure out what's going on soon.

#15 of 35 Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 AM

I am having same issues. Pulse is resting in the low 100s, 120s and above with any walking at all. MW did say it was okay and normal even though its leaving my exhausted when its at its worst. For me, AM is normally better but midday and later I'm screwed (I do eat middle of night now though). She recommended lots of water and potassium since my calcium and mag. are plenty high enough. I find its betetr if I keep eating potassium rich foods throughout the day (I look like a monkey these days LOL)
#16 of 35 Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Holly did you get any resolution from this?
#17 of 35 Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Holly did you get any resolution from this?

Somewhat... I've been eating several times throughout the night and making sure to get in my protien shake first thing when I wake up, and that has made a HUGE difference. Also, forcing myself to eat when I feel hungry (which is usually about 10 mins after I eat, so frustrating), and making better food choices. I haven't seen a doctor yet, as it seems to me its a nutritional problem and since I can't see an N.D. (and M.D.s don't know much about nutrition) I'm going to give it a few more days and see if it continues to improve. I definately still need to be getting in more water. I think the potassium suggestion would also be a big help... unfortunately I ate bananas during my 1st tri and now they gag me... so I need to figure out what else has a lot of potassium.
Thanks so much to everyone!!

#18 of 35 Old 07-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Holly, I've got low bloodpressure (normally quite low, thankfully it's higher now that I'm pregnant). I have asked my naturopath about what to do if I feel dizzy from it. It sounds like you're on the right track with other things like protein, but if you think low blood pressure is a cause, she said it's safe to take licorish (the stong Panda brand candies for instance, or a tincture). Licorish raises blood pressure a bit. I'm sure she has other things to try. She's an excellent naturopath and does phone appointments if you still feel you need someone to talk to let me know and I'll give you her number.
#19 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine_Amy View Post
Holly, I've got low bloodpressure (normally quite low, thankfully it's higher now that I'm pregnant). I have asked my naturopath about what to do if I feel dizzy from it. It sounds like you're on the right track with other things like protein, but if you think low blood pressure is a cause, she said it's safe to take licorish (the stong Panda brand candies for instance, or a tincture). Licorish raises blood pressure a bit. I'm sure she has other things to try. She's an excellent naturopath and does phone appointments if you still feel you need someone to talk to let me know and I'll give you her number.
I would love to get your naturopath's number. Please let me know.

Thanks
#20 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 AM

I had similar symptoms last month. At first I thought I wasn't getting enough iron, but my iron levels turned out to be fine. Then I read Ina May's Guide, and she listed the same symptoms for moms who were having a blood sugar spike & crash after eating high-carb meals, but too quickly to be detected on the usual glucose test. I've been avoiding carbs (except fruit) lately, and I feel much better.
#21 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM

I have had the same issues. Almost exactly the same symptoms. I turned out to be severely anemic. I have to get iron shots 3 times a week because I slightly anemic and the supplements were not helping. For some reason, this pregnancy I am not absorbing enough iron, despite trying very hard. I'd highly recommend getting into to see someone ASAP. Anemia is not something you really wanna mess around with and it's getting late in the pregnancy. You need to fix this now. It will affect the baby after birth. You can get some Floridix. It's pretty gentle on the digestive system. And, also increasing your water is important. Try putting something in the water to help get it down. Squeeze some lemon in if you like that, or find some kind of mix-in and only use a small amount. I use lemonade. It's the only thing that goes down well. I just put in a littl bit. You could also try Propel water. That worked for me when I could keep nothing else down. If you're asked about prenatal care and your provider just tell them that you just moved and haven't picked one yet, but you've been seen by a few different ones.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#22 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm STILL having this problem (I'm at 36-weeks now). I don't think it's an iron issue, I've been taking a supplement for months. I really think it must be more blood sugar, becuase it happens right after I eat in the morning and usually wears off in the afternoon. I recall having this feeling before I was pg too, after having eaten a lot of sugar (on a daily basis). I do best if I just have a protein shake 1st thing in the morning and then wait an hour or so before eating real food. I sooooo hope it goes away after the baby is born!

