Happy News Only :) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to a friend's house last night to roast marshmellows in the backyard. It was truly a joy to watch our 3 girls run around and play for 2 hours - they laughed with glee and played fantasy games in the plastic castle toy and swung ever so high. They had so much fun they didn't even whine and beg when we said no more s'mores. DH and the Dad enjoyed a bit of scotch or some such beverages, while the Mom and I sat around and chatted. She works in NICU and has stories to tell ... it's a really good thing that I'm almost 36 weeks, or I would have been spooked, though!

I'm up too early again, today. DD's actually slept late - we got home way past their bedtime. I'm going to get some painting done - I haven't done any since last Friday - eek! Childbirth class tonight ...

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 114 Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 PM

I've been thinking about homeschooling a lot lately. I've always wanted to but thought that I was too impatient. I think that has changed and the thought of being my childrens teacher is so thrilling. Going on adventures and learning things even I didn't know...would be so much fun. I want to be the one that see's their faces light up when they *get* something...you know what I mean??? I've been doing a lot of research and reading on the homeschooling/unschooling forums and I am getting all excited just contemplating it. :

My other happy news...I slept pretty much since last night at 11pm. With a few ups in there, but not up and staying awake. I took a Unisom and it zonked me out. I just woke up 45 minutes ago. So that was 16 hours of mostly sleeping. With maybe an hour total of being awake...15 hours. Holy moly! I needed it! I only got up bc DD told me to bc she was bored. lol
#93 of 114 Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

homeschooling is sooooooo rewarding!! I always thought I couldn't do it, either. But I'm loving it (most days ).

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#94 of 114 Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
homeschooling is sooooooo rewarding!! I always thought I couldn't do it, either. But I'm loving it (most days ).
I think you helped me a bit in thinking really hard about it...and you didn't even know! LOL I hear all the fun things you get to do with your kiddo's and it gets me thinking about how I'm home anyways, why not? I don't want a school full of "strangers" watching my kids grow up...that's MY job!

SO thank you Janis!!! And thank all of you homeschooling momma's that helped me(unknowingly) start really thinking about this decision.!!!!!
#95 of 114 Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

: : OMG = I'm 36 weeks today!

How can that be?????

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#96 of 114 Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM

Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday!

How can THAT be????

I'm going to have to start thinking of myself as a grown-up, I guess.
#97 of 114 Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 PM

Happy birthday!

And, Jenn, homeschooling is so much fun! You can do all kinds of stuff that there would otherwise be no time for. Also, if you do more of a homeschooling (as opposed to unschooling) approach, the instruction the kid gets is so much more efficient and effective because it's one on one. I know my 5-year-old would be way less advanced in reading right now if he was in a class with 29 other kindergartners. But I teach him individually, so I can address his personal interests and issues as they come up. It's really good for their brains! Also, he has way more time for free play. I love it!

My good news is that my midwife checked me and I'm already at 1 cm! (not all the way up to the internal os, but still... I'm not even 36 weeks until tomorrow!) That's more pre-labor progress than I've ever made before. Last time I was closed (albeit lightly closed) at my last appointment 39 1/2 weeks!
#98 of 114 Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

OK - nobody has any happy news?

Well, I just scarfed my second dinner ... a big plate of Whole Foods Tofu Pine Nut Loaf ... mmmmmmm, it's one of my absolute favorite deli selections. DH went two days over the weekend, and got me two HUGE take out boxes of it. I just wish I could learn how to make it.

Other than that, today was just ho-hum. Girls and I scampered about, finished DD's birthday invites, found out that my sewing machine does NOT work (whine, I have to take it to be repaired tomorrow - hopefully it really is messed up, not a pregnant-brain-fart moment), and I think I have sold our plastic climb/slide (much to both DD's unhappiness).

I coerced DH into setting up our new printer tonight! We decided to get an ink jet combo scanner thing so that we can print pictures and have one piece of equipment instead of two. Crossing my fingers that it works well and scans as well as our other (I'm scanning genealogical photographs). Then, we need to sell our laser & separate scanner now ... wish me luck!

