Homebirth Roll Call! UC or MW, come one, come all! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 130 Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning a UC here at home.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 130 Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM

My first homebirth here!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#63 of 130 Old 11-19-2008, 04:26 PM

I just looked at that quilt and read her story, and I am just bawling!I really needed to see that!Thanks for sharing.I'm feeling surrounded by homebirths being transfered to c-sections, and it's making me nervous.This is our 5th birth, all have been at home, 2 in the water...why would I be nervous about this?It must just be that I'm very close...Anyway, thanks so much for sharing that link!

:::
#64 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM

KindRedSpirit- I don't know, but I'm really nervous too! I was up last night for a couple of hours just feeling all anxious. I'm not so anxious about the actual birth, but more so about making everything perfect around my house. That was one advantage to birthing DS at the birth center, it was perfect when I got there. Clean, tidy, candles, supplies ready. I'm not nearly that organized and tidy at my own house. I think that is what is bothering me. There are all these things that I feel like I NEED to do and I'm not sure they're going to get done so I'm having a hard time relaxing and going with the flow. I sure hope it doesn't stop me from going into labor! I'm sure that once I do, all the things I NEED to do will be forgotten about and I won't care. Anybody else KWIM?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#65 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
There are all these things that I feel like I NEED to do and I'm not sure they're going to get done so I'm having a hard time relaxing and going with the flow. I sure hope it doesn't stop me from going into labor! I'm sure that once I do, all the things I NEED to do will be forgotten about and I won't care. Anybody else KWIM?
Seriously, go get them done. If you're like me you won't have the babe until they're done.

I do think with the last birth I remember DH cleaning out the bathtub and me mopping the floor a few hours before he was born LOL.

My mom too apparently had the urge, she went into labor with me while she was mopping the kitchen floor! And, yeah, she always tells me to take it easy!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#66 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I so know what you mean! I have that fear..I want everything in order and ready and perfect...like the nesting monster has broken out and I'm Nestzilla!

So much to do...and so little time is how I feel. And w/ the other children here wrecking my house on a daily...no hourly basis it freaks me out. When the MW visits dp and I are like mad people trying to clean up after them so she can come over. We joke that the minute I'm in labor I'm going to be mopping the darn floor and scrubbing the toilets so she and the assistant don't gross out when they are here! (and w/ 4 males using the toilets..they need to be cleaned often

So while I need some more supplies and such for the birth...the house has to be cleaned on top of it! And for those saying not to worry...having a 2, 4, 5, and just turned 7 yr old..it is NOT clean ever...even after I'm done cleaning it. It never ends...don't get me started about laundry!
#67 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
And for those saying not to worry...having a 2, 4, 5, and just turned 7 yr old..it is NOT clean ever...even after I'm done cleaning it. It never ends...don't get me started about laundry!

Well I have a 3, 5 and soon to be 7 y.o. here!

So, I totally get it. The dishes and laundry never stop.

Yesterday my DD knocked over a glass accidentally and it shattered nasty all over the floor. That was not fun cleaning up after because I couldn't get DH to do it (he was at work). And, everything was wet, so I couldn't just sweep it up either. Had to bend way too much and somehow keep all the kids away.

Well, the funny thing is my 5 y.o. was cute the other day. She said she *knew why I liked kids so much....and that I had kids to have someone to help me clean up*.

I don't know if I'd laughed that hard in a week.

I should take out the pictures of what this place looked like before they were around so she gets rid of that theory.

Until you have your own full household you don't know the meaning of 'controlled chaos'...hopefully adding a 4th kiddo is just more of the same.

My DH actually for a long time has said this was the last, but then he has *his moments* where he throws in...*this could be the last* or *if it is the last*....

HA!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#68 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Yeah, we've got 2,5,7 and 9 here,the last thing I need to do on my list is mop the kitchen floor...3 times a day!!!!!Then shampoo the dining carpet-CARPET!!!I'd rather rip it out....Then I get to start everything over again!!!!!I should probably do an extra bathroom scrub too.That could put me into labor just from gagging.....

I'm glad I'm not the only nervous one.I don't remember being nervous before.I felt so assured of a great birth.I'm blaming it on a house that's 2x bigger this time, so there's too much more to do!

cody'smama-Those sound like the fun things to prep.I say, have Dh stay home and clean and you go out and find those candles etc....
I don't think anything has ever been "set" or "perfect" for any of our births,and I always felt plenty pampered and tended to.

