My blood sugar just came back @ 121 :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She said they don't like to see it over 100.
now I have to drink more syrupy crap & sit around for 3 hours & be poked several times again!!!! I told her, I have a 3 year old!!! She said It needs to be done!!!:
Now my DH is going to have to take time off work so I can go sit somewhere bored out of my mind, & likely sick to my stomach for 3 flippn' hours!

She did say maybe the 3 hour test will come back fine cause some people just don't get rid of their sugars as fast......sigh..

OKay, I guess I'm done b!tching...thanks for listening:
A Mothers Love is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 PM
 
lilmissimpatient@c's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't mean to crash your DDC, but they want to see it under 100 AFTER drinking the syrup? Or under 100 fasting?

If you drank the syrup and then had the traditional 1 hour GTT, then 100 is ridiculous, I think the normal cut off is 140! I'm sorry, Mama
lilmissimpatient@c is offline  
#3 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissimpatient@c View Post
I don't mean to crash your DDC, but they want to see it under 100 AFTER drinking the syrup? Or under 100 fasting?

If you drank the syrup and then had the traditional 1 hour GTT, then 100 is ridiculous, I think the normal cut off is 140! I'm sorry, Mama
Thank you!! That's what I said!!! I said"What do you expect when you ask someone to drink a bottle of syrup???"

she just said it needs to be taken care of.
To answer your question, they had me fast & drink the syrup, wait 1 hour & had my blood drawn. She said it was too high:
A Mothers Love is offline  
#4 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 02:07 PM
 
lilmissimpatient@c's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oooh, Mama, they'd have a fight on their hands if that was me! Can you bow out of the 3 hour test? If 100 is "too high" what is "normal"? Comatose? I'm so sorry that you have to go through this!
lilmissimpatient@c is offline  
#5 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM
 
kohlby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd ask to have the one hour screen done over or simply refuse the three hour if you had the traditional one hour screen. If you drank 50something or another and then waited one hour, then it's the traditional one hour screen. (The three hour is 100, and the non-pg two hour is 75). I was told that mine was supposed to be below 100 before drinking it and below 140 after. I have heard of some drs lowering the max to 130 - but I've never heard of any saying it had to be lower than that. If I were in your position and if it was the traditional test, I'd likely refuse the three hour since your value is fine.

*Was it a nurse or the dr who said you needed to take it over? If it was a nurse, is there a chance that she got mixed up?
kohlby is offline  
#6 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
I'd ask to have the one hour screen done over or simply refuse the three hour if you had the traditional one hour screen. If you drank 50something or another and then waited one hour, then it's the traditional one hour screen. (The three hour is 100, and the non-pg two hour is 75). I was told that mine was supposed to be below 100 before drinking it and below 140 after. I have heard of some drs lowering the max to 130 - but I've never heard of any saying it had to be lower than that. If I were in your position and if it was the traditional test, I'd likely refuse the three hour since your value is fine.

*Was it a nurse or the dr who said you needed to take it over? If it was a nurse, is there a chance that she got mixed up?
it was a nurse that called me. & according to this site, you all seem more correct than she. Unless I am misunderstanding what I read.. I"m feeling frustrated & confused now.http://www.endocrineweb.com/diabetes/diagnosis.html
I may have to call her back.


ETA I called. The nurse said the MW doen't like anything over 100 & this is the way she does things.
A Mothers Love is offline  
#7 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
 
avivaelona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Happy Vally MA
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unless your FASTING was 121 than they are...well I won't say.

If that was your score at the end of the 1 hour that is normal and I would say no way to the 3 hour. Can you call back and check if that was your fasting level and the nurse just got mixed up? After a regular meal most docs do not want you to be above 120, but that is not after that many carbs, and its usually after two hours and even if that's where they are getting it, you were 1 point over and blood testing has more than a 1 point margin of error.

And honestly if that was your fasting level than doing the 3 hour is useless anyway because you should be montioring for GD anyhow, a fasting of 120 is not normal.