#23 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 03:20 PM

I can get out of breath, but it's usually when the baby is in a strange position or when I'm laying down. When I change position it seems to help, but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

Are you following any special diet with this pregnancy? My MW has me on a high protein diet since I started with her in July and it seems to have really helped me feel better. I do get the crash that someone else mentioned and I have to make a real effort to avoid sugar. That's hard with the Halloween candy still being in the house, but if I do have sugar, I have found that I need to follow it with a lot of water and also have a good high protein snack or meal.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#24 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
I can get out of breath, but it's usually when the baby is in a strange position or when I'm laying down. When I change position it seems to help, but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

Are you following any special diet with this pregnancy? My MW has me on a high protein diet since I started with her in July and it seems to have really helped me feel better. I do get the crash that someone else mentioned and I have to make a real effort to avoid sugar. That's hard with the Halloween candy still being in the house, but if I do have sugar, I have found that I need to follow it with a lot of water and also have a good high protein snack or meal.
Yeah, my mw has been like a protein drill sergent lol... which is funny since I'VE been teaching pg nutrition for several years. I aim for over 100 grams a day, but its been hard this pg because I've had NO appetite the entire time. Makes me sad. I was so looking forward to how great everything tastes from the 2nd tri on, but I still have no interest in food, esp if it's a protein... well, I can't say NO interest lol... I've already eaten all of the chocolate out of the kids halloween candy, plus some. I eat A LOT of chocolate (like 1/2 pound + a day). I always have. And I know how bad it is, I teach other ppl about it. I'm sure that's a big part of a lot of the ways I'm feeling terrible lately.

#25 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 PM

Well there was a recent study that showed that women who ate dark chocolate throughout their pregnancies lowered their risk of pre-eclampsia. I've found that a very convenient excuse and justification for my candy splurges
#26 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbyscout View Post
Well there was a recent study that showed that women who ate dark chocolate throughout their pregnancies lowered their risk of pre-eclampsia. I've found that a very convenient excuse and justification for my candy splurges

lol... that usually means UNSWEETENED dark chocolate...

my indulgences are alllll about the milk chocolate mmm mmm!!!!

#27 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm STILL having this problem (I'm at 36-weeks now). I don't think it's an iron issue, I've been taking a supplement for months. I really think it must be more blood sugar, becuase it happens right after I eat in the morning and usually wears off in the afternoon. I recall having this feeling before I was pg too, after having eaten a lot of sugar (on a daily basis). I do best if I just have a protein shake 1st thing in the morning and then wait an hour or so before eating real food. I sooooo hope it goes away after the baby is born!
I wouldn't completely rule out Iron, just because you are taking suppliments - I've been taking increaseing amounts of suppliments my whole pg and just can't seem to absorb any iron. My MW takes blood samples every month or so and I am always anemic. I've tried several different kinds of Iron, taking them at different times of day, with food, without food, nothing changes. I also have upped my red meat intake (at least 3x per week, not counting left-overs) and cook pretty much everything in cast iron. We joke that I'm not having a baby, I'm building a robot in there, because where else can all the iron I'm eating go?

I'm glad to hear that you are eating more often though, I certainly notice I get weak & tired pretty quickly if I go more than 3 hours without a snack, and protein-y ones are definately best.
#28 of 35 Old 11-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Muj

Randomly during the day I'd feel similar symptoms, I had this heightened sense of awareness of my heart beating, and felt that world was closing in on me. After I was "diagnosed" with Gestational Diabetes and started eating according to the diet, more frequent meals with protein, (and taking insulin ) it went away. (I didn't realize that these symptoms went away until recently though because I was so stressed out by the "diagnosis".) BUT still today after I ate a piece of cheesecake that I thought I might treat myself to, I had the same feeling on a lower scale. So yeah, I second the suggestion to find a blood sugar meter and check your blood sugar levels as well as to continue trying hard to drink water!

And ohmygoodness, I was the same way with chocolate but now since I'm on the diet, I just have a very little bit of chocolate to appease my taste buds and then I put the chocolate away! Put it away!
#29 of 35 Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 PM

I feel it's important to point out that if you're ingesting enough iron and are still anemic, it's probably a B12 issue. Some people don't make enough "intrinsic factor" in the gut and are therefore deficient in B12 which is necessary for iron absorption. Dr. Mercola sells a really high quality sublingual B12 spray that bypasses the gut and absorbs directly into the blood.
#30 of 35 Old 11-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
My blood pressure has always been lower than the average person, even when I'm pg it doesn't elevate. That's def something to think about. Thank you so much. I REALLY need to figure out how to get more water in.
Wanted to say that I'm in the same boat and pretty positive it's low blood pressure. It's supposed to be diagnosed by symptoms and not numbers. Mine has been running around 97/50 and I can tell it's effecting me negatively. My symptoms have become so bad I've collapsed before (a few months ago, everything tilted and spun, then I was on the ground).

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page