Hulu - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Neither dh nor I watched anything but dvd's on our respective tvs for years before we were married, and a few years ago, we even did away w/ that by selling the tv. We made pretty strict rules about dvd usage on the computer and life went on easily. Fast forward to last year when the networks began putting their shows on the internet & the birth of Hulu.com & the RedBox (dvd rentals for a dollar).

Did anyone else love the Hulu Super Bowl commercial featuring Alec Baldwin? The one where he said, "What are you gonna do, get rid of your tv AND your computer?" Yeah, that is us, 100%, because a lot of people on this forum mention the glory of there not being the temptation to "just turn on the tv" b/c they don't own one.. Neither do we, but you don't have to do ANY work, or barely wait, for a show to load on Hulu. It is all streaming content. They also have old shows (full seasons!) and movies.

We started watching some while I was pg b/c we could. It really bloomed into full-on watching after the birth when dd was a little nursling & I was stuck on the couch for at least 30 mins several times a day. We cut WAAAAAY back from then b/c it was way too much tv. I used to be so proud of us b/c we did not even rent dvds! For years!

So, yeah, I would love it if I could still say that the tv temptation did not exist b/c we do not own one, but that era has passed, my friends. Direct streaming content, delivered hot and fresh with less commercial interruption than on regular television. This is the way of the future. If you own a computer, you DO own a tv.

Between Hulu and Netflix, we watch 6 different shows regularly. I did stop watching any other shows besides those six. Compared to the average consumer, we are doing GREAT, but we went from zero to six in one year. I suppose I could call us tv-less rather than tv-free

Any other net tv watchers out there feeling my pain?

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#2 of 6 Old 02-17-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm totally with you! We really only watch 3 shows regularly and the movies they have are so crappy that we don't watch every day, but it's really hard to totally avoid it. I feel like I have to be really creative to help us do something else in the evenings after DD has gone to sleep. But, honestly an hour (less on the net because of no commercials) is better than the 2-4 that we were watching when we did have a TV. And my biggest reason for being TV-free is because of the kids so as long as I don't start pulling up shows for DD then I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.
#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM

DH and I are thinking about getting rid of cable to cut costs and get rid of the temptation to waste time. Hulu sounds interesting, but we have some basic questions.

Does Hulu carry any kids programming? I would miss PBS and DD would miss some Disney Channel stuff. We are open to some substitution. . . . . .

What is the cost?

Thanks!
#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowan1 View Post
DH and I are thinking about getting rid of cable to cut costs and get rid of the temptation to waste time. Hulu sounds interesting, but we have some basic questions.

Does Hulu carry any kids programming? I would miss PBS and DD would miss some Disney Channel stuff. We are open to some substitution. . . . . .

What is the cost?

Thanks!
Hulu is free. As far as I have found, they do *not* have any kids programming.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#5 of 6 Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 PM

I am thinking about using this. How is the download time? The quality of the shows? Is it a pretty good program overall?

It would suck to have to watch tv shows on my lapotop all the time but it would sure beat paying a ton of money on cable that I don't watch!
#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hulu is free. There is no dowloading time, it is all streaming video. It buffers as it comes to your computer, like Flash. They carry a lot of current shows, Bones, House, 30 Rock, nip/tuck, The Office, Sarah Conner Chronicles, etc, etc, etc. They also have a lot of older shows, Doogie Howser, Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, etc. They also have a limited selection of mostly crappy movies, lol.

Hulu, I hate to say, is TOTALLY AWESOME. You get much less commercials than on tv & we have only had problems w/ videos not loading or lagging once in a while. Like, if a new House has just been posted, well a lot of ppl are going to be watching it & that does affect the streaming negatively. They do have kids programming ~ it's under their family channel.

If you have high-speed internet, you already have Hulu.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page