:::
#69 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM

Jumping in here, but I feel the same. I have SO MUCH CRAP to deal with in this house before the baby is allowed to come. I have closets to clean out and cleaning to do.

I did just get our handyman on the schedule to replace my master shower 12/8-10, so she has permission to come only AFTER that little project is complete.

And, we've had mice in our house, so I don't think I'll feel safe going into labor until I'm sure they're gone.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#70 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 PM

OH, and I still don't have the stuff for my birth kit. I need to get on that as well! I want to do a belly cast too, and I was waiting till 37ish weeks so my belly will be good and big, but that deadline is creeping up quickly too (35.5 weeks right now!)

#71 of 130 Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this! Thanks for bringing it up, Sara

Yep...lots to do before the babe is allowed to come..that made me laugh AmieV! So funny

Plus now Thanksgiving and a bday party this weekend that I SO don't want to go to...we have to drive almost 2 hours to see family and they told us today when it was...this Sunday : I have too much to do! Plus dp is so slacking and won't help at all to get the place ready and it's really frustrating me. So many things about dp is getting on my nerves Like when I said that I have 5 kids, how can I be expected to do this and that (family issues of attending things ) and he's like, you don't have 5, only 4. GRRRRR! : I said, No! YOU don't have 5, only 4...the minute this child was inside of me I had 5. I feel them move in me and all the wonderful "issues" that comes along w/ it..I have 5 kids!!! And if something happened to this babe, I will always have had 5 kids!

Geez....
#72 of 130 Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 AM

My mom came over today and cleaned all the mold off of my window frames. With bleach, so it was quite stinky, but I didn't have to do it and I took ds out for a while so we weren't breathing in the toxic fumes for too long. That's something that was really bothering me in regards to having a baby here. Now, I don't actually know if I will be having the baby here or not. Maybe, but I am starting to give off some vibes to this little one to please stay in utero until we get down to the Ocean and the MW. Before I was more like, I don't care, UC or with the MW at the Ocean. Now, I kind of want it to be at the Ocean. So, we will see if the power of my psyche can hold off labor until 39+ weeks. I have my birth kit here at home, so whatever happens I do feel prepared. I went into labor so unexpectedly with ds that I don't really have any issues regarding needing the house to be spotless or perfect. It wasn't last time and I don't think I spent one minute during my labor thinking about it. I guess I would like the toilet to be clean, LOL!!!!! I guess part of that too is that if I have a UC here at home it means that labor comes on fast and progresses fast, I'm not really planning on creating a special environment for it....maybe I should? Hmmmm......

I only have one child and I cannot keep the house clean. I don't know how you other mamas do it!!!!
#73 of 130 Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 AM

Yeah, I definitely can't keep my house clean. My little sister unexpectedly came over today and I had a half an hour to bust out and clean and I must say, it's pretty clean now! So I figure that when I go into labor, I'll just bust out and clean real quick and it should be good enough to make me feel better.

The things I was talking about needing to do are more like, make curtains for the living room, do ALL the Christmas shopping, organize every last bit of my house, make 20 meals for after the birth, you know...totally unrealistic stuff to get done. I need to stop and just relax and realize that there WILL be life after a baby.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#74 of 130 Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM

love this thread! i'm relieved to see i'm not the only one who's neurotic about the house lately. i've forbidden playdates here lately so i don't have more kids around to mess it up

(anyway, it's clean today, so baby can come today if it likes )
#75 of 130 Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
The things I was talking about needing to do are more like, make curtains for the living room, do ALL the Christmas shopping, organize every last bit of my house, make 20 meals for after the birth, you know...totally unrealistic stuff to get done. I need to stop and just relax and realize that there WILL be life after a baby.
Oh yeah, THOSE things. I am trying to push all of THOSE things our of my mind completely. Like, finish painting the woodwork that is covered in primer, like stop eating all the freezer meals I already made, like actually unpacking boxes from our move in June...oh yeah, THOSE things...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
#76 of 130 Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mamasong, we have boxes to unpack from our move in Juen too! Yep...THOSE things ain't gonna happen here! (we just use the excuse that we're moving in May...so "forget about it")
#77 of 130 Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Aha....so, I'm not the only one nesting! We just had our garage door opener replaced (no more problems I hope PHEW) and I just installed a new door in the kitchen. I'm actually getting the baby stuff out of the attic tonight (or rather DH is doing it and I'm helping hold the ladder steady. This weekend I'm fixing a piece of furniture (our ottoman) and doing some decluttering for donation.

