Homebirth Roll Call! UC or MW, come one, come all! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: : :

So who is doing a HB? This is our 5th baby and our 1st homebirth. I want a HB very bad and I feel I'm hitting some hard walls w/ it all tho.

We were planning UC for a long time b/c of lack of funds ($3300 to the MW in neighbor states to attend and not under our insurance). But we found the one and only MW (CNM) in our state who accepts our insurance and we started seeing her last month.

This month she mentions that in 2 weeks we need to pay. SO...we have to pay in full by the time we birth. Nothing was mentioned about payments, even last month, which would have given us more time to come up w/ the $$. We will get it all back, eventually, or at least 80 percent, but we just don't have that much money now and especially w/ the holidays coming and 4 kids. :

So we may end up UC again. It scares me tho b/c while I was down w/ this, dp was not. So I was worried and it was just easier w/ a mw and having support like that, kwim? Not sure what's going to happen w/ it all. Dp will talk to her and see if they can/can't work something out. I won't be having a hospital birth so it's this or that.

But...I'd love to see who here is having a HB, mw or UC. Get some support from one another and what not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM

I'm planning a homebirth with a MW, a doula, DH & my mom in attendance. We are renting a birthtub. My insurance covers the MW charges, thankfully! The tub, the doula and the assorted supplies we need to have on hand are not covered by the insurance but that's a pretty minor cost compared to 9 months of prenatal care and delivery by the midwife.

Its my first baby so I am a little nervous but all in all I know I will be SOOO much more comfortable in my own home than I ever would be at the hospital or even the birth center in town.
#3 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Me too me too! We're in a similar situation too, can't afford the midwives They've even approached us with an alternative arrangement and I don't think we can even swing that right now. My daycare is down 2.5 kids which is a serious bite into our income unfortunately. So I've been doing lots of research on UC, it was actually Dh who brought up the idea, I'm kinda shocked! I just wish I could still have a midwife back up though. Someone I could call if I had questions, or if we needed help...

The only way I'm setting foot in the hospital is if something is *wrong*!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#4 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM

hb - it will be our 2nd hb ... first was in a hospital, not horrible, but not wonderful

same mw will attend. She brings an assistant. I will probably call her much later than last time, but my labors were short before, so it's hard to say "when". Childbirth classes start next Monday!! yikes!!

birth in our bathtub - but it's not a completely submerged water birth. I love our mw - she's very active in the community and has been practicing forEVER. Kids will be present. Trying to figure out how to get someone else to be here for their needs, though. There are no relatives I trust - nor close friends nearby. We're on our own.

LemonJuice - our mw doesn't expect payment til after the baby is born - but maybe that's because she takes insurance?

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#5 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Frutie, you don't have to pay any of the amount up front? I thought my mw was like this..but she wants it up front and it's up to us to haggle the insurance company and fight to get our money back.

Starmama I know how you feel I hope your UC goes well. I think we may end up doing this too. I wonder if it's a scary as I think it is...or just the opposite?

jrabbit, she does take our insurance. She's the only one in our state and actually did. I was so happy! But at the 1st appt. last month I didn't know about paying b/c she only wanted my insurance card and DL. Before seeing her we made sure she took it and she was all cool about it, failing to mention that we must pay and then try to get the money back. I like how your midwife doesn't request it until after. We'd be all set b/c dp gets a huge bonus after the holidays and it would cover it if she did that. But I don't even know how much we can afford to pay in 2 weeks! :

So...for those renting tubs, how much do they usually run? How do you drain them? Oh we are having kids present if they are awake. I have a feeling she'll arrive at night when they are fast asleep tho
#6 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 PM

First homebirth here - 2nd birth (though 9 1/2 years later). We're all very excited, esp my 9 year old daughter who is the little expert on midwifery and homebirth. I swear she knows more about birth than most pregnant women. Planning a waterbirth.

