Frustrated with DH- Turning off the TV - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made the decision a few days ago that I didn't want DD watching TV ANYMORE. Not for a long awhile anyway. Since moving here (about seven months ago) she has been watching way too much TV and I can tell that it's affecting her behavior and also she doesn't seem to know what to do when it's turned off. She never watched TV before we moved here, so I'm really ashamed that I've let it get this bad.

Well, I guess I didn't communicate this well to DH. I brought it up a few times but he doesn't "get it". I left the room for a few minutes, came back and the TV was on. I said I didn't want her watching TV. And he said, "At all?? What are we, Amish now?"

Then he said, "Can she just watch this episode and then turn it off?" I agreed (since if we turned it off now she would launch into a huge tantrum) and reminded him not to turn it on again afterward.

What's amazing to me about this is since DD knows how to work the TV/DVD player (we don't have cable or any channels, only movies and TV shows on DVD), I unplugged all of it so she wouldn't be able to turn it on while I wasn't around. So he had to move the TV stand to plug it all back in. Didn't he get the hint when it was obvious I went through the trouble to keep it turned off??

Thanks for the vent!
#2 of 4 Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM

Hugs. That's frustrating. I'm sure it's a big transition for your DH. Maybe you can show him some books or articles to get him more on the same page with you?

It took a while for my DH to fully support turning off (and eventually getting rid of) the TV, but he did come around. So, it's not impossible
#3 of 4 Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM

yeah,my 5 yr old definitely knows how to run the whole tv,dvd player and all! I have to hide the cords. They mostly watch nature documentaries,but I prefer them to be outside. DH also doesn't have enough patience to do things like reading instead of poppin in a flick for them to watch. He will take them fishing all day or catching lizards and stuff,but once in the house,forget it.:
#4 of 4 Old 04-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Maybe you can set up some activities for DH to do with your DD.. coloring, play dough, games to play together or toys that she and DH could play with together (train or car table/tracks) to give them a ready option verses tv?
HTH?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page