TV in a pizza parlor... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday was one son's birthday and we went out for pizza. Everyone was in high spirits and chatty walking there, and hungry. We walked in and as soon as the pizza chef saw us she changed the station on the big screen tv to a kids' station. She was obviously trying to be nice. Anyway, within about 30 seconds my four kids were all slack jaw, staring at sponge bob. My dh and I shrugged across the table at each other.

We decided it was Pal's birthday and what harm could it do. "It's a lesson to remind us why we don't have one." Anyway, after about 6 minutes I had had enough. I told the kids I thought the tube was ruining the party, and I'd ask if we could turn it off. (Only one other guy was in there reading the paper). The chef said, "please tell the it isn't me! I don't want to be the mean one." She was laughing as she said it, but she really did worry that they'd turn on her like snakes.

They didn't. One of them squawked for a bit. We heard him out, but by the time he was done the other two were playing i spy and he rolled right into that game. After about 2 minutes they were back in a festive groove. We went for ice cream, then swimming lessons and everyone was happy. (Notwithstanding the cheating accusation during i spy.

I rarely have issues about our tube-free life, and I'm not really complainng about anything. I just thought it was kind of interesting how zoned out they became immediately, and how easily it was to redirect things after all.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#2 of 3 Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 AM

I absolutely hate hate HATE tvs in public places, esp restaurants! If I wanted to watch tv while I ate, I would stay home and do it! B/c we do not have one, it is super-distracting to me & my eyes will always drift to it. It really ruins the good time, blech.

It sounds like you had a v fun time!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#3 of 3 Old 03-26-2009, 03:05 PM

Oh my gosh. I can't stand going to restaurants and seeing all the kids just staring at the TV - i'm sure most of them get plenty of it at home. There is a family-friendly restaurant nearby that really does have a nice set-up, except there must be 50 TVs in the place. They are seriously each only spaced a couple feet apart - so you can't help but watch 3 or 4 TVs at a time. It is horrible. We don't go there anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page