Yeesh the screening on the 1 hour yields way too many false positives as it is, without lowering the tolerance limits, I'm thinking that there was a mistake somewhere.
avivaelona is offline  
#8 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My blood wasn't checked before I drank the glucola syrup, just after. & another thing,,,wasn't it done kinda early? It was done @ 19w4d. I have been reading that around 26 weeks is more the normal time for this?
And, at my u/s the tech said the baby weighed about 12oz @ 19w4d. Is that a big baby??
A Mothers Love is offline  
#9 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
 
ChesapeakeBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: by the Bay in MD
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mothers Love View Post
...And, at my u/s the tech said the baby weighed about 12oz @ 19w4d. Is that a big baby??
I don't think so, unless mine is big too!!

But I do think that was a bit early for the GT test. And I agree with the other posters - 100 isn't high (well, according to what my friend's OB told her when she had borderline GD).

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a homeschooling SAHM to Annabelle 8/02 and Willem 12/08!
ChesapeakeBorn is offline  
#10 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
I don't think so, unless mine is big too!!

But I do think that was a bit early for the GT test. And I agree with the other posters - 100 isn't high (well, according to what my friend's OB told her when she had borderline GD).
I found this chart.
http://www.babycenter.com/average-fe...h-weight-chart
A Mothers Love is offline  
#11 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 03:45 PM
 
avivaelona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Happy Vally MA
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mother's love...are you significantly overweight? Did you have GD with any of your other kids? There are reasons for doing an early GTT if you suspect risk, but otherwise yes 19 weeks is early.
avivaelona is offline  
#12 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
 
Swandira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait... just to be sure, they checked your glucose 1 hour after the glucola, right? Because for that, 121 would be considered passing with flying colors by every doctor I've ever heard of. The normal cutoff between normal/abnormal is 140. I got a 160 one time and thereafter had perfectly normal, extremely stable blood sugar. If I were you, I'd call the doctor's office and question them about it.

Nealy
mama to T, 5; L, 2; and baby boy EDD 12/20/08
Swandira is offline  
#13 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post
Wait... just to be sure, they checked your glucose 1 hour after the glucola, right? Because for that, 121 would be considered passing with flying colors by every doctor I've ever heard of. The normal cutoff between normal/abnormal is 140. I got a 160 one time and thereafter had perfectly normal, extremely stable blood sugar. If I were you, I'd call the doctor's office and question them about it.

Nealy
mama to T, 5; L, 2; and baby boy EDD 12/20/08
Correct. I fasted. Drank the stuff @ 7am. had my blood draw @ 8am.
I did cal & question them. It seems I am always questioning them: I'm sure they are sick of it.
The nurse said this is just how the MW likes it done. I said, "oh, so it's just HER way of doing it?' Nurse says yes, this is the way she does it. anything over 100 is too high. I mentioned the 140 range & she said, No, this is the way she does it.

I don't think I'm too overweight. I'm 5'3" currently weigh 153. (there is a picture in belly pic thread) I am 39 years old. Maybe that is why? maybe I am overweight?? IDK.
No history of GD. I was borderline w/ pregnancy #3, but 3 hour came back well enough I didn't have to change anything.
A Mothers Love is offline  
#14 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM
 
Katielady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 2,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mothers Love View Post
Correct. I fasted. Drank the stuff @ 7am. had my blood draw @ 8am.
I did cal & question them. It seems I am always questioning them: I'm sure they are sick of it.
The nurse said this is just how the MW likes it done. I said, "oh, so it's just HER way of doing it?' Nurse says yes, this is the way she does it. anything over 100 is too high. I mentioned the 140 range & she said, No, this is the way she does it.

I don't think I'm too overweight. I'm 5'3" currently weigh 153. (there is a picture in belly pic thread) I am 39 years old. Maybe that is why? maybe I am overweight?? IDK.
No history of GD. I was borderline w/ pregnancy #3, but 3 hour came back well enough I didn't have to change anything.
That is bizarre and makes no sense. (Barge from another DDC when I saw this in new posts). As pps have said, every source of info on GD and the 1-hour test says fasting below 90, 1-hour below 140. If it were me I'd print out some information from a reliable source such as WebMD, bring it to her, and refuse the 3-hour test. And if she continues to make an issue out of it you might want to look for a new provider. Anyone who's that eager to label moms as GD would make me nervous.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Katielady is offline  
#15 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
 
mom2annika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with the PP's. 60-120 is considered normal range for a non-pregnant, non-diabetic person---regardless of what they've eaten or when.

1 point over.