He wants to do the tree too (the Christmas stuff is in front of the baby clothes). What I don't get is why he put the baby stuff far back, behind the Christmas and the maternity right up front...

BUT, worked out I guess since we wound up having a Christmas due baby!

Well, went in for a mw appointment today. Very relaxed, we were all just chatting and talked about baby's position. She got the same fundal height I did...no real surprises. I told her it's nice to have boring prenatals. I don't want any drama if I can help it my last 5 weeks...I had too much last time (my mw was in a car accident and all sorts of stuff EEK)!

DH took the day off and after my appointment we shuffled off to the mall....some items I just bought for DD went on sale, and of course I got the price adjusted. It was enough of a difference that we also used a coupon and had a nice lunch with the money back! Then, while I was there we stopped at the Sanrio store and DH spyed a Hello Kitty dollhouse. It was so expensive! Hello Kitty is NOT cheap. But, luckily we had a coupon , so DH said to get it for her He said that she would be absolutely SHOCKED and SURPRISED happy for her birthday!

#78 of 130 Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Oh the nesting! Seems like many of us are going through that ...

I have tons of laundry to catch up on because I've had pubic symphsis pain and have had such trouble getting up and down to the basement where the washer and dryer is.

I went to the chiro last night and had the webster technique which helped a lot, so i was up at 3:30am doing laundry. I've got so much to catch up on with 8 people living here (dh, me, five kids and dh's father) ...

I just crocheted or chain-stitched some wool yarn into umbilical cord ties ... it was minor but I could do it from the comfort of my bed. LOL!

I have to clean my van out cause it's such a huge mess ... and then go take it in for inspection by the end of the month.

At least I got my birth 'pool' (stock tank) and birth supplies so at least I feel like I 'could' give birth if the baby came early ... not that any of my babies ever have before.

Three more weeks ... woohoo!!!:
#79 of 130 Old 11-22-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Okay...I still need things on my list! I live in an area that has limited natty food stores and I went to Whole foods (which I can't stand, btw....) b/c that's all we have and their bulk section here is just silly. I need loose herbs and they had none...so I suppose I need to go online now and their capsules section didn't have much..so now I need to buy those online now..and i feel such a panic for time as I'm 37 weeks next week!!

Okay...breathing....
I will try one place today, a co-op store, but they just opened so not sure if they'll have it...the next nearest co-op is over an hour away and I can't drag the whole family there for just herbs...

So I need:

* comfrey and chamomile loose about a cup or more of each is what the MW told me.

* chux pads x 20 (thought CVS would have them, they don't)

* peri bottle (again....CVS was suggested, they don't have it)

* fitted "plastic" sheet. Can this be like the big ones sold at Target, etc that prevent leaks? The kind you want if you co sleep to prevent milk and pee from getting on the bed?

I bought the witch hazel, large bottle of liquid. Sound right for those who use it? I don't want to do sposies but think I might have to...I always leak stuff bad and I would like to try a depends for the first day or 2 but don't want 16 of them, kwim? I have mama pads coming soon from a friend who is mailing them.

I still don't have the birth pool either! I think i'm getting one like this. But now i'm worried b/c I read that the big one is too big for keeping warm. And it's about 30 degrees here for the high today. But I'm not small by any means and don't think I'd fit comfortably in that little one on that page...plus we want to use it in summer for the kids Gotta get my money's worth! So if I order things (like chux and peri bottles) is there anything else you all think I need to have on hand? Odds are I won't find it at a store here so if you think I should order it and need it for the HB, let me know, mamas. I really feel overwhelmed and so lost...this is my 1st HB and I am so not prepared.

I have so much to do and dp won't help. It's really dragging my spirits down I'm so sick of feeling alone in this process.
#80 of 130 Old 11-22-2008, 02:31 PM

I think you can get almost everything you need online from http://inhishands.com/

I don't know how much money it would cost, but they sent a catalog with our birth kit, and I briefly glanced through it. Our "kit" has everything we need, no brain power needed.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#81 of 130 Old 11-22-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no! Janis...it says they are closed and orders won't be shipped till Dec.1st! That makes me panic...it seems too late to have them ordered then, doesn' it? I'm due on the 16th, but we suspect i'm a week ahead b/c I don't know my LMP and the sono and measuring since I have seen the mw are all exactly one week ahead! Ugh...panic setting in....now.

