Advice Please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have posted a few times about making the move to go TV free. DH is really against it. But, he is compromising, and we are doing a trial run May 15 - June 15. I am doing a lot of prep to make the month very smooth and enjoyable with the hopes that he agrees to keep the TV after June 15.

Can I get some advice? I have been keeping a journal of our TV watching habits over the past week. I wrote down what we watched, when we watched, how long it was on, and why it was on. What I am looking for is ideas on what we could have been doing during that time instead.

Here is my journal...
http://farewellmydish.blogspot.com/

For example, I realized that I had a habit of turning on the TV after breakfast while I cleaned up and put the baby down for a nap. So, I put together a craft box for the kids to play with instead.

TIA for your advice!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#2 of 8 Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM

I just glanced quickly through your log and had a few thougts.

The craft idea is a great one, especially if it isn't a super mess maker. There is nothing like cleaning up and finding that in the time you cleaned your kids made another mess that will take another 20 minutes to clean.

My two little kids play with playdough after breakfast a few mornings a week. It's messy but the clean-up can be quick. They also just mill about with their toys, talk and look at books. I have a drawing/coloring/schoolwork table set up in what in any normal family would be the dining room but here it is known as the workroom.

This year I used my 2 yo's nap time to teach my daughter to read and to introduce her to basic math concepts. We spent about an hour doing all kinds of fun reading activities. We really loved that time together and she is a great little reader. I use the second hour to prep/make dinner and get my older boys to focus on their work.

My DH works many evenings so I usually ride my stationary bike (with a DVD playing) and read/prepare for the next days' lessons/activities meals.

When he's home, we usually just chat. If one of us is up to the effort we'll light a few candles and make snacks. Sometimes we just do ur hobby-ish stuff.

Does that help?

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#3 of 8 Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 PM

How about audio books to help entertain the kiddos while you are doing chores?
#4 of 8 Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 PM

I think you're really not that far from being tv-free already, especially since you've got the morning routine changed now. The craft box might not work forever, or every day, but once you get the kids out of the mindset that, "after breakfast we watch tv" then you are 99% there!

And don't worry overly about your DH. In my family, I am the tv-free one, and my kids don't even ask me if they can watch - they know that I *never* let them. With DH, they ask-plead-badger until he finally gives in. But he sees how they are with me, and slowly he is realizing that it may actually be true that life is better without tv!

Good luck!!
#5 of 8 Old 04-17-2009, 12:10 PM

i recommend moving the tv to somewhere where you can't see it-- like a closet.
#6 of 8 Old 04-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Hmm. If your DH is the hard one to convince, then I'd focus on what you're going to do in the evenings after the kids are asleep. I looked at your log quickly and it seems like you guys watch something pretty much every evening. Are you going to keep a TV for watching movies occasionally? Or is your ultimate goal to get rid of it completely? Either way, if you want to reduce your own screen time, figure out some things you can do in the evenings. That might mean getting some good books to read, finding some engrossing board games, working on a puzzle, or something else entirely, but it will be a lot easier if you have a plan for what to do on those evenings where you're wiped out and only want to veg. FWIW, we're not 100% TV free, we (parents) do watch a movie together every week or two, and our ds gets to watch a video on infrequent occasions (such as when we have another family over for dinner and the parents want to sit and talk and the kids are getting wild), which happen about once every month or two.

And I heartily second moving the TV somewhere out of sight - and then covering it with a blanket or something in its out of sight location so the kids don't see it and get reminded of it all over!

Good luck! I hope you really like the TV-free change for your family. I see such a huge difference in kids who watch tv regularly - and even in my ds the few times when he was younger and got to spend several hours with videos when I was wiped-out sick. That change in DS after even a signle prolonged video session was enough to confirm for us that we much prefer our very limited video exposure!
#7 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 01:40 AM

I agree with the PP that if your DH is the one to convince then focus on making him happy tv-free. Kids tend to adjust to change much better than we do! Maybe pick up a few really good books you think he might like. And are there any projects you never have time for? (photo albums, baby books, making CDs, etc?) Perhaps you could plan to work on those in the evenings. For most people, going tv free is hard at first as you sort of have this withdrawal period. But after that it's a revelation and you realize how much happier and free you feel. I can't imagine ever going back to watching tv

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#8 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to help me out. These are such wonderful suggestions and insights.