I bet if you do the second one it will come back normal. But since it's a miserable test anyway...Glucose monitoring is fairly easy, and monitors aren't that expensive (my brother has Type I diabetes, so I grew up with this). Maybe they would consider letting you monitor your blood sugar levels for a week or something, instead of the 3-hour GTT?

GL!
mom2annika is offline  
#16 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 PM
 
maiaminna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel bad for you - the three hour test absolutely sucks. I hope you can get out of doing it.
I had "borderline" high blood sugar with Chloe on the 1 hour test. While the 3 hour came out normal, it was not a pleasant experience - I react badly to large amounts of sugar, and almost fainted while waiting for the blood draw. I had to lie down on a hospital bench because I was so light-headed.
I think the high levels might have been related to two things - during that pregnancy, for the only time in my life, I craved sweet foods - and Chloe was my biggest baby, at 10lbs, with a huge, round belly that the midwife actually wanted checked out. She was fine, but has a sweet tooth and a big belly to this day (not that she's allowed sweets very often at all!)
maiaminna is offline  
#17 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM
 
avivaelona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Happy Vally MA
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know its such a pain to be the "Bad" patient but honestly I'd just say no. Its not like the 3 hour test is hugely risky but like any test it does have risks and you shouldn't be taking them on for no reason. And "just the way the midwife does it" is not a good reason.

And well, ditto what Katielady said, if she is so eager to label you GD than there are other possible interventions she might spring on you (it could be because of your age...a reason to insist on Non stress tests or something). I'd try to talk directly to the midwife about it and for now just don't do the test. I'd agree to monitoring or eating a modified GD diet before I'd agree to do the three hour test in your situation.
avivaelona is offline  
#18 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
I know its such a pain to be the "Bad" patient but honestly I'd just say no. Its not like the 3 hour test is hugely risky but like any test it does have risks and you shouldn't be taking them on for no reason. And "just the way the midwife does it" is not a good reason.

And well, ditto what Katielady said, if she is so eager to label you GD than there are other possible interventions she might spring on you (it could be because of your age...a reason to insist on Non stress tests or something). I'd try to talk directly to the midwife about it and for now just don't do the test. I'd agree to monitoring or eating a modified GD diet before I'd agree to do the three hour test in your situation.
Thank you. All of you. Where Do I find a modified GD diet?? Google??
Thanks also for the heads up about the other tests she may add. I hadn't thought of that/ I did refuse the scan or whatever it was for DS & other abnormalities. I heard they get a lot of false positives, so I didn't even want to go there since that leads to an amnio. so, yes, good point. One test can lead to many others.
A Mothers Love is offline  
#19 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
 
superflippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was diagnosed with GD last time, so I collected a lot of links on the subject. I think this site has the most comprehensive information, if you want to look for diet info: http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_index.html

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
superflippy is offline  
#20 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 06:33 PM
 
jenniferadurham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All I have to say is:

STUPID DR'S AND NURSES!!!

Holy CRAP! That is bright!
jenniferadurham is offline  
#21 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
A Mothers Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Susanna, thank you. The link is VERY helpful & verifies everything the ladies have said on here today. It appears my MW is test happy. You all were right & like the website says it's overkill
quote from the web-site:

"""An hour after you finish the drink your blood is drawn and the blood glucose (bG) levels checked. The current cutoff for further testing is 140 mg/dl (about 7.8 mmol/l), but many practitioners will order further testing for levels that are in the 130s. A few extremely strict providers will insist on testing even for screening levels in the 120s, but this is probably overkill. """
A Mothers Love is offline  
#22 of 23 Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Katielady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 2,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't stop thinking about this. I'm in kind of an aggressive hormonal mood today which is part of it. I just can't understand why she'd make up this 100 number all on her own. It makes no sense. I am all riled up about it!

Please do report back what she says when you come at her with some facts. I'm dying to know how she can possibly justify this!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Katielady is offline  
#23 of 23 Old 08-09-2008, 03:16 AM
 
Luv2bemommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't read the other replies but YOUR body YOUR choice..

You can refuse that 3 hour test. You could have refused the 1 hour test. It's your right. You can check your blood sugar after meals with a glucose meter, also ask her to run a blood test that can check your levels from the last 60-90 days. My midwife just did that and mine was PERFECT, yet I failed that one hour too.. I'm refusing the 3 hour. I should have refused the one hour but I was trying to please everyone.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Luv2bemommy is offline  
Reply

User Tag List



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off