Today is my birthday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother got me a TV.

And I've already got a TV. And I don't care about TVs. If I have one I watch it but if I don't have one I don't miss it. I'm not a fan of TVs.

And she's the only person who ever buys me anything, so that's that.

Sigh.

I'm making a shameless birthday grab for sympathy!

There are so many things that I really want/need that I can't afford to buy for myself. And she doesn't have much money either so it really upsets me that she spent so much money for a brand new fancy shmancy flat screen TV that I don't want. She almost always asks me what I want and gets what I ask for. I'm pretty sure her boyfriend is the person who told her that I couldn't possibly want anything more than a TV. It's more a present for himself than for me. As soon as I unwrapped it he started talking about it and how many digital channels I'd be able to get and he really wanted to set it up right away and see how many channels it could get and yadda yadda yadda. It's a toy for him to play with. I guess he assumes that everyone else likes the same things he likes and he assumes that TV is as important to me as it is to most people. He used to be a cable guy, so he's used to the world revolving around TVs and he's used to being around people who love TV so much that they're willing to pay lots of money for lots of channels. Sorry, I didn't mean to go on and on about it! I actually meant to end this post after "grab for sympathy." I guess it bothers me even more than I thought it did. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#2 of 6 Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would be really upset. I'm sorry.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 6 Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

I just got an email from my mother that confirms that the TV was her boyfriend's idea. The email also indicates that he chose it based on the fact that it's what he would want himself. Not that I asked her; she just happened to mention it.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#4 of 6 Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 PM

can you return it and get yourself something you would like an explain to your mother that you already have one
#5 of 6 Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

She knows I already have a tv. I know her boyfriend would be offended if it were returned. I'm not going to use it, though. I didn't take it out of the box.

#6 of 6 Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM

I'd return it. Boyfriend will get over it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page