Help! No TV, but the Computer is taking over - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't had a TV in years. The children watch it sometimes at relatives houses, but it has never been a priority for them. We do go to the movie theater sometimes, and used to have a occasional "movie night" at home on the computer.

All of the sudden my girls are obsessed with watching Pokemon movies on the computer, and playing computer games. It only became an option a 2 months ago when we purchased a 2nd computer and put it up in the attic. Before that there was one laptop we all shared (DH left his at work) and it was usually in a drawer. I thought the novelty of the new computer would wear off. I thought the novelty of pokemon would wear off. It just seems to be getting worse. They currently watch about 2 hours each day while DS is napping.
My feeling is that it is NOT going to resolve in its own. Any thoughts?

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#2 of 2 Old 05-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In your situation I would probably limit computer time. Say, one or two hour-long "turns" per day. Make playing computer a special event, not an ongoing activity.
As a kid I played a decent amount of computer (we didn't really get TV either) but it was somewhat self limiting as there were 3 of us and only one computer. We would get hour-long turns which we policed each other on as we all wanted a turn. My parents would go through phases of letting us have more or less turns.
Currently my youngest brother (10) gets 1 or 2 hours a day (he is the only kid left at home so my mom has to enforce this). It seems to work fairly well. My mom also encourages my little brother to notice the physical signs in his body that he's been on the computer for too a long (like getting spaced out, cramped, grumpy). He reads and plays outside a lot more than he would if he got to decide how long he got to play computer each day

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page