TV free play dates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We allow TV but I do have a rule that if a friend comes over to play, then there is to be no TV. Does anyone else have rules like these and how do they work?
#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 AM

We're the TV-free ones, but all of our friends (all do TV to some extent or another) have the same "rule". Only on rare occasion has it been an issue (ie tired toddler tantruming for TV); generally the littles are well distracted by having us over.

Interestingly, there is no such rule for adults; the times TV has been on when we're over have been for adult parties and there's a race/game/match on and it's assumed all the adults will be interested.
#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits and bobs View Post
We allow TV but I do have a rule that if a friend comes over to play, then there is to be no TV. Does anyone else have rules like these and how do they work?
We have the same rule. A lot of people here don't have / like tv, so it's easier to just have a blanket rule. Besides if they have friends over they do not need to sit & veg out. Occasionally there is an exception if I am babysitting one of their friends all day and the weather is bad. I will check with the mom and maybe allow one show. But my kids know when we have friends over we don't watch tv.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
We're the TV-free ones, but all of our friends (all do TV to some extent or another) have the same "rule". Only on rare occasion has it been an issue (ie tired toddler tantruming for TV); generally the littles are well distracted by having us over.

Interestingly, there is no such rule for adults; the times TV has been on when we're over have been for adult parties and there's a race/game/match on and it's assumed all the adults will be interested.
Wow. I couldn't imagine putting on the tv if I had actual real company. Actual real company is such a treat, why would I need a game on in the background. My parents do it though. They travel 7000 miles to see us and every night they sit in the spare room just watching the tv

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#5 of 6 Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM

We watch tv (trying to abstain) but never during playdates. That's actually a deal-breaker for me--if the tv is on when we visit someone, we don't go back. After all, we could stay home and watch the tube!

On a related note, another pet peeve is that all the indoor play areas around here always have a tv on. Why??? I always find someone to ask if it can be turned off--I've yet to be successful.
#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post

On a related note, another pet peeve is that all the indoor play areas around here always have a tv on. Why??? I always find someone to ask if it can be turned off--I've yet to be successful.
Do you have to pay to get in? If so, I would tell them that I'm not paying to come and watch tv, but to play. Sucks b/c it is nice to take the kiddos somewhere fun!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page