tell me I haven't blown it! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 5 mo daughter. We have been watching non-commercial tv around her from the get-go,. against my better judgment. We don't have cable so it is basically taped series and movies. It has been on up to a few hours a day but usually no more than an hour.

The worst thing is that we often watch something while eating meals. I know - really bad.

So, I don't need to be told how bad these things are - my intuition says it is not good. I am ready to turn it off.

My question is: have I already harmed my daughter by having it on? I am usually pretty good about turning it off when she needs my attention and still talking with her and holding her, but I am concerned I have not been as interactive as I could have.

Fortunately, she doesn't really watch it. She will look at it when it first turns on and then gets distracted by everything else in the room.

I guess I am looking for a little encouragement that stopping now will be better than nothing.

Thanks!

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#2 of 3 Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is definitely not too late! I know there are many many people who would be thrilled if they could go back to 5 months old and make different decisions about their television viewing.

If you are looking for some good motivation to turn off the TV and keep it off, I recommend the book "Plug in Drug." A lot of libraries have it.

You will not regret your decision. Getting rid of TV has been one of the best decisions DH and I have ever made for our family:
#3 of 3 Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We did the same thing with DS, finally turning the TV off for the most part around age... 8 months or so. DH still watches once in a while but DS has no interest. my mil has hers on all day for day care, and when he's over there, no interest. I even bought him a movie a while back and stuck it in for him and he hardly looked at it.
Maybe he sees how much less interactive we are when we watch it and just thinks it's a pain in the butt? I hope it lasts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page