Oh..any of you have a "recipe" for a juice recharge? She mentioned water or RRL tea w/ honey, lemon juice, and salt? To be prepared in 1qrt bottles to drink in and after labor to prevent shakes, etc?

What kind of light food are you all having on hand for during labor? And I think she said Miso soup and broth...anyone use any of these before?
#82 of 130 Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 PM

I think that due to Thanksgiving, it will be hard to find anything to ship sooner - that's really only 7 days away. If you order this week, they'd ship it on Monday morning, and you'd have it bey Wed. Or, maybe you could email InHisHands and see if they can make a special shipment for you this monday?? You never know unless you ask!

Comfrey is actually a controlled substance, which is probably why you're having trouble finding it. Maybe someone on this board would share with you? (I've got mine, but I'd have to check with my MW to see if she'd mind getting more to me, and I'm not seeing her til Monday.)

Juice & tea: anything would do, but I don't like juice *or* tea, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm planning to drink emergen-C mainly. Also teaching my DH to make me berry smoothies. Not sure how enthusiastic I'll be about frozen drinks, but I don't like much else!

Another tip was to brew your RRL tea and freeze it for ice chips to suck on during labor. Brew it super-strong, they say. I guess you would then crush it up to make chips?

Protein shakes: I just started drinking Arbonne chocolate powder. mmmm, it's chocolate-y.

Miso soup & broth are favorites of mine - easy to do, but my labors were never conducive to eating soup, even though it's my favorite food of all-time. I think I had a pb sandwich after Molly was born. Scrambled & hard boiled eggs will be on my list.

One really great tip: make sure your DH and/or anyone else who will be attending knows exactly HOW you like whatever food/drink you will want. They should practice making them in advance, so they are just right when you want them. Nobody wants to be around a hungry & b***y laboring mom.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#83 of 130 Old 11-22-2008, 03:24 PM

Lemon Juice,

I just picked up my birth kit from the MW last week. Don't panic - you could have your baby without any of this stuff and everything would be fine. Think of all the babies that are born in the back seat of cars on the way to the hospital, lol!!!

In regards to a plastic sheet - you are just trying to protect your matress if you give birth on the bed, so any waterproof protection should be fine. Many women buy a big shower curtain and drape it over the matress.

Going off of memory of what is in my kit: emergen-c packets, miso soup broth packet, bendy straws, sitz bath, pregnancy tea, lactation tea, a package of depends, a few regular pads to freeze, towels, washcloths, garbage bags for soiled linens, chux pads, a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide to get blood stains out, peri bottle, sterile gloves...that's all I can remember right now...

You can order herbs MANY places on-line. There is a link on the main MDC page to that Mountain Herb place, isn't there? And there is another birth supply place to order from in Oregon somewhere. I'll look for the link later if you can't find it.

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the link into the site with all the home remedies on the "sick" thread. What a treasure of information!!!
#84 of 130 Old 11-23-2008, 02:00 AM

* I just got a cheap vinyl shower curtain for the mattress. Like someone else said, it's just to protect your bed/floor in case of a land birth. I wouldn't get something as nice as an actual waterproof mattress cover. I do know inhishands has a "mattress bag" that is a plastic cover that fits over the whole mattress. However mine stayed in the package as I had a waterbirth last time so I don't know how great it was!

I've had comfrey on hand after both my previous births and never used it, so don't panic, you can have a baby without it! It's just for healing the perineum afterward. What I have always liked is raw honey on my pads, it helps the tissues knit together and I think is mildly antibacterial. I also make up some frozen pads with a bit of witch hazel, aloe gel (the liquid kind, that you can drink) and a few drops of lavender EO (these are all things you can find at the dreaded Whole Foods!) and those are nice the first couple of days. Also, I'm not sure when they're shipping with Tgiving coming up but this company was featured in Mothering:http://www.lusaorganics.com/ProductD...ctCode=ppherbs

Those are post partum herbs and it includes comfrey. I'm considering getting them because they got good reviews and they're prebagged so no fiddling and straining required!

You could also get chamomile tea bags in a pinch. It's not exactly the same, but it'll work.

Hope these suggestions help quell your anxiety a bit! Peri bottles are annoying to find. If you can't find a real one, just get any pint size squirt bottle you can from Target or whatever big box drugstore you have.

The underpads I found at Walgreens. They also have them at drugstore.com. I actually really disliked the ones from inhishands FWIW.

