Homebirth Roll Call! UC or MW, come one, come all! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've kind of given up on having the "perfect" birthing space. Every time I clean the house, make sure the crockpot is clean (midwife wants to use for washcloths), or whatever, baby doesn't come! So now I'm taking the approach that baby will come amidst chaos. So I'll just let me house become a disaster and then maybe that will give me something to do in early labor. Because I'm just so tired of trying to keep it tidy. I just don't care anymore!

I am trying to make lots of yummy food and that is something I feel like doing. Last night I made homemade pizza and almond roca bars Then I had some for breakfast today :

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
I've kind of given up on having the "perfect" birthing space. Every time I clean the house, make sure the crockpot is clean (midwife wants to use for washcloths), or whatever, baby doesn't come! So now I'm taking the approach that baby will come amidst chaos. So I'll just let me house become a disaster and then maybe that will give me something to do in early labor. Because I'm just so tired of trying to keep it tidy. I just don't care anymore!

I am trying to make lots of yummy food and that is something I feel like doing. Last night I made homemade pizza and almond roca bars Then I had some for breakfast today :
Same here . Trying to keep things clean at least though, even if it's not tidy.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM

HI, i'm new to the site and having a homebirth. I live in an apartment building which I am a bit nervous about (noise wise). I am also renting a tub. Well, it came the other day. I had to get a midwife from another state because in my state (R.I.) R.I. licensed mw's can't do homebirths. My midwife is pretty sure the insurance thing will go through but she won't know for a few weeks. Also it takes a while to get the money back anyway. We had to pay $3300 all together plus the cost of some of the birthing supplies which were not much. I wish all the homebirth mommies a great experience. I am very excited and can't wait to meet my little one.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
I also want to set up my birthing space. I just can't w/ these wild ones around tho....But I have organized a lot and things are coming together more each day. I have to have dp hang the Happy Hammock tho and just got a rocker/glider : so i do need organize our room more.

I think the main thing is stocking up w/ food. It's so expensive here and I have to wait until Friday to buy all the stuff I want to have...so we'll see. I need more RRL tea, honey, lemons, veggies, snacks, and smoothie stuff.

It is super difficult to get things done around here with all the other kids to take care of. I'm really looking forward to when my mom is here so I can get some real stuff done for a change. Sigh.

Apparently for liability purposes our health food store does not sell comfrey. So, I'm hoping I can see if the mws will let me scoop up a couple of maxipads from the birth center freezer to use in the homebirth.

eta: I've been reading more on comfrey and wondering if I should even bother doing it...there are a lot of warnings on using it on injured or broken skin. And, from what I'm reading it's not safe even topically for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Sigh. Maybe just some frozen maxipads w/o the comfrey would feel good?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
eta: I've been reading more on comfrey and wondering if I should even bother doing it...there are a lot of warnings on using it on injured or broken skin. And, from what I'm reading it's not safe even topically for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Sigh. Maybe just some frozen maxipads w/o the comfrey would feel good?
Well, having used it before, I can vouch for its helpfulness. It is, of course, an herbal remedy, and you'll find all kinds of pros & cons, just like with all *untested* herbs. There isn't any type of regulation on these things. You do *not* want to ingest comfrey, but there are plenty of homeopathic resources that swear by it as a topical healing agent - combined with my personal healing experiences, I'm ok with it.

I think that it's also in the herbal bath that I took for several days post partum, so I can't swear that it was the frozen compresses that worked, or the bath - but I didn't have stitches, and I sure felt much better much faster than I did after my first birth (stitches for tear). DD1 was 7#1, DD2 was 8#13.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileymyles1026 View Post
HI, i'm new to the site and having a homebirth. I live in an apartment building which I am a bit nervous about (noise wise). I am also renting a tub. Well, it came the other day. I had to get a midwife from another state because in my state (R.I.) R.I. licensed mw's can't do homebirths. My midwife is pretty sure the insurance thing will go through but she won't know for a few weeks. Also it takes a while to get the money back anyway. We had to pay $3300 all together plus the cost of some of the birthing supplies which were not much. I wish all the homebirth mommies a great experience. I am very excited and can't wait to meet my little one.
Welcome mama! (i know i already said that but hey...welcome again! )

You are in RI? I am too! It was a huge challenge for HB here but there is ONE mw in this state that is certified to do HB's. I am using her and she is awesome! Lots of mamas in the local tribe use her (as well as the other mw's from Mass) but she takes our insurance and we'll get it all back. I'd love to talk to you more. I saw that you are due on the 15th, I am due on the 16th We also have pretty good size playgroup that meets in/around Prov twice a week. Some awesome mamas, if I do say so myself! A friend of mine here is due in January and is on MDC all the time too. You should hop over to the local tribe and check it out

I hope to see you around the ddc and good luck w/ your upcoming homebirth!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
It is super difficult to get things done around here with all the other kids to take care of. I'm really looking forward to when my mom is here so I can get some real stuff done for a change. Sigh.

Apparently for liability purposes our health food store does not sell comfrey. So, I'm hoping I can see if the mws will let me scoop up a couple of maxipads from the birth center freezer to use in the homebirth.

I found comfrey at an herbal store. I read that it is harder to find it b/c of the ingestion issues, etc. But a small local herb store might carry it. Mine had roots and leaves. I have yet to use it but my mw really wants me to have some and swears by it. It was really inexpensive and she also had me buy chamomile for the compress as well. I have heard awesome things about comfrey and look forward to using it. Good luck finding it.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I found comfrey at an herbal store. I read that it is harder to find it b/c of the ingestion issues, etc. But a small local herb store might carry it. Mine had roots and leaves. I have yet to use it but my mw really wants me to have some and swears by it. It was really inexpensive and she also had me buy chamomile for the compress as well. I have heard awesome things about comfrey and look forward to using it. Good luck finding it.
Well, I used it once with #2....they brought me a frozen maxipad after I'd showered. Honestly, I don't know if it was the fact it was frozen, I didn't have any tears or the comfrey but the frozen part still felt so good and I was numb a bit then.

With #3 it was weird, he came out posterior and it was more like butt pain than crotch pain. Still no tears though. The person who brought the frozen pad wasn't at the birth.

With #1 I had a few stitches for a first degree tear. And I did hate the stitch tugging sensation.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ita..the frozen stuff feels good! I tore w/ my first like you did...it was so painful for me and I didn't have anything like this to put on...not even frozen pads! Wish I knew then what I know now...
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Ita..the frozen stuff feels good! I tore w/ my first like you did...it was so painful for me and I didn't have anything like this to put on...not even frozen pads! Wish I knew then what I know now...
Yeah, it always works like that! I vaguely remember having three stitches...and what was annoying was that it tugged sometimes when I moved a certain way.

My perineum was the least of my concerns the first time. I remember the first moment of panic I had when my doula left (uh, here I am with a baby)...and she just looked at me and said "trust your instincts"....boy was she right! Motherhood goes so smoothly when you trust your instincts!

User Tag List