[QUOTE=suziek;13556142]I have a drawing/coloring/schoolwork table set up in what in any normal family would be the dining room but here it is known as the workroom.

This year I used my 2 yo's nap time to teach my daughter to read and to introduce her to basic math concepts. We spent about an hour doing all kinds of fun reading activities. We really loved that time together and she is a great little reader. I use the second hour to prep/make dinner and get my older boys to focus on their work.
QUOTE]

I had been considering turning our unused coffee table into a craft table. I have some unused knobs that I could screw in for hooks to hang our totes full of craft supplies. Thanks for the encouragement on that one!

I had been using naptime as special time to help my oldest with letters and numbers until the baby came along. Now, I am usually so tired by the time naptime comes around that I just need to lay down for a bit. DS has been taking a nap with me over the past week, but then it is very hard to get him to go to bed at night. So, I guess that I will just have to get by without rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
How about audio books to help entertain the kiddos while you are doing chores?
Thanks so much for that idea! They loved storynory.com when we listened around the holidays. I will have to revisit that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiandelismom View Post
I think you're really not that far from being tv-free already, especially since you've got the morning routine changed now. The craft box might not work forever, or every day, but once you get the kids out of the mindset that, "after breakfast we watch tv" then you are 99% there!

And don't worry overly about your DH. In my family, I am the tv-free one, and my kids don't even ask me if they can watch - they know that I *never* let them. With DH, they ask-plead-badger until he finally gives in. But he sees how they are with me, and slowly he is realizing that it may actually be true that life is better without tv!

Good luck!!
Thanks for the encouragement. I will have to keep this in mind especially on the weekends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear207 View Post
i recommend moving the tv to somewhere where you can't see it-- like a closet.
We have FOUR of them. I had one 13" black and white until I met DH. Now, it is like they are just staring at me wherever I go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Hmm. If your DH is the hard one to convince, then I'd focus on what you're going to do in the evenings after the kids are asleep. I looked at your log quickly and it seems like you guys watch something pretty much every evening. Are you going to keep a TV for watching movies occasionally? Or is your ultimate goal to get rid of it completely? Either way, if you want to reduce your own screen time, figure out some things you can do in the evenings. That might mean getting some good books to read, finding some engrossing board games, working on a puzzle, or something else entirely, but it will be a lot easier if you have a plan for what to do on those evenings where you're wiped out and only want to veg. FWIW, we're not 100% TV free, we (parents) do watch a movie together every week or two, and our ds gets to watch a video on infrequent occasions (such as when we have another family over for dinner and the parents want to sit and talk and the kids are getting wild), which happen about once every month or two.

And I heartily second moving the TV somewhere out of sight - and then covering it with a blanket or something in its out of sight location so the kids don't see it and get reminded of it all over!

Good luck! I hope you really like the TV-free change for your family. I see such a huge difference in kids who watch tv regularly - and even in my ds the few times when he was younger and got to spend several hours with videos when I was wiped-out sick. That change in DS after even a signle prolonged video session was enough to confirm for us that we much prefer our very limited video exposure!
I really need to take a closer look at our evenings. We used to put the kids to bed and then workout together, but he hurt his back. So, we haven't been doing a whole lot besides watching TV. We used to play board games a lot and we really wanted to learn how to play chess. Thanks for the insight to get me pointed in the right direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth2008 View Post
I agree with the PP that if your DH is the one to convince then focus on making him happy tv-free. Kids tend to adjust to change much better than we do! Maybe pick up a few really good books you think he might like. And are there any projects you never have time for? (photo albums, baby books, making CDs, etc?) Perhaps you could plan to work on those in the evenings. For most people, going tv free is hard at first as you sort of have this withdrawal period. But after that it's a revelation and you realize how much happier and free you feel. I can't imagine ever going back to watching tv
I know I will really enjoy being TV free. I would love for my kids to pretend play without one of their imaginary characters being Shrek or Super Why. And, my background is in marketing, so I get sick to my stomach just seeing the advertising methods that are being used on children these days. So, it is just convicing my DH.

It is like when we are leaving a playdate, and to keep the kids from having a "I don't wanna leave" meltdown I make the next activity we are going to even more enticing. I am trying to use the same methodology with my family and TV. I am trying to replace TV with better, more exciting and worthwhile things so they don't miss it!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page