Google Cascade Healthcare supplies too, I think. They are another homebirth supplier, and they might be shipping next week and would have everything.

Don't feel bad, the hang ups on my list are the peri bottle (though I think my friend is going to nab one from the hospital for me), nasal aspirator (I can't find a plain one! They're all goofy. Although I have 2 from my other kids, I guess I could just sterilize one of those??) and I keep forgetting to pick up a bottle of olive oil.

I did buy diapers last week, so at least those are in the house!

#85 of 130 Old 11-23-2008, 02:04 AM

I found this in one of my doula handouts:

Labor-Aide
courtesy of Elizabeth Davis, Heart and Hands

1 quart fluid (water)

1/3 cup honey

1/3 cup lemon juice

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon baking soda

2 crushed calcium tablets

these are the exact instructions for the peri pads I like

Soothing Peri Pads for after birth
Here's what you'll need:

-8 - 24 overnight maxi pads

-witch hazel

-lavender oil

-aloe vera gel (this is an edible liquid, not a topical ointment. Lily of the Desert is the most popular brand. You can find it in any health food store)

-tin foil

Unwrap each pad, and pour a little witch hazel, a little aloe vera gel and 3-4 drops of lavender on each pad. You want the pad damp, but not soaked. Wrap each pad in tin foil and stick them in the freezer. Witch hazel and lavender are natural astringents, so they'll help reduce swelling, and the aloe and the cold are very soothing. Use them as needed, sometimes the cold and astringent are too intense so alternate with plain pads as needed.

#86 of 130 Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM

about the freezer pads ... i have heard of women doing this and using herbal sitz bath to use as the liquid too ... seems like a smart idea!
one thing i read was to freeze it over a bowl *upside down * so that it is curved rather than flat when frozen. I haven't tried it but may give it a whirl this time. I do have one postpartum pad that you 'break' the inner liquid thing and it gets real cold ... I figured I could put that in my mesh panties immediately after birth and use the other ones if I make them, for the rest of the day...

I didn't tear or really feel sore with my last two homebirths but ya can never be too prepared huh?
#87 of 130 Old 11-23-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice mamas I was a wreck yesterday and slept a lot to help calm down. I did get some stuff knocked out on the list and that helped..but there are those few things I need online that seem to be out of my reach. *sigh*

My MW said she needs the comfrey for the pp compress she makes w/ the paper towels for me to freeze. So I guess she'll be making them for me and I can freeze them for later and use them then.

Mama perk, I like that idea about freezing them in the bowl...I bet it'd feel great afterwards if you need 'em! At the hospital they give you the pads you break that are cool...they really are nice! I think you'll enjoy that for right after. But like you said not all births need them, but the ones I did felt great!

So I think I'll look on my local tribe for places to shop for chux and peri bottles, sheets, etc. I have seen info on there before and it's worth a try.
#88 of 130 Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Another PP thing I did was take a FULL dose of Arnica for the first two or so days after the birth. I think I took it until I finished one of the small blue pellet bottles, like 5 pellets every few hours. I could really tell that it helped my general feeling of physical well being. I will definitely have that on hand again.
#89 of 130 Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM

Hello Ladies!
I keep meaning to post here, but something always ends up happening when I am about to.

We're planning our third MW attended home birth. My last one was a water birth that I loved, so I think we're going to try to do that again.
I'm 37w 2d, so technically it could be any time now :

I feel like my house is not ready enough, there are several things (including my bedroom!) that need to be cleaned and/or organized.
I do have my birth kit together, but I need to bug DH about getting the hose/adapter in the house, and the air compressor from his brother. We really should do a dry (wet?) run with the tub, since it's been folded up in the shed since DS2's birth.
He said he cleaned it really well, and I hope he's right! Also hoping there are no leaks.
#90 of 130 Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I found a few mamas in my local tribe who have an unused peri bottle and some chux! :

So happy! That really is helpful. And MIL told me that when she took care of her father she used 2 tablecloths (the soft backed plastic kind) taped together for plastic sheets. So I think we'll do waterproof cover, not the fancy expensive kind, just the waterproof basic washable ones and then put the "nice" sheets on that, then the fitted sheet, the plastic sheet we make, the "not so nice" sheet on that w/ chux. That's what MW said...and I think that'll do!

So the birth pool is being ordered now after I write this post at a semi local place (in new england anyway)so it should get here quicker than other places. And it seems we'll have to order herbs online.

Just getting the grinder from Target and the capsule machine and I'm DONE! whew....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page