does your belly get bigger w/each pregnant, or does bigger belly=bigger baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering...my stomach is definitely bigger this time around even though I haven't gained as much weight as last time. I'm pretty skinny so any stomach that's there is all baby. Does your stomach generally get bigger with each pregnancy no matter what size the baby is, or does a bigger stomach tend to mean the baby is bigger? I'm a little concerned that this baby is on the small side as my midwife estimated his weight at 4.75-5 lbs at my 36.5 week checkup...DD was estimated at 5.5 lbs at that point which was pretty accurate since she weighed 7 lbs 3 oz at 40 weeks exactly. I know weight estimates are just estimates, but still... So I'm wondering if the fact that my stomach is bigger is likely to mean anything in terms of the size of the baby. Baby has dropped but my stomach still feels like it's up in chest as high as it can go and it's still growing out, too (as everyone keeps telling me ever so kindly: ) But other than stomach size I have absolutely no idea how big this baby is compared to how big DD was.
#2 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 AM

People show belly earlier after the first time but beyond that I think it's baby size and/or how the baby is positioned (like a person may measure small w/ a tape, but measure nearer normal on an u/s, just b/c the baby was curled up in a space-saving way during the tape measure.)
#3 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM

There are many factors to consider with belly size. Like how big the placenta is and its position, how much amniotic fluid there is, the way the baby lies, etc. So a bigger belly does not necessarily mean a bigger baby. My belly was smaller with my second and she was bigger than my first. My mom swears this baby is going to be smaller than the girls, but she feels so much bigger to me. I guess we'll see. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#4 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM

I have been bigger with each of my pregnancies, but so far, my baby size hasn't been much bigger than the first (my second was only 4ozs bigger than my first). I didn't gain as much weight with my second or third, but I did still have about 35lbs left on me from my first when I had my second and I still have those same 35lbs with my third. Sigh...one day I will lose the weight.

I think a lot of it tends to be stomach muscles just aren't the same after that first child. I had six years between my first and second and only two years between my second and third. Things have definitely been different this time around in terms of showing, how I carry, and just general aches and pains. I think I had more time to recover between my first and second.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#5 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 PM

i think statistically you do have a higher chance of bigger babies with each pregnancy.
#6 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollycat View Post
i think statistically you do have a higher chance of bigger babies with each pregnancy.
Really? That's interesting and I had never heard that before.

I actually have a much smaller belly this time around compared to with my first. My first was a girl, and this time around it is a boy. According the the ultra sounds I did, he is growing just fine. So the general rule that your stomach gets bigger with every pregnancy is not always true . Right now, my belly is about the same as it was with five months with my daughter.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#7 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 PM

My belly has been biggest so far in my 3rd pg and that was my smallest baby. My stomach is the smallest by far this time as well as this is the least ammount of weight I have gained ever so we will see.
I think that there are so many factors you just can't really figure out which one or ones are causing the larger/smaller belly until after (if then)

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page