Postpartum mood boosting plan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-03-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are y'all planning to do to prevent postpartum depression/anxiety? I've had serious postpartum mood issues with both previous babies, and I'm feeling pretty good now, so I don't want to suddenly feel awful again after this baby is born. Here's what I've got planned so far:

- I'll encapsulate the placenta and take it every day.
- I'll take a prenatal vitamin to keep my nutrition status as good as possible while nursing two kids.
- I'll take a fish-oil capsule to keep my omega-3 status good.
- I'll cook with olive oil daily to keep the omega-6s going.
- I'll scrupulously eat some dark chocolate every day.
- I'll take the kids for a walk every day that I can.
- When my lochia is done, I'll go swimming 2-3 days a week.
- Maybe I should plan to drink red wine with dinner for relaxation purposes?
- I'm avoiding all dairy (even trace amounts) so that I don't have to deal with yet another dairy-intolerant, screaming newborn.

Other ideas? What are you ladies planning that I haven't thought of?

Nealy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM

I think you covered it!

I absolutly cannot get along mood-wise without a good Omega supplement, and I'm also cutting out the dairy. I don't think most ppl realize what kind of evil it is, that said, I've got a serious addiction to it, so it will be difficult! I have been cutting back in preparation. I'm pretty much just going to keep up what I've been doing during pg, and add some cardio and pilates after 6 weeks. I haven't been able to exercise due to PTL, but I do believe its the best mood-booster there is.

I think my greatest joy will come from being light-weight and free and wearing pants that zip again though! I remember after ds was born I layed down on my tummy in a sitz bath and seriously CRIED because I could feel my hip bones on the bottom of the tub, oh how I miss my hip bones!

Oh yeah, and being able to DTD. I miss my dh!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 3 Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM

I think a babymoon is helpful too - take it easy for as long as you can - do you have meals in the freezer or anyone to bring you meals in the first few weeks? Does your dh have to return to work immediately? I think having support is so important. Maybe even considering hiring a PPDoula if you feel yourself starting to slide...

On another note, concerning the prenatal vitamin, I have found that high dose vitamins do not sit well with my nursling. According to Cynithia Lair, the author of the Feeding the Whole Family Cookbook and nutrition instructor at Bastyr, high dose vitamins are one of the main culprits of upset tummies in nursing babies. Just to keep in mind if you end up having any issues with that. It was definitely true in my case.

I wish our EDD's weren't so close together or I would love to do your placenta for you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page