5 year old being mobbed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cousin's daughter is being mobbed at nursery school for not knowing about some TV show. The other kids have called her "weird". Has this happened to anyone else? What to do?

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

My MIL has said this will happen to our DD but I thought she was crazy. Now I'm really concerned. DD is only 13.5 months but how do you all handle this?

and 2 rescued greyhounds
Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM

We are completely TV free, but at preschool DS (age 5) has learned all about Spiderman, Superman, and shooting at bad guys.

He has no exposure to these characters at home, but now he and his friends play superheroes on the playground every day, and he comes home shooting "webs" with his fingers splayed out. He has not been ostracized, and readily figured out how to play with his peers. (He now says that "Superman puts people in jail," which is the alternative I presented him to shooting and killing people, unacceptable to our family values.) Some days, he convinces his friends to play Sharks or other games of his design.

No regrets about being TV free!

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 AM

We have always been completely TV free. My dd will be 5 years old this week. She is in preschool (actually full-time daycare), not kindergarten yet. In spite of my vigorous attempts to avoid all commercial characters, she knows who Dora, SpongeBob, Stawberry Shortcake, Elmo, Princesses (Ariel, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast), Spiderman, you name it, are. (She can recognize their pictures.) She talks about them all the time (especially Dora and the various Disney Princesses, to my great despair. Granted, she doesn't know a lot of the excruciating details about them, but really, there is not a lot of in depth conversation about these characters going on in the daycare.

So no, she is not out of things at all, nor considered weird, at least not at age 5. I don't know whether that will change once elementary school begins, but I will stay TV free even then regardless.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodmachine View Post
What to do?
Sorry, my previous post came out wrong. Of course your real question is what to do about your cousin's little girl.

What I meant to say in my previous post is that it might not really be about the fact that she doesn't watch TV, but something else.

I meant that at the nursery school level, I don't think the kids have deep discussion involving TV, otherwise my daughter would be a complete social outcast. I think the TV enters at a very superficial level. They probably spend a lot of time talking about TV, but my daughter seems to easily be able to "fake it". My daughter is an only child, so she is always role playing with things at home, like she'll take two green beans and they'll have a conversation like, "Dora this, Cinderella that, babble babble." There's not much content that is specifically tied to the details of the TV shows.

So what I meant is that, if I were in your cousin's shoes, I'd have a more general talk with the nursery school teachers to see how my little girl is doing interacting with the kids in question, and I would ask the nursery school teachers what they are specifically going to do to encourage better social interactions between the other children my little girl. Just out of curiosity, I'd ask my little girl where the mobbing is happening. In the playground, where older kids are mixing with the younger kids? In the classroom where the teachers are supposed to be right there? I'd expect the teachers to offer to watch my child closely at those times to identify and then stop such incidents.

By the way, just out of curiosity, what is this TV show that started all of this?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 AM

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysmama View Post
By the way, just out of curiosity, what is this TV show that started all of this?
I don't know the name of the show just that's it's after "Bollibumpa". We are not in the States so probably don't have the same shows.

I always believed in the "faking" thing, so I was shocked when I heard this story from MIL. I agree there must be something else going on. I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice and experience-sharing. I intend on continuing our "TV-free and happy" lifestyle.

and 2 rescued greyhounds

User Tag List