TV DVD questions- Please Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like a horrible mom being in this situation.... please be easy on me- I am beating myself up enough over this

However even though our daycare provider insists the kids don't watch that much TV- I know they do. It is always on, even if it is a music channel. She puts on Little Bear and Barney for the kids- a lot I am sure of it.

My DD is 6mo and I don't like the idea of her being around TV all the time. I know what kind of impact it will have on her ability to concentrate later on in life. (from my own experience.)

However- I have mentioned it to my provider and she just says- oh we don't watch too much.

We are not in a situation where one parent can stay home..... Different shifts isn't an option.... There are no providers taking infants in the area so switching isn't an optin .. we don't have the funds for a nanny... and frankly they just scaled me back at work and our current provider is willing to work through this by lowering her rate for us. We have looked in to several otion and right now, staying with her is the only viable option at this time.

We are not TV Free at home... though we are trying to limit her exposure since she get some much at DC. (DH and I disagree on the screen issue to some extent.)

We do lots of other things as a family- she sits with us in the dining room as we eat even though she isn't really on solids. We read together, sing together, play, dance... hike....ect.... She is watching as I cook dinner or "helps" with laundry ect....

I have started bringing Books and CDs for her. But I know the TV is going to be on- even if its the providers own teenagers watching it.

So with that said- do you have any recommendations for "good" or not completely horrible TV/DVD time that I could bring to DC for the provider to use.... The last thing I want is DD to be addicted to a purple dinosaur!

Thank you for any help - wisdom - support - ect....

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 PM

Is your daughter in an in-home daycare? How many children are there?

If your daughter is the only child being watched, then there is no reason at all that the day-care provider should have the TV on at all. However, I assume that she is not the only child. It may be harder to negotiate with your DCP in this situation. It also depends on the number and ages of the children. However, you are paying her to take care of your child, so I would insist just as much as possible without ruining your relationship.

To be honest with you, I don't have any research on this subject, but I remember reading that some respectable-sounding authoritative body recommends that children under the age of 2 should not watch any TV at all.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
er to negotiate with your DCP in this situation. It also depends on the number and ages of the children. However, you are paying her to take care of your child, so I would insist just as much as possible without ruining your relationship.

To be honest with you, I don't have any research on this subject, but I remember reading that some respectable-sounding authoritative body recommends that children under the age of 2 should not watch any TV at all.
:

i think it is unacceptable for a 6 mo to be watching tv AT ALL.

we are not tv free either.

we limit media to what we are comfortable wiith, but i cannot imagine putting a small baby in front of a tv.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

You are paying for a service so you need to be happy with it. You should also have a written contact detailing what the CCP will/won't do. ie: will they do cloth, provide meals, TV etc.

If you have spoken to her and she has stated "We don't watch that much" you can either accept it or not because it sound like this is a in home place where the CCP own teenagers have access to the childcare space to the point where they are allowed to watch TV while the children are being taken care of by theri mom.

Honestly- that is a bigger red flag to me. I can't see teens sitting around watching Barney. What are they watching? How long are there?

Sounds like you don't have many choices but only you can decide what the line in the sand is. Personally I wouldn't want my child w/ someone who would dismiss my active concern. I would want the person to take my concern seriously and then explain exactly how the TV was used. Then I could decide for myself.

For example: the TV is only on for an hour while the younger ones nap/ have floor time/ etc. The volume is kept low and the children are actively engaged at the same time. We sing songs along w/ Barney, do the dances, etc. That I might be able to accept (not ideal and not my first choice) but in light of your situation w/ not having another place to go acceptable. But that is *my* take.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post
Honestly- that is a bigger red flag to me. I can't see teens sitting around watching Barney. What are they watching? How long are there?
This, and I would also be a little concerned about teenagers having access to the babies in general. Have you met the teenagers in question, OP?

Regardless, your childcare provider shouldn't just dismiss your concerns about TV exposure. There is evidence that babies under the age of two should never watch TV, and, cut rate or not, you are paying her to follow your wishes (within reason).

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

User Tag List