Our 22 month old DVD junky - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had to tell you all how we made mistake & how we fixed it. My DD was TV-free until a couple months ago. I got pregnant and feeling icky made me weak and I started putting DVD's in so I could lay down and she would be entertained. At first it was no big deal. She would watch for a few minutes and then leave the room to play. We mainly watched Charlotte's Web and Toy Story so we'd talk about the animal. Then Valentines Day approached and my DH had big plans which included leaving DD with a sitter for the first time. I was nervous and had a "brilliant" idea to get her a new DVD. That DVD became my nightmare - ever since Valentines Day she started asking for it all day long. at first i let her watch it once a day, then i caved and let her watch it twice, then the tantrums started happening every time I said no. I literally felt like I couldn't survive the days - nothing I did was distracting DD from this DVD. Finally, she had a huge tantrum when DH was home. That was enough for him - he completely removed the TV. He hid the whole thing in the closet. And you know what happened - she hasn't asked for it since. The first couple days she would ask for it and we would point out that the TV was gone so we wouldn't be watching the DVD. And now it's been over a month and we have a happy daughter back. She plays with toys, makes a mess of the house, and we're happy.

So to anyone tempted to introduce the TV to their toddler to give themselves a little break, I highly advise against it. Obviously, not all kids will be like my DD but i guess you just can't know until you try it and this was not worth it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM

This is a good example of why I think in tv, unlike almost anything else, moderation is the hardest path. Tv free works when there is simply no tv in the house, no option or temptation for it. And although not my preferred method, I think total tv access can work for some families too, where kids entirely get to regulate their own use. But moderation, especially imposed moderation with parentally set limits, sets up tv as this Really Important Thing/forbidden fruit, and there is almost inevitably a power struggle, usually to the detriment of the parent/child relationship.

Sorry you got so overwhelmed you needed it, and so glad you have your daughter "back"!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM

Thank you for posting this, flower. I'm in the first trimester 'ick' right now too and have been feeling really sorry for myself since I have to interact with my toddler all day when I really just want to lay on the couch and moan.

I needed to hear this!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 AM

Thanks for this topic. DS is 21 months, we have no television just a computer. I have had a terrible cold all week and I broke out a baby einstein....he is now obscessed with it, he loves the tractors and chickens! As nice as the break has been this is the end of dvd watchingfor him as he is now asking for it several times throughout the day and if I do not put it on he will throw terrible tantrums that I have never seen before. It is scary.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August

User Tag List