Another naming post - which Indian name do you like best? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband is Indian and we are thinking of naming the baby an Indian name. We want one that is pretty but also easy to remember and pronounce for non-indians. We don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl so I have a list of our top contenders for either. What do you think? Are these names too difficult? Any other suggestions?

Girls

Priyanka
Samira (has good nicknames, Sam, Sami, Mira)
Amrita (also has easy nickname, Rita)
Uma (my husband doesn't like, so probably won't happen)
Shyla
Roshni
Gita or Sangita (pronounced with a hard "g")

Boys

Dharmik (nickname Mik)
Prashant
Roshin
Sandeep (nickname Sunny)
Vikram (nicknam Vik)
Vivek
Deven
Jitendra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM

I really like Roshin and Deven for boys' names. And I think Samira is a really pretty girl's name. I had two friends in college named Samnita and one of them went by Nita. I always thought that was a nice name, too.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#3 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Not in your ddc, but I really like Roshni for a girl.

For a boy, I also like Roshin, but it sounds like the Irish girl's name (don't know how to spell it) pronounced Ro-sheen. There's a girl in ds's class with that name.

Of the other boys names, I like Vikram and Deven the best.
#4 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:35 PM

I really like Samira, Amrita and Shyla. Those are sooooo cute.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#5 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Sandeep is my favorite Indian boy name. My favorite Indian girls names I don't know how to spell but I'll try- Angeli(auhn-ge-lee) and Shalani.
#6 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM

I'm not quite sure on the pronunciation for some of these, so taking that into account (choosing ones that seem easy to pronounce and spell), my favorites are Samira, Gita, Roshin and Deven. Dharmik and Amrita also look nice, but could be mispronounced.
#7 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 PM

I like Dharmik and Roshin for boys, and Sangita, but call her Gita, or Samira for a girl!
Cute names!

...And when your deepest thoughts are broken,
keep on dreaming boy, cause when you stop dreamin' it's time to die.

#8 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 05:48 PM

Of the list you posted:

Priyanka-- I like this and know a couple of people who just go by Priya
Samira (has good nicknames, Sam, Sami, Mira)--I like this a LOT its lovely and seems like it is easy to pronounce in English and has a great nickname. One of my favorite name is Samara so the fact that this is close might be influencing it but this would be my top choice.
Amrita (also has easy nickname, Rita)--also very nice, and easy for non-indians.
Uma (my husband doesn't like, so probably won't happen)--its ok but too connected to the movie star.
Shyla---too similar to many trendy names of the moment, it is ok though, not a bad sound though I don't love the word "Shy" being in there
Roshni---its not bad but I like the other choices better.
Gita or Sangita (pronounced with a hard "g")---I'm a little biased about this name because I knew someone who was a Gita who was so dumb. We called her Gita the Git, and so the name is a bit tainted. I prefer Sangita.

Boys

Dharmik (nickname Mik)--niether bad nor good.
Prashant--also ok, but hard to be enthusiastic about.
Roshin--I like it a lot, there is an Irish name for girls that is similar but its not very common in the US and is spelled differently.
Sandeep (nickname Sunny)---I went to school with a Sandip, Its ok. Sunny would be seen as a very feminine nickname I think.
Vikram (nicknam Vik)---I like this a lot, handsome, has a famous author to make the name a bit more familiar.
Vivek---Ok except he might get called Viv?
Deven---I love this name but it seems so similar to the name Devin or Devon that he will have to spell it a lot and people may thing its just a misspelling of Devin.
Jitendra - more foreign sounding than your other choices. Nothing really wrong with it though.

I don't know what Indian Language your husband speaks and I don't know what languages these are but these are some other "Indian" choices I like.

Boy:
Anand
Chanden
Jayant/Jaya
Kiran
Navin
Ravi
Rohan
Sachin
(I particularly love the last two)

Girls:

Amala
Ananda
Arya
Chandra
Kamala
Lavanya
Lilivati
Sarala
Sitara

Other than Lavanya and Lilivati I've heard all of the above used in the US and there didn't seem to be problems.

These are some other subcontinent names I've heard and liked but I couldn't find citations for them and its possible they are pakistani or bangla or from somewhere else entirely:

Raid (pronounced RA-eed)
Sharad

Anahita
Rania
#9 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Samarita is my favorite for a girl. There are a few different nicknames in there if she doesn't like Rita. I love the names Savleen and Loveleen too.

I like Roshin or Vikram on your boy list. I also love the name name Junaid. Everyone either calls him Junaid, or J. (we have a ton of Indian friends) I know about 150 Sunny's. Boys and girls. With that name its impossible to know what the gender is before you see them.

Is your husband traditional? Will the middles names be either Kaur or Singh? It depends of what region of India his family is from.

I would like to take this opportunity to second everything Erica said. Yes, what she said. Good.
#10 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 PM

I like Samira or Sangita for a girl. Samira is the least unusual sounding to me. I like Deven for a boy, Vikram's ok if you use Vik, and Roshin's not too bad. IMO girls can get away with having an unsual name more easily than boys can.
#11 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 PM

My two cents...