It's not cold anymore, but I've been making apple cider every night, and I'm simmering it again tonight anyway. Mmmmmmmm.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#99 of 114 Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 AM

My only good news is that my body is giving me signs of soon to be labor. Losing my mucous plug, and having regular Diarhea. My back absolutely is going to kill me. We've been DTD to try and get baby out...seems to be doing some good...we DTD saturday night and my mucous plug started coming out sunday. My hands aren't so swollen today...no clue how that happened. I got two foot rubs tonight. DH was rubbing lotion o n his feet and asked if I needed some..der, I can't reach them. And then when I got out of the tub I couldn't reach down to put lotion on my shaven legs so I asked and he gave me another rub down.

I am having REALLY strong BH's right now. I took a bath after DTD to relax and was doing nip stim and all the sudden my belly started getting tight. And has been ever since. I had a really really good strong CTX about 7pm tonight...some of them are getting stronger.

SO that's my good news.

I am taking DD out tomorrow to do something fun...she has been cooped up in the house all day today. SO I might take her out to lunch and to the park to play.
#100 of 114 Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Scored some awesome deals on craigs list! I got a glider and ottoman, baby bjorn, swing, food processor and some diapers for $160!! Pretty happy!! Especially since the swing retails for $140 and those gliders are expensive! I love my new chair!! :

Oh and about the homeschooling thing, I was homeschooled my whole way through and really appreciated it. I'm perfectly "normal" with friends and am a college graduate. (I know some people say homeschooled kids aren't socialized but that's hogwash). I would definitely recommend it and I'm planning on teaching my own children (at least while they're young). Just my two cents.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#101 of 114 Old 11-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
Just my two cents.
I can ALWAYS use anyones and everyones 2 cents!!!! Thank you for the input. I love hearing about how other people grew up.

Yay for homeschooling!
#102 of 114 Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

we had a lovely lovely day! My house is clean (mostly), and we're all stuffed! My brother came over for dinner, and the girls loved playing with him. And, we also invited a new friend to join us, which was really nice. We ate a vegan dinner, including "buttermilk" biscuits, broccoli rice casserole, mac & cheez, cranberry salad (mom's recipe, so yummy), baked sweet potatoes, collard & kale, and tofurkey - and peach cobbler for dessert!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

now I'm ready to go to bed!
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#103 of 114 Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 AM

I found the perfect Christmas stocking for this LO. Christmas is my absolute most favorite day in the entire year and stockings are a big tradition in our family. Dh wanted him to have a special stocking of the "You've had this since you were just born!" variety. I'm assuming he comes before Christmas, but even if he doesn't I'll celebrate like he has. Here's the stocking (obviously it will be personalized with his name!)

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/pkimg...008/img72m.jpg

It was even on sale!
#104 of 114 Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbyscout View Post
I found the perfect Christmas stocking for this LO. Christmas is my absolute most favorite day in the entire year and stockings are a big tradition in our family. Dh wanted him to have a special stocking of the "You've had this since you were just born!" variety. I'm assuming he comes before Christmas, but even if he doesn't I'll celebrate like he has. Here's the stocking (obviously it will be personalized with his name!)

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/pkimg...008/img72m.jpg

It was even on sale!
DH and I saw these in person last night. They are too cute! They are nice and soft and *homey* feeling. They had all kinds to choose from too! Awesome! How fun!
#105 of 114 Old 11-28-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

DH & DDs brought me my favorite raspberry banana tofu smoothie!! I found this little smoothies shop about 8 years ago, and gosh I love them ... but they moved last year ... mmmmmm, it hits the spot!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#106 of 114 Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 PM

I just thought I would bring this thread back so we can be happy during our waiting games.
I didn't make dinner tonight but "cheated" by cooking some of the soup I have in the freezer!
My house is so nice and clean! Everything is ready for baby to arrive.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#107 of 114 Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Great idea, Smerkin!

We cheated tonight too. Picked up Boston Market, which I've never had and I do say it was good! : Dp We don't eat meat, so dp at the chicken and we loaded up on sides and I wish I had more right now! So good, I was surprised.
#108 of 114 Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

hooray! It's been resurrected!