We love our midwife. The expense is very frustrating and stressful partially b/c we're in NYC. So my insurance covers a good amount ($5K) but we're still responsible for $2,000 out of pocket, which I still haven't quite absorbed yet. I'm comforting myself with the fact that we'll be able to claim the baby as a tax deduction and hopefully the refund will help offset the cost. But it still annoys me that I paid literally nothing for my hospital birth, but will have to pay for my less expensive homebirth.
#7 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Major hugs to those of you who have to deal with insurance and midwives! We're also planning a homebirth/UC of sorts, but are lucky to be in Canada. Midwives in many provinces are covered under provincial health care plans, and you certainly don't have to worry about anything other than getting a space with a particular midwife! I hope everything works out for you guys. I know our children are worth any money we may have to shell out for their arrivals, but it would be nice not to stress about it, hey?

jrabbit - have you done the bath tub thing before? How did it go? Ours is long enough, but not deep enough for a true water birth. I'm still tempted though - just unsure of how it will work.

For greater things are yet to come...

#8 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 05:03 PM

this will be my 3rd all-natural, unmedicated birth, but my first homebirth!!!

i'm very excited, but find it a little stressful, too, as my midwife practice is very strict (in terms of my remaining low-risk, that is). i have 9 days to go until 37 weeks, when i'm officially "cleared" for HB. :

(and UC is always a possibility, too, as my previous labor was so quick -- under 1.5 hours -- that we barely made it to the birth center)
#9 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

bronxmom, wow! that is pricey! But NYC...so yeah. Ds and dp are off to NYC tomorrow for a quick business trip. I wish I could come too! But I sooo hear ya, my hospital birth and OB that would have cost SO much more would have been covered, no problems at all. My very inexpensive HB is taking a lot more out of my pocket! If we get it all back (and can even come up w/ it) we still have to pay $400 for her assistant, the pool, birth kit, sonos, and any other blood work, etc. This is what makes it harder to accept in dp's eyes. Ugh. So much drama...

Thanks, selkat Less stress would be great. Just goes to show how mixed up about HB our country is still...we've come a long way w/ it..but have a long way to go still.

chic2chic...: : Sending some vibes that the babe will stay and play in there for another 9 days! I have about 3 weeks to go and today woke up to some nasty contractions! All day off and on..nothing major..just annoying and sporadic, really.
#10 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM

I'm having a hb, my MW and assistant are wonderful. The only reason I can afford it is that her fee is low enough that OHP covers it 100%, if it weren't for that I think I'd be having a UC with my mother (she has some MW training) as support. I don't have to pay anything up front, only have to have an 'open card' so she can file the claim. I think things are much different for her with different income families. She only does 12-13 births per year (though she assists with more), and is cheaper by about 1,000 than the MWs who do 3-4 per month, so I don't think she relies too much on births for income.

I have a pool and plan to set it up for use in labor, we'll see if I want to have the baby in it or not.
#11 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 PM

I am having my first homebirth and first natural birth as well. My first child ended up being a c-section (obviously had medication) and my second child was a hospital vbac with epidural at 8cm.

We have to pay $2600 up front and then submit a bill to insurance afterwards. The insurance reimbursement check will then usually come to us as the MW is considered "out of network". Judging from out out of network deductible, I may get about about $1300 of the total price. I'm actually still paying the hospital for our son's birth two years ago. Just two more payments and he's all ours!

To rent the Aqua Doula tub from the MW will be another $175 that may be covered by insurance. I am not sure yet if it is available or if I even want to rent it, but I do have a fishy pool just in case it's not.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#12 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 PM

This will be our fifth homebirth, all with the same mw,differing attendants.We can't afford her either, but she will accept payment after the birth, and she's only $1800!Yay!We have always paid her with our tax return $.Her tub is $300 to rent though, so we're buying a swim pool from her for $25.Jackpot!She is a 2 hr drive, but I'm fine with UC and having her come for post partum.
We'll also have our 4 other kids and dh and my placenta prep friend and her 2 girls,and likely 2 or 3 of my sisters and my parents.Or....just the folks in the house, ya never know with an hour drive for the closest folks.And our labor have been from 2 1/2 hrs to 13 hrs, so, again, who knows?