Girls

Priyanka--I really like this, and I like Priya as well.
Samira (has good nicknames, Sam, Sami, Mira)--I like this one too, and cute nicknames
Amrita (also has easy nickname, Rita)--I keep wanting to pronounce this "Amitra"
Uma (my husband doesn't like, so probably won't happen)--too tied to the movie star
Shyla--Sounds a bit trendy
Roshni--Nice
Gita or Sangita (pronounced with a hard "g")--Also nice

Boys

Dharmik (nickname Mik)--Reminds me of that old tv show Dharma and Greg, which I hated, so I have a negative association with this name
Prashant--I like this
Roshin--The Irish name everyone's talking about is spelled Roisin, but unless you life in an Irish area, it's a pretty uncommon name. I like this one.
Sandeep (nickname Sunny)--I like this too, but I have also met a lot of Indians named Sunny
Vikram (nicknam Vik)--I like this
Vivek--Seems like Viv would be an inevitable nickname
Deven--Would you pronounce this like Devin or Day-vin? I think it would be very easily misspelled Devin or Devon.
Jitendra--For some reason this has a feminine sound to me

Unfortunately I don't know enough about Indian names to offer suggestions, but I really like some of the ones on your list!
#12 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 PM

I love Samira and Roshin

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#13 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 PM

I'll put in a vote for Samira for a girl and Sandeep for a boy. Pretty names!

#14 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM

They're not on your list, but my favorite indian names are

boy
Anil (ah-neel)

girl
Neela (nee-lah)
#15 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyofBirth View Post
I really like Samira, Amrita and Shyla. Those are sooooo cute.
:, and for a boy I like Deven

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#16 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Not on your list either, but I really like Yashna and Nandini. I like most of the names on your list too, though!
#17 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 11:08 PM

oh...I vote Rahnee.

lol (see below)
#18 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 02:53 AM

I like Samira and Roshin.
#19 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 01:22 PM

I really like:
Priyanka, but that's b/c the little girl went by Priya..and I love Priya! Cute name. Her mother was named Shobna (showb-na) which I also thought was a wonderful name.

Samira
Shyla

Boys:
Roshin
Sandeep (nickname Sunny)
#20 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 05:08 PM

O.K.

Since, DH and I will be choosing Vedic (aka Indian names) as well, I don't want to tell you the ones I like best for fear you will choose them and I will be left with fewer choices....Just joking. Really, I love these names.

Amrita (though I have a friend with this name and I know a bunch of them personally)
Gita or Sangita
Samira (LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! What does this name mean btw?) If you don't use it, I just might. I'm putting this one on my list....

I also like these girl names:
Vrinda or Vrindarani
Lalita
Anapayani (it's not really a name, but rather a word that means inseperable in Sanskrit) This is my #1 girl name btw. Just thought it would be fair to give you my number one pick. The nicknames could be: Ana (Ah-nah) or Ani (Ah-ni). I only know of one person with that name and she's a great person and wonderful Bharatnatyam dancer. She's amazing!

For the Boy names:

Deven (I love this one the best!)
Sandeep (I already know one and he's married to an Amrita)

I also like the name Arvind (meaning lotus or red lotus from what I've heard)

Sorry I couldn't nail it down for you. But thanks for some really good suggestions on my part. I was at a loss for first names....But really, let me know what you choose and I won't choose it.

Best of luck picking a name for your new baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyfriedgirl View Post
My husband is Indian and we are thinking of naming the baby an Indian name. We want one that is pretty but also easy to remember and pronounce for non-indians. We don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl so I have a list of our top contenders for either. What do you think? Are these names too difficult? Any other suggestions?

Girls

Priyanka
Samira (has good nicknames, Sam, Sami, Mira)
Amrita (also has easy nickname, Rita)
Uma (my husband doesn't like, so probably won't happen)
Shyla
Roshni
Gita or Sangita (pronounced with a hard "g")

Boys

Dharmik (nickname Mik)
Prashant
Roshin
Sandeep (nickname Sunny)
Vikram (nicknam Vik)
Vivek
Deven
Jitendra

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#21 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM

P.S.

I have lots of girl names....

There is also

Anjali
Nandini (saw that one earlier and it's on my list too)
Kairava (I think it's a white lotus flower that blooms in the moonlight) I love this name though my friend has already named her daughter this. Don't want to bite off of her.
Revati Same friend has a daughter with this name too.
Sachi

Okay, I think that's it for names. I've exhausted myself....

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#22 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 PM

I like them all, really! I think I know people with most of those names, so they all have positive associations. Esp. Samira and Sangita and Priya.
#23 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM

I know a Sandheep and he goes by Sandy personally I like that better than sonny. I don't really know any other indian names but I like the choices you have.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#24 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 PM

Shamira is my favorite girl name from your list. I also like Shyla, but agree with a pp that it sounds somewhat trendy.
#25 of 25 Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. I wanted to reply earlier but have been very busy at work getting ready to go on maternity leave.

Your comments and suggestions were all really helpful. I remember when I first started dating my husband some of the names of his family were so difficult for me to learn and remember. Now I have gotten so used to the Indian names that I didn't feel like I could reliably determine which ones sounded too difficult for non-Indians.

I think we have a definite winner for a girl: Samira (although now we have to decide whether to spell it Samira or Sameera).

For a boy, I think we are now torn between Dharmik and Vikram, although we are probably leaning toward Vikram.

Now we just have to figure out a middle name. We aren't going to use an Indian name, but other than that we haven't even begun to come close to a choice on the middle name yet .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page