We did my belly cast tonight.
I'll post pictures tomorrow - it was messy but fun!

DH brought home Mission Burritos Que Mas Salad for dinner ... mmmm. Now, I'm making edamame and pasta - it's normally a summer favorite for me, but I'm hungry again.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#109 of 114 Old 12-18-2008, 02:33 AM

I can't wait to see your bellycast! I want to do one too...how did you do yours? I have looked it up but curious to know what method you used, maybe it's better than what i've found online??
#110 of 114 Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

belly cast photos: http://philhyde.smugmug.com/gallery/...39023173_jBViR

I got the strips from a medical supply store, and I slathered my body with olive oil. Other than that, nothing complicated! i looked at several pages online, like this one: http://pregnancyandbaby.com/pregnanc...y-cast-467.htm

I used olive oil because I don't like the idea of petroleum products - the olive oil worked like a charm and was very easy to wash off. I wore the skimpiest panties I could find and elected to throw them out (I *never* throw things away!). Phil applied the strips, and the kids watched and laughed. It took less than 45 minutes start to finish.

DO IT!!
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#111 of 114 Old 12-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Ohhh I love your cast! I am so gonna do it I found some info on mdc and think we'll go w/ the Rigid Wrap from Michaels. Hopefully it works and if dp would answer is freakin' phone I could have him pick some up now and drop it off on lunch break : Why have a cell if you won't answer??? What if I was in labor? geez....

So anywho...I think we're going to paint my belly today or tomorrow. Depends when we get the rigid wrap. The kids are gonna love it! They wanted to paint it on Thanksgiving but we never did....So I'll get some pics and hopefully post them before she arrives.
#112 of 114 Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
We cheated tonight too. Picked up Boston Market, which I've never had and I do say it was good! : Dp We don't eat meat, so dp at the chicken and we loaded up on sides and I wish I had more right now! So good, I was surprised.
Oh that sounds yummy!! I think I'll make a quiche tonight and put some broccoli in it. Never done that before but I know you can throw a lot of things in there. Should I steam it beforehand? Anyone got any tips?

Looks like the NE might get some crazy snow this weekend! Yikes! This is our first winter here and I'm a little nervous. Thankfully we have a SUV and DH is very calm and cool headed.

On Tuesday at my 39 week check-up my doc felt around and said she was low and engaged and could go this weekend! She hasn't done an internal so I don't know what my progress is but ya never know!!

I think I'm going to go through my bathroom and gather up all the make-up and products I have never used. I can send them back with my mom to my sisters and they can either keep 'em or give 'em away. I guess I'm kind of a product whore but recently I've gotten a lot more simple and just use the same few things. Simplifying is always good, right?

Well, I haven't done anything yet today so I'd better get cracking on that! It's been so nice just to lay around and enjoy my last few days of "freedom". Thankfully I've been sleeping like a log so I'm very well-rested!

Hows everyone else? Ready for Christmas? And the weekend?

#113 of 114 Old 12-18-2008, 04:38 PM

We're in RI and had to buy a snow shovel and other things. Our heater pipe bursted lastn night so dp is home on lunch break fixing it right now. It's SO cold in here right now :

This is our 1st winter here too (we moved here from the NW) and if we get that crazy 2ft of snow they say we might at least we'll be at home and not have to drive anywhere. We are going to Boston tonight to pick up stuff from MIL and we need some groceries in case of this storm. I wonder if my mw can make it in this kind of snow??? Yikes...I hope so.

I am really not ready for xmas tho. I thought she'd be here by now and I would have time after to worry about it. But??? I feel like I can't even think about it w/ so much to worry about w/ the gbs. I hate gbs.
#114 of 114 Old 12-18-2008, 05:01 PM

I want chicken! : The ice melted, and now it's a tad warmer! : So I don't have to worry about falling and hurting myself! : I'm a klutz, you see, and regularly trip over myself when I'm not pregnant. So now that I'm pregnant, it's even worse, and add ice, and I'm likely to go kablooey. :P I wish we could have *snow* though. What we had was frozen sleet, which is not so fun to throw at people LOL

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page