:::
#13 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM

This birth will be attended by a MW, but it will be a "game time" decision as to whether it happens at home or in the hospital.
#14 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Wow. Sorry again about your midwife situation Lemon Juice. It really stinks that she didn't say anything to you until the 11th hour. I'd be pretty ticked off right about now. I hope that she can work with you about this and possibly give you an extension on payment. It's not like you're going to skip town or anything after the birth.

I'm having a homebirth with our midwife/ND. I'll have my primary midwife, a second midwife, their apprentice, my chiropractor doing adjustments, DH, my mother and father. I think that's more than enough support and people in my space and I trust them all so I'm pretty happy and excited about it. This is my first baby and of course first birth. We'll be getting a fishy pool from the midwife and the birth kit. I think that she has another list of birthing supplies or things that we'll need like extra towels or whatever. We can all talk about it later.

Have any of you had your home visit or couple's visit? Also have any of you written your birth preferences yet? I still have yet to write it because I feel like it's so overwhelming to do so. Ideas????

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#15 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM

This will be my second birth. My dd had an unmedicated hospital birth with midwives. This time we are planning a homebirth with a different midwife practice (previous midwives won't do a homebirth where we live), DH, DD & my mom in attendance. We are going to have a birthpool. Where we live MW are covered by provincial health insurance, however, I have to cover the cost of all the supplies and the pool.

I know from last time that what I need is privacy and intimacy. I'm looking forward to being able to crawl into my own bed with the babe after birth.
#16 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 07:17 PM

We're planning a midwife-attended but hands-off homebirth. DH actually wants a UC, but I'd rather have a midwife there. DH-"Why are we paying her to do nothing?" Me-"We're paying her so if there's an emergency she can handle it." We were able to arrange to have DH do some work for the midwife's husband and work off part of the fee. I'm sure she would let us do payments if necessary but it'll all come out of savings one way or another so it doesn't matter if we pay it all before the birth.
#17 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
Frutie, you don't have to pay any of the amount up front? I thought my mw was like this..but she wants it up front and it's up to us to haggle the insurance company and fight to get our money back.
Right - we haven't paid anything. We started with monthly appts, then about a month ago started having checkups every two weeks, and I think next week or so we start going in weekly, and we haven't paid a dime. (Well, except to the lab that processes the bloodwork, etc.) I was pretty surprised actually, I can't imagine running a business where you provided services for 9-10 months before billing for them! But she has a well-enough established practice that I guess she gets a steady income even so. She explained that since the care for each woman/birth is different, it works better to tally it all up at the end and send the whole bill off to the insurance after it's all done. And she said she's never had any trouble getting paid by our particular insurance company, so fingers crossed on that!

Quote:
So...for those renting tubs, how much do they usually run? How do you drain them? Oh we are having kids present if they are awake. I have a feeling she'll arrive at night when they are fast asleep tho
The tub rental in this area is $200. Our MW doesn't rent them, but there are two others who do and they both charge the same amount. It's the Aqua-Doula model, with heaters built in. I've already made the reservation and put down a deposit, we'll pick it up the weekend before Thanksgiving so we will have it on hand in plenty of time before we expect the baby.
#18 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
jrabbit - have you done the bath tub thing before? How did it go? Ours is long enough, but not deep enough for a true water birth. I'm still tempted though - just unsure of how it will work.
first birth was in hospital with mw, and I was "allowed" to rest in their tub. I loved it. When we remodeled our house 3 years later, we designed our bathroom for home birth We put in a "normal" sized tub with whirlpool jets, but after the last birth, I realized we should have installed it in reverse! oops. www.pigvig.net/photos.html (boob shot)

I was very happy with the bathtub. When Molly was crowning, we had drained some of the water, which is different than a "water birth" - the water was just there for comfort. I think our mw does full water births, but I'm not actually positive. Molly's hand was by her face, and mw was worried, so she didn't want to leave her underwater for too long.

--
Regarding payment: our mw has billed us, but she doesn't expect payment yet. I suppose I could be in a little denial about it, but I'm leaving all that up to DH. She has a person who works for her who battles the insurance companies - that's all I know. We did pay for the ultrasounds - but that's because they are through a separate doctor/office.

I went to my primary women's care mw for my first prenatal appt (long story), and they billed us for the entire pregnancy cost ... needless to say, we didn't pay them.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#19 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM

Hey fellow HBers! I had a great HB with a MW with my first ds. Our MW was very hands off - I remember her speaking about 5 words to me the entire time, lol - and I had a doula and my dh. Now, for second baby things are not quite so cut and dry. My MW (who of course I had to have again!)and I now live 3.5 hours away from each other, so the plan is to go to her town the day before I turn 39 weeks and we are going to stay at her daughter's house (who is also a friend of mine) until the baby comes. If I go into labor before we get there then we will either book it down there as fast as we can or I will just opt to stay home and UC. I'm okay with either scenario playing out, so I plan on just deciding in the moment. I am really excited about giving birth again. A little scared, but mostly excited. Its weird though having so many "unknowns." I do hope we make it down to her town for the birth. My ideal would be to get there, get settled for a few days, and then have the baby. She lives right by the ocean, so I am looking forward to stormy windy walks on the beach and the power of the ocean to empower me. It gives me good shivers just thinking about it...
#20 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

wild fire child, I'm so glad Seven will be around to help out. I wish she were near me to help It seems that the areas that have more HB's seem to have mw's who are more laxed in payment and much more affordable than here. It's just so opposite here and I can't wait to get back to where things like this are the norm.

There are quite a few of us! That's great A mama I know was switching her insurance plan to use the same mw and didn't know about her policy to pay upfront...so not sure of why she didn't mention this to either of us but, hopefully we can work something out. I know that mama just can't afford it and had to give up her dream of a HB And I was the one who informed her of this...so I wish our mw was upfront about it before we saw her...and not after 3 appts. *sigh* I just hope we can work out something w/ her. I really, really do. :

caedmyn, that is how we are! But dp wants the mw, I figure she might not even make the birth anyway (she's about an hour away) as I birth fast and furious

kJad29, thanks We have not had a home visit. Now what in the heck does that even mean? : But the past 2visits the mw has come to me b/c she works north of us and makes my appt. after and catches me on her way home.

mamasong...the ocean storms sound wonderful! I will miss seeing those this year. I do believe you will get some great strength from that and have an amazing birth :
#21 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM

I'm so excited about my mom coming, too, she'll be here tomorrow!

All of my prenatals have been at my house, but we're doing the 'official' home visit on Sunday (she likes to do it between 36-37 weeks, I'll be 36w2d), which is when we gather together everyone who may be at the birth and talk about expectations and plans and not being offended by anything I might do or say lol. It's important for my situation because I live with my ILs and MIL is a very overly caring person.
#22 of 130 Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM

First homebirth here :

DD1 was in a hospital (midwifery was illegal at that time in that state), dd2 was in a birth center, both unmedicated, and used a tub for labor but not birth with each. This time I only have my lame shallow tub, so not sure how much I'll be in water, since our shower won't produce hot water for hours on end

This birth we're seeing a new midwife as our midwives with our 2nd dd are cnms and not allowed to do homebirths here. I've contemplated a doula, but honestly, think I want as few people here as possible. Last time I waited until things were pretty far along until we headed for the birth center- I was 8 cm when they checked me. So, it will be my mw, a back-up mw that I've met once, my dh, and maybe my mom... my dds may or not be here. I need to see how things go- I might send them to a friend's to play if I'm laboring during the day.

I am extremely grateful that mws are covered by our insurance. Our mw has been awesome too, she's sending in to the insurance co for her services, but not charging us for our portion until after the birth.

It is highly frustrating that finances are getting in the way of the births you want, that just ain't right. Good vibes for a happy solution to present itself- :
#23 of 130 Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM

This will be my 2nd homebirth, 3rd child. First was unmedicated in the hospital. Second was a home waterbirth. This time we are planning another home waterbirth. We now live 3 1/2 hours away and are planning on going back around 37 wks to stay until at least the 1 wk postpartum visit. Just hoping that labor waits until I'm there or at least on my way. My longest labor was 4 1/2 hrs long.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#24 of 130 Old 11-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Fourth baby, fourth hb here.

Gotta run to the bathroom.....LOL...

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#25 of 130 Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We're HBing again, too. This is our 4th birth, 3rd home water birth (first babe was born in hospital, NEVER doing that again). We've used the same MW/ birth assistant team for each of them, we lurve our team

We;re excited for this HB as it's in our *own* house that we just bought in March!!:: Our first HB was at my mom's where we were living at the time, the 2nd was in the apartment we were renting, now it's our OWN house!!! We use the fishy pool to birth in and I think we're setting it up in the living room for this birth. Gonna take some moving some furniture around to make it work, but oh well.

As far as our MW's fees go, she's $2000, due at the time of birth unless you set up a payment plan with her. She also reduces her fee for families who need it. We're fortunate b/c our MW really does this service b/c she believes in having birth alternatives. While she does make $$ from it, my understanding is that the $$ is not what it's about for her.

So let's see, Im almost 6 wks out from my EDD, so I have about 3 wks til I'm offically "approved" for a HB. I'm not that worried though, both my other HB babes were past their EDD, the 1st being 4 days past and the 2nd being 10 days past my EDD.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#26 of 130 Old 11-05-2008, 06:42 PM

We're planning our 3rd midwife assisted home-water birth. Its been a little different this time since we moved from WA to MO where midwifery isn't so legal. So there have been some challenges. I'm also having a hard time finding a birth tub to rent, which is frustrating and scary. This will be our first hypnobabies birth, so there's a new twist. My neighbor is acting as my doula.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#27 of 130 Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is baby #3 and first midwife assisted homebirth. I'm really excited about it. I hope all goes smoothly.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#28 of 130 Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM

This will be my 3rd home water birth. W/ ds 1 he was a planned home birth and I labored in the tub until his heart rate was dropping and had to transfer due to position issues.
Ds2 and ds3 were both born in the water
I had the same midwife for all 3 boys and have her again. My home visit is in 2 1/2 wks and she sent me home w/ my supplies today as she will be riding her scooter over and all of the stuff won't fit.
We use a larger fishy tub and I have been really happy with it.
I am looking forward to the birth and just love my midwife.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#29 of 130 Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 AM

Another 4th baby, 4th homebirth here.

I was able to get insurance to pay for the last three, but this time I have a different midwife and will have to pay out of pocket - $3200, which isn't that bad compared to what some of you are facing! We've been making payments since May, and it's almost paid off (full amount due Dec 1st, or we have to pay extra).

Right now I'm counting down the days until I'm "ok" for a homebirth, which is another week and a half away, or 36 and a half weeks. I've been having regular contractions on and off, but herbs (and last night, a little wine) have kept them at bay so far. Ideally I'll make it to November 29, at least, since until then my SO is out of the country. Just watch - I'll have the baby on the way back from the airport.... !
#30 of 130 Old 11-06-2008, 05:02 AM

This will be our 3rd birth and second home birth. Our midwife is covered fully. She will also bring a second midwife for backup and we've hired the same doula we had for DD. We bought a birth pool. Now we're waiting.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page