Tiny rant- "but Hallmark e-cards don't count as TV!" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're TV free when DS is awake. When he's sleeping, we feel free to indulge.

Two or three weeks ago, we were at my mom's house and she took DS (18 mos) into her office and let him watch Hoops and Yo-Yo Hallmark E-cards. She's done it a few more times since then, and now DS has been taking our hands, dragging us to the computer, and asking for Hoops and Yo-Yo. He's also been walking around the house saying things like "happy sunny day" and "more waffles"- both of these are from what he's seen on Hoops and Yo Yo.

I'm pretty peeved at my mom for doing this, and a bit more upset at DH, who has started letting DS watch Hoops and Yo-Yo e-cards when he wakes up in the morning.

Now, I can think of a zillion worse things for him to be watching than Hoops and Yo Yo, but I simply don't think this is appropriate for us. I'm going to nip this in the bud with DH and my mom and really work on redirecting DS when he starts dragging us towards the computer. I'm just so miffed that my own mother would try to bend the rules by saying that e-cards aren't TV.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#2 of 4 Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklett View Post
We're TV free when DS is awake. When he's sleeping, we feel free to indulge.

Two or three weeks ago, we were at my mom's house and she took DS (18 mos) into her office and let him watch Hoops and Yo-Yo Hallmark E-cards. She's done it a few more times since then, and now DS has been taking our hands, dragging us to the computer, and asking for Hoops and Yo-Yo. He's also been walking around the house saying things like "happy sunny day" and "more waffles"- both of these are from what he's seen on Hoops and Yo Yo.

I'm pretty peeved at my mom for doing this, and a bit more upset at DH, who has started letting DS watch Hoops and Yo-Yo e-cards when he wakes up in the morning.

Now, I can think of a zillion worse things for him to be watching than Hoops and Yo Yo, but I simply don't think this is appropriate for us. I'm going to nip this in the bud with DH and my mom and really work on redirecting DS when he starts dragging us towards the computer. I'm just so miffed that my own mother would try to bend the rules by saying that e-cards aren't TV.
On the one hand, people need to understand that going tv-free isn't just about content, it's about eliminating screen time altogether. It's about not sitting and watching an electronic screen. Some people just don't get that.

On the other hand, can you explain why Hoops and Yo Yo isn't appropriate for you?

We're not tv-free (hope you don't mind my input!) but we don't allow tv Monday through Thursday. (And it's been wonderful for our school age kids. We had horrible problems with homework prior to that ban.) Also they don't have tv's in their bedrooms. In any case, 13 dd has gotten in the habit of taking the family lap top with her to bed. I really didn't think twice about it, but then she started talking about watching Charlie the Unicorn , Potter Puppet Pals, reruns of Lizzy McGuire, lots and lots of stuff on Youtube (it's filtered) over and over again. And she's got an account with Howrse (virtual horses, world's stupidest club name) that she's active on. Now this stuff is totally benign for a thirteen year old in my opinion, especially compared to some of the horrible trash she says her classmates get into on line. None the less, the screen time has added up! It's like she's got a tv in her bedroom.

Dh and I just came to this realization this last week, while the kids were on Thanksgiving break, so we let her keep using the lap top. But it ended last night (school night). No lap top in her bedroom.

Anyway, that's my long winded way of agreeing with you that watching little videos on the internet is basically the same as watching tv, and needs to count as screen time.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 4 Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Yes the computer is a slippery slope that we've struggled with too. My DS is 2 and we don't own a tv, but he is obsessed with trains so we would occasionally show him videos on youtube of real trains - pointing out the different types of cars, etc. Now he asks to watch them every day! I try to limit it to only a few minutes here & there, and only realistic things (no Thomas, although he's seen it at a friend's house so that's another story!), but it is hard to stop once you start. *sigh*

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#4 of 4 Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Just another perspective, but our house is NOT TV-free and if I were in your mother's position, as much as I would be trying to respect and adhere to your parenting rules, it would not have occured to me that you would not be okay with e-cards. I don't know the whole situation, obviously, but I would be inclined to believe that your mother was not purposely trying to undermine your parenting. I say let it go, forgive, explain to her a wider, more specific list o things you would like her to avoid for DS, and go from there. As for your DH, he is an equal parent with you so you'll have to hash that out with him.

As for us, we went through a similar thing when we had to have our DS be sugar-free for a while and a few times he was given sugary stuff at MIL's house. She didn't mean to, she just honestly didn't know it had sugar in it. It was kind of a big deal to me, since 1. he reacted badly to it-- it caused him painful physical symptoms and 2. it meant we had to start ALL over again with his diet, but I didn't get mad at her-- I mean she honestly wasn't trying to undermine us. It's just one of those annoying